Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My alter ego did something naughty today.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think your great in the lifting carrying department.

I find mine OK to move but then I am a 6ft2" 18 stone bat fastard

I'm 5ft5", but determined.

And I also carry a bit of ballast. I think it must help in lowering my centre of gravity.

Dew / Ice is a problem.

I use a home made cardboard dew shield which works well most of the time. When it fails a quick blast with a 12 v hairdryer works and its cheaper than the high tech solutions... dew strips etc and it works on the eyepiece and telrad as well. Come to think ofit I have been blasting the piggyback camera as well. It probably doesnt help noise but hell you cant take pics through frost!!!!

Just got in from viewing Orion nebula and Venus with my 8se and my Televue Ethos.

I am in love.

I may never need a man ever again.

(Sigh)

Just a couple of points though:

I slid the tube quite a way forward on the dovetail bar to counterbalance the Ethos and to stop the focuser hitting the mount when I was viewing near the zenith. Is this OK, as long as it is safely secured? Can't seem to find any advice about it in the booklet.

Also, the Ethos has a notch cut in it to fit over the securing screws: this fit perfectly on my 4se, but not on the 8se's star diagonal. I can still attach it, but not so snugly. Is this just a fact I'll have to live with, or can I do anything about it?

Ta in advance for any advice, guys!

Lulu

....Also, the Ethos has a notch cut in it to fit over the securing screws: this fit perfectly on my 4se, but not on the 8se's star diagonal. I can still attach it, but not so snugly. Is this just a fact I'll have to live with, or can I do anything about it?

You will obviously want your Ethos well secured on the scope - you could upgrade to an 2" diagonal then use the Ethos in 2" mode. Personally I would not trust the standard 1.25" Celestron diagonal to hold £300+ worth of eyepiece !.

John

I am in love.

(Sigh)

typical gets an 8 inch toy and doesn't want to know about men anymore :(

seriously though enjoy your new kit, i'm aiming for something similar once ive got a pier and eq6 sorted out .

BTW anyone want to take a guess how long before she cracks and buy's something else ?

I am in love.

(Sigh)

typical gets an 8 inch toy and doesn't want to know about men anymore :)

seriously though enjoy your new kit, i'm aiming for something similar once ive got a pier and eq6 sorted out .

BTW anyone want to take a guess how long before she cracks and buy's something else ?

Soon I think, I suspect the kids will have all their Curly Wurlies, mars bars, cell phones, blackberrys, game boys etc confiscated and sold by Lulu inc. at the local car boot! To help pay for a 16 incher :(

Congratulations on the new scope... and the weight loss that will result from your purchase. Dashed clever these women, always multi-tasking.

Astro Baby says she hasnt bought any make up since she got into this hobby. Well I have. I have a collection of eyeliner pens for marking off targets on my laminated skycharts and some kind of brush which cleans dust from eye-pieces.

I also have a reputation at my local superdrug.

I amazed my husband a couple of weeks ago by buying nail varnish - I've never ever used nail varnish, let alone bright red.....yep, you've guessed it, painting out the lens on a torch! :(

Oh, and the small, hard-sided make up travel cases are great for eyepieces and stuff too!

Helen

Oh, and the small, hard-sided make up travel cases are great for eyepieces and stuff too!

Helen

I've got a Sanctuary toiletries case and 3 Clarins freebie-bags that would fit the job perfectly.

(When the lady at the Clarins counter knows you by name, you know you've gone too far...)

As for getting a 16" Dob - no, no, no, no, no!

It all stops here.

I may go to a star party and try someone else's, but I have spent enough food money on astronomy this year.

Really.

Helen

I've got a Sanctuary toiletries case and 3 Clarins freebie-bags that would fit the job perfectly.

(When the lady at the Clarins counter knows you by name, you know you've gone too far...)

As for getting a 16" Dob - no, no, no, no, no!

It all stops here.

I may go to a star party and try someone else's, but I have spent enough food money on astronomy this year.

Really.

As for getting a 16" Dob - no, no, no, no, no! eh Vicar of Dibley??

As for getting a 16" Dob - yes yes yes yes - I bet later and you could store all your make up bags inside of one for neatness sake!

Or a 12 inch - less confiscated curly wurlies.

Aperture fever WILL strike. Oh sorry already happened. :(

Good hunting with your new scope.

Archived