Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars 2-10-2020 + 4 hour anim

AbsolutelyN

I received a ZWO 462MC earlier in the week and Thursday nights clear sky was a chance to give it see how it performs. It certainly managed a faster frame rate than the 224MC but I was unable to get focus in colour. IR was just fine for focus. I'm not sure if this was due to seeing or what but the colour images looked to have a lot of colour fringing presumably from the atmosphere. I was also using a new 5x barlow but that did great with the 224mc earlier in the week. 

The animation is approx 4 hours in IR. Stills about 30 mins derotated. All with 250PDS, 5x barlow and 462MC

Mars-IR-Anim.gif.f3c19b4efab52f8dfb3f290079f815d1.gif

MARS-IR-4-HOURS_SMALL.gif.36c50100d2f9f01726b7b322be145712.gif

IR-RGB

IRRGB.jpg.38c7450c73a594fcb9883c0f9de5d2af.jpg

IR:

2020-10-02-0021.png

Edited by AbsolutelyN
  • Like 33

Hi again @AbsolutelyN,

I just realized that you have the new ASI 462 MC and used to have the 224MC (same as I use). And I am contemplating about an "upgrade" to the 462MC. Looking forward to read more from you about how you like the 462MC in comparison to the 224MC.

One thing that came to my mind when I read your colour fringing comment: This might be trivial but did you use an IR blocking filter when shooting in colour? I know the 462 has a strong response in IR which might leak over to RGB and ruin your images when you do not use a IR blocking filter. Don't know how strong the effect is but I thought I ask about the blocking filter.

Clear Skies,

Alex

Edited by alex_stars

1 hour ago, alex_stars said:

Hi again @AbsolutelyN,

I just realized that you have the new ASI 462 MC and used to have the 224MC (same as I use). And I am contemplating about an "upgrade" to the 462MC. Looking forward to read more from you about how you like the 462MC in comparison to the 224MC.

One thing that came to my mind when I read your colour fringing comment: This might be trivial but did you use an IR blocking filter when shooting in colour? I know the 462 has a strong response in IR which might leak over to RGB and ruin your images when you do not use a IR blocking filter. Don't know how strong the effect is but I thought I ask about the blocking filter.

Clear Skies,

Alex

Hi Alex. I use a filter wheel so yes it had a zwo L filter for RGB which I think acts as a IR cut. That worked fine with the 224. Not sure what the issue was yet. I know before I started I was going to star collimate but seeing wasn't good enough so could  be collimation, seeing or as mentioned above perhaps oversampling. Weather is not co-operating here in UK so may be a while before have chance to try again. In terms of framerate it seemed faster - I was managing 190 frames per second at 350x350 pixels with 20 meter USB 3 cable. 

17 hours ago, AbsolutelyN said:

I use a filter wheel so yes it had a zwo L filter for RGB which I think acts as a IR cut.

Hi again. Yes, all those R,G,B, and L filters cut off IR. So than that was not your problem. Collimation maybe as you point out...

Enjoy your new 462 and clear skies!

• Thanks 1