NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Mars in 10 years!

M110

The last time I had a go imaging Mars was more than 10 years ago (with decidedly poor results)! Since then, I had a long break from astronomy and since returning to the hobby have focused almost entirely on visual observing (my ASI120MC-S camera has been used a total of twice in the two years I've owned it).

Anyway, I decided I had to have another go at Mars given the current opposition and here's my first attempt at processing data from last night's run.

1407498371_8attempt2final.png.ce168d39f05808f8343101445b68ce34.png

I'm immensely chuffed as this is by far the best planetary image I've taken (although still far shy of some of the incredible ones I see here on SGL). Taken around 1am last night, through the C8, with Celestron X-Cel 2x barlow, with the ASI120MC-S.

Best 20% of 10000 frames stacked in AS3! and wavelets applied in Registax. Also tweaked the histogram a bit in Registax to adjust the brightness. No other processing so far, although I'm hoping to use this data to learn more about the processing side of things as I have no idea what the majority of options in both AS3! or Registax actually do! I also still have quite a bit more data to process (this is from 1 of 8x 10000 frame runs that I captured) so may be able to improve it further.

I loosely followed @JamesF 's guide to processing here: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/184821-beginners-guide-to-stacking-planetary-images-with-autostakkert2/

If anyone has any ideas on anything else I should do processing wise or links to other good tutorials I'd be grateful.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

That looks great!

The C8 does seem capable of great results given its a fairly modest aperture. If you have multiple image runs you might want to try combining them depending on how long they are of course. Last night I did lots of back to back 3 minute runs and then combine them in PIPP and ask PIPP to keep the best say 25%, and then put the resulting AVI through AS2/3 as  normal. 

As an eg, from my data last night it appears that 3 x 3 minute runs gave the best result.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the feedback :)

@Tommohawk thanks for the tip regarding PIPP, I hadn't realised it had  that functionality. I've gone back and taken the best 20% of frames from all my usable runs and combined them into a single AVI which I've processed the same as previously. Here's the result, which I think is marginally sharper than previously. I've also flipped the image to give the correct orientation as I realised I had it upside down!

1280728825_678attempt2final.png.4295114ef332cbf0de13a9e241d74981.png

• Like 6

• 5 months later...