Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Shark Nebula withat RASA 8 - finally good seeing

gorann

The moon is almost gone so I got the colour camera back on the RASA 8. I finally had good seeing last night, probably because it was also rather gusty. So I had guiding around 0.8"/pixel, which is good for my old NEQ6, and ok when I image at 1.94 "/pixel. Also the ASI2600MC must have got attached perfectly since the stars were round all the way to the corners for once. I used no darks (not needed with this low-noise camera) or flats since I have managed to keep the system dustfree so far.

This fantasy provoking nebula is very faint so f/2 helped getting most out of a short night. I managed to grab 68 x 4 min, so about 4.5 hours.

EDIT: When I see it posted it may be that I should tune down the sky brightness a bit?

20200912-13 LDN1235 RASA PS18smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 36

22 minutes ago, AbsolutelyN said:

Superb image Goran. Also great to hear you got sharp starts to the edge. 

15 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

WOW is that ever a rich image, those RASA scopes are speed demons, amazing work!

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. The colours are quite rich but that is the way they came out - I did litte to enhance them. I can only blame the fantastic camera.

Edited by gorann

Great result and what's particularly reassuring is the strong blue signal from the faint reflection nebulae (and they are faint even if they don't look it here!) If you're feeling fired up there is lots more shapely dust below the Shark itself.

Because the noise is so low I think you just about get away with that level of brightness but in order to give the image that 'something held in reserve' look I might ease it down a touch if it were mine.

Olly

7 hours ago, ParallaxPete said:

Wow, that's a beautiful image! I have been binging on ASI2600MC images recently (I have one on order) and this is the nicest one I have seen so far.

Thanks a lot for you kind words. I hope you camera arrives soon - I had to wait half a year for mine.

8 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Great result and what's particularly reassuring is the strong blue signal from the faint reflection nebulae (and they are faint even if they don't look it here!) If you're feeling fired up there is lots more shapely dust below the Shark itself.

Because the noise is so low I think you just about get away with that level of brightness but in order to give the image that 'something held in reserve' look I might ease it down a touch if it were mine.

Olly

Thanks a lot Olly! Yes, this camera is really good at picking up both blue and red. It could also be that the low noise allows for more stretching than usual. I will have a look for more details.

Edited by gorann

14 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

That's one mean looking shark Gorann. Nice image.

Thanks Richard! Although someone seeing it told me it looks like a predator coming in from above swallowing a pray that screams out its fear. I can see that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gorann said:

Thanks Richard! Although someone seeing it told me it looks like a predator coming in from above swallowing a pray that screams out its fear. I can see that.

The field of view in this one shows a second prey fish 😎

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/360619-shark-attack-ldn-12351251/?do=findComment&comment=3944036

26 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks Adam - you just convinced me of my next target! I had recently seen it called the Gobie nebula - not sure if that is an official name, and I have found no proper designation for it.

https://www.astrobin.com/j0keb9/

• Like 1

I and Olly @ollypenrice have has some interesting email discussions and analyses of the image this afternoon. I have reduced the brightness slightly and brought out a bit more details as the data would allow that, and then fixed some small odd patches that seemed overly blue and related to dark patches on in red channel of unknown origin. Olly must have a photogaphic memory of all the AP he has seen, so he spotted them. Thanks Olly!

20200912-13 LDN1235 RASA PS21smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 3

That looks super and out of this world for the exposure time.

(My suspicion of the blue patches didn't begin by my not remembering them in other images. Rather it was their shape, colour and distribution which looked artificial, particularly their colour. It was only then that I looked for other images. The odd colour was easily explained later by a simple absence of red.)

Olly