Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My alter ego did something naughty today.

Sensible Lulu did all sorts of useful things today: she unblocked a drain, cleaned the patio, visited a loved one in hospital and hoovered.

Then Crazy Lulu jumped in the motor, drove to Sherwoods and bought a Celestron 8se!

It's enormous!

I can't afford to eat this month.

I am locking up my alter ego until she can behave.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's rather a large piece of kit to haul around - it's as tall as me!

Putting it together was a bit of a challenge.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Orion nebula...

Any more suggestions as to possible targets, which will look much better in the 8se than they did in the 4se?

Nice Scope Lulu :thumbright:

Saturn will be great through that scope - I had some my best views ever of Saturn through a Celestron 8 inch SCT :(

John

PS: You will need some sort of dew prevention for it - a dew sheild or a dew band.

Got my dew shield at the same time...

And a multi-function power pack - I can run my scope, power a hairdryer, heat up my hair straighteners and get the kettle on - all at the same time!

I may be blonde, but I like to buy kit.

£1.99 and 2 curly wurlies!!! I will have to think about it, it will take some time, a year or two, but I might be tempted.

BTW have you caught aperture fever? I suppose we will know when your next adventure into the land of "astronomical price" retail therapy makes you buy a matching 16" Dobsonian.

Which reminds me I have an eye on............... :)

Pete

Oh... have you cursed us with post purchase cloudy skies? :(

BTW have you caught aperture fever? I suppose we will know when your next adventure into the land of "astronomical price" retail therapy makes you buy a matching 16" Dobsonian.

Pete

No way...have pulled the purse strings tight shut!

No clothes, no make-up and no jewellery for months and months and months....(although there might be a short French holiday)...

And the dining room already has two scopes in it - a Dob wouldn't fit.

I am normal and back in control...really....

Told you didn't I - ten minutes into astro and us girls forget all about handbags, makeup.

There I was with a collection of Prada, Coccinelle, and Tula and then I start astronomy. Small and simple I thought - just a little 6" telescope. Next thing I know I have an 8" Newtonian, EPs, Filters, extra red dot finders, more EPs, collimators, flightcases, books, more eyepieces, an extra scope ( just in case ), tents, walking boots on and on it goes.....

I just noticed I havent bought a new dress since I decided to take up astro - wont be much longer before I have to live on Special K with the amount of cash thats going out the door on astro - sighs.

Never mind - enjoy the new scope Lulu - am sure it will be a great.

I am very envious, Lulu.

I can't really stretch to the 8SE, but I'm just about to get myself a 6SE. So I'm excited. :cheers:

Let us know how you get on with your new toy.

Bit concerned about it being huge. Part of the reason for going for the SE is because it's supposed to be compact...

However, the 6 will be considerably smaller than the 8.

Which powerpack did you get?

Bit concerned about it being huge. Part of the reason for going for the SE is because it's supposed to be compact...

However, the 6 will be considerably smaller than the 8.

Which powerpack did you get?

It is huge compared to the 4se, but I can still hoist the whole rig up to shoulder height and carry it around without the tripod scraping the floor (but it is a whole head taller than me when I do that).

The powerpack I bought is the £50 yellow and black one from Sherwoods.

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/celestron_scopes/celestron_accessories_fs.htm

Still waiting to get out and play - it looks too hazy tonight.

Archived