Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sh2-240 Panel 1,2,3,4,5,6 (Spaghetti Nebula)

tooth_dr

A reallly fascinating target that must be on every APs todo list.  I missed it last year so trying it this year.

I stayed up late waiting for the clouds to clear, and eventually got running around midnight.

I've misjudged how imaging a 'sphere' translates to a flat image, and even with the 12% overlap, it is tight, and I may have to do another two panels or crop it.

I did image Oiii at the same time, binned 2x2,with the ED80, but for some reason my JTW saddle has moved (left-right) since the night before (as I spent quite a while aligning it very precisely on Tuesday night).  This means my Oiii panels are out about 300 pixels.  I'll need to see what has happened here.  Any input welcomed.  I did notice it after the third sub, but it was 1am and I needed to sleep.

On the plus side my Meridian flips and PHD2 seem to be working better, but I still feel the need to get up to check.

Here are the three Ha panels, panel 1 + 2 are 6 x 20 mins, panel 3 is 3 x 20 minutes.  No calibration data, just a quick stitch while getting ready for work.

SH2-240-mosaic.jpg.5f8f09936228cd235861978eae5f5063.jpg

sh2-240-Ha-session_test.thumb.jpg.ec672e852957f198c387787ee82140bb.jpg

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 13

I've processed hashed what data I have so far and have overdone it considerably - lack of exposure time and total lack of Oiii 😇 - but I am very much looking forward to continuing with this one - more data and more control.

• 4 hours 40 minutes of Oiii (2x2) with the ED80 @ F6.37
  • 4 hours 40 minutes of Ha (1x1) with the Epsilon @ F2.8
  • Data is split over 3 panels (2 hours + 2 hours + 40 minutes)
  • All captured between 23:05 on the 25th and 04:08 on the 26th November 2020

There is missing overlap (the JTW saddle moved) between the Oiii and Ha.  Another 2 nights would make a good dent in this.  It is nice to have something specific to work towards for a change.

I accidentally inverted the image and was amazed at how much detail could be seen in the billowing structure.   Reduced size images attached below.

Thanks!

Adam.

SH2-240-mosaic-test.jpg

SH2-240-mosaic-test-inverted.jpg

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 10

I've attached a gif of Oiii and Ha.  It's odd how the Oiii frames are not correctly aligned with the Ha, as the night before I spend time meticulously aligning both imaging trains.  I think the JTD saddle must have moved on the left to right axis. 

SH2-240.gif

Wow, the colour images are spectacular! This SNR always reminds me of those ultra fast photos taken of atom bomb tests taken in the 50’s and 60’s and your capture is no exception.

My dual Esprits are bolted together with a bracing plate across the top tube rings but they can and do still move.

• Thanks 1

Very nice Adam..  probably, but not necessarily the JTD moving as  it just demonstrates that there’s  relative movement.. if you have it I’d check the individual subs for each system in Pixinsight Blink or equivalent ..  this will show whether there’s any movement ..  dithers will show up but in between  the stars shouldn’t move if they do then that system is moving relative to the guide scope ..  I had it with my GT71 on a JTD saddle until I tightened it all up with a wrench 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Very nice Adam..  probably, but not necessarily the JTD moving as  it just demonstrates that there’s  relative movement.. if you have it I’d check the individual subs for each system in Pixinsight Blink or equivalent ..  this will show whether there’s any movement ..  dithers will show up but in between  the stars shouldn’t move if they do then that system is moving relative to the guide scope ..  I had it with my GT71 on a JTD saddle until I tightened it all up with a wrench 

Thanks Dave.  It was working before I fitted the JTD saddle, so most likely it's that.  It's hand tightened, so I'll try what worked for you, and tighten them up just a little bit more.

• Like 1

On 28/11/2020 at 22:40, tooth_dr said:

I've processed hashed what data I have so far and have overdone it considerably - lack of exposure time and total lack of Oiii 😇 - but I am very much looking forward to continuing with this one - more data and more control.

• 4 hours 40 minutes of Oiii (2x2) with the ED80 @ F6.37
  • 4 hours 40 minutes of Ha (1x1) with the Epsilon @ F2.8
  • Data is split over 3 panels (2 hours + 2 hours + 40 minutes)
  • All captured between 23:05 on the 25th and 04:08 on the 26th November 2020

There is missing overlap (the JTW saddle moved) between the Oiii and Ha.  Another 2 nights would make a good dent in this.  It is nice to have something specific to work towards for a change.

I accidentally inverted the image and was amazed at how much detail could be seen in the billowing structure.   Reduced size images attached below.

Thanks!

Adam.

SH2-240-mosaic-test.jpg

SH2-240-mosaic-test-inverted.jpg

This has the makings of a spectacular image Adam, once complete. Keep going! 

I'm usually not into inverted images much, but i really like this one. It reminds me of a tardigrade! 

You're not going to thank me for this Adam (you can feel a 'but' coming can't you?!)....but, once you are done with this as a Bi-Colour image, you should consider capturing some RGB as well, and extending the Fov. Your Nikon would be perfect for this. There is plenty of interesting stuff going on around the Spaghetti Nebula in broadband light, so it would make for a very interesting (and different) image to the Bi-Colour version. The idea being that it would essentially be a base broadband image, but just with the Ha and Oiii from the Spaghetti Nebula blended in to really make it stand out. Have a look at RBA's image below to give you an idea (note, he didn't shoot any Oiii). 

http://www.deepskycolors.com/archive/2011/12/08/simeis-147-and-surroundings.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Xiga said:

This has the makings of a spectacular image Adam, once complete. Keep going! 

I'm usually not into inverted images much, but i really like this one. It reminds me of a tardigrade! 

You're not going to thank me for this Adam (you can feel a 'but' coming can't you?!)....but, once you are done with this as a Bi-Colour image, you should consider capturing some RGB as well, and extending the Fov. Your Nikon would be perfect for this. There is plenty of interesting stuff going on around the Spaghetti Nebula in broadband light, so it would make for a very interesting (and different) image to the Bi-Colour version. The idea being that it would essentially be a base broadband image, but just with the Ha and Oiii from the Spaghetti Nebula blended in to really make it stand out. Have a look at RBA's image below to give you an idea (note, he didn't shoot any Oiii). 

http://www.deepskycolors.com/archive/2011/12/08/simeis-147-and-surroundings.html

~Wow that wider image is spectacular.  Thanks for sharing!  I 100% will be dedicating time to this region.  I feel like I've been faffing around a bit recently, nice to settle down into a project.  I wonder how the Nikon with the 180mm lens would fair out - would I be right in thinking a single frame would cover it - it calculates at 11.5 degrees by 7.5 degrees of area.

7 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

~Wow that wider image is spectacular.  Thanks for sharing!  I 100% will be dedicating time to this region.  I feel like I've been faffing around a bit recently, nice to settle down into a project.  I wonder how the Nikon with the 180mm lens would fair out - would I be right in thinking a single frame would cover it - it calculates at 11.5 degrees by 7.5 degrees of area.

It might cover the nebula (i haven't checked) but i doubt it would get in all the similar surroundings in RBA's version. If you use the 180mm lens, however, then you will have to register all the nice Tak data to it, and then you lose your image scale and all that nice close-up detail. Rather, i would just put the Nikon onto the Tak and see how many panels it would take to cover the whole area. You might be able to squeeze it all in in 4 panels. With 180mm of aperture, 2 hrs per panel would probably do it. With these long nights, you could do it in a single night. Well, if we ever get a clear night that is! 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Tom OD said:

Very nice. That semi circle on the left hand side caught me out before. I thought I had a flats issue, but its a dark area in the nebula.

Looking forward to the full result.

Tom.

Thank you Tom. Exactly my first thought too, was only when I looked at another image the next day I realised it was part of the nebula. 

A great project Adam and looking fantastic.  The OIII is so desperately faint, when I imaged it found that it was destroyed by the tiniest amount of high cloud.  I also found it very difficult to tease out from the background.  It is the only data where I felt my 12 bit data was hindering matters.  Good luck with the rest of the project.  You could probably do with the faster scope gathering the OIII!

5 minutes ago, MartinB said:

A great project Adam and looking fantastic.  The OIII is so desperately faint, when I imaged it found that it was destroyed by the tiniest amount of high cloud.  I also found it very difficult to tease out from the background.  It is the only data where I felt my 12 bit data was hindering matters.  Good luck with the rest of the project.  You could probably do with the faster scope gathering the OIII!

Thanks Martin.  I do feel a bit sorry for the ED80, but it's been with me from the beginning and I'm sentimental 😫  But it really struggles on all but the bright targets.  This was 20 mins subs binned 2x2 as well.

I totally understand your sentiments Adam. We do get attached to these things, don't we!? I feel exactly the same way about my modified D5300. It was my first proper astro camera, and i will never sell it. Not just because of the sentimentality of it, but because it's still bloody useful. 

I do agree with Martin though. This project really needs the Oiii to get the full Tak treatment to make the most of it. 

• Like 1

After a lot of trouble, when does it ever end with AP, I got 3 x 20mins on panel 3, 6 x 20 mins of panel 4, and 3 x 20mins on panel 5.  I'll get panel 6 done, then rejig the positioning of the panels to get a slightly bigger border at the top (and possibly bottom).  The moon hurt the SNR last night, but beggars cant be choosers.  Once I've enough data I'll do as Ciaran suggests as use the Tak to do a four panel background OSC RGB image.

This is a quick stack of the panels so far just to make alignment is ok.

SH2-240-Ha-5panels.jpg

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 2

Just the Ha for now, unable to utilise the Oiii data due to severe unevenness in the mosaic panels and captured half of it unbinned inadvertently.  Still it's only 18 hours of data that isnt being used (on a dual rig that's a bit easier to accept).

This is resized version, because it needs another 18 hours at least.  I added a bit of red, using NC actions in PS.

SH2-240-Ha-WIP.jpg

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Phillyo said:

Absolutely stunning. Can't wait to see the final full version!

Thanks 🙏 I am feeling a pretty disappointed that the oiii isn’t useable until I get another clear night.  I’ve tried stacking it in APP as many ways as I can think of and it’s just rubbish 🙈

30 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks 🙏 I am feeling a pretty disappointed that the oiii isn’t useable until I get another clear night.  I’ve tried stacking it in APP as many ways as I can think of and it’s just rubbish 🙈

Patience, as they say, is a virtue! 🤣

10 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

utilise the Oiii data due to severe unevenness in the mosaic panels

10 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I’ve tried stacking it in APP as many ways as I can think of and it’s just rubbish

It's looking good so far and as already mentioned, will be great to see your final version - whether that's something you complete this season or not 🙂

Have you been trying different LNC degrees and iterations for the uneven panels (I assume so from your comments above but thought I'd ask in case)

Edited by geeklee

Very nice Adam..  if you haven’t already done so then maybe try this.. check all subs in Pixinsights subframe selector and discard outliers ..   register and  integrate the panels separately ..  then background extraction, light stretch/ levels on each panel to get the backgrounds the same then register all against the master (I use Pixinsight Thin Plate splines plus distortion correction for this) and then integrate the whole lot in APP with Register switched off ..  you may have to use TIFs for this if APP objects 

HTH

Dave 

Wow Adam, you got some very good data there - this is a really exciting thread, keeping us all in suspense! I thought I should check how many panels I need for the RASA8, but it is a purely theoretical question right now since no one in Scandinavia has seen the sun or the moon since late November and no clear sky in sight in the 10 day forecasts.....