Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Abell 85

Kinch

I have so many versions of this on my computer.....but I think this will be a final.....except that I live in hope to gather more OIII to bring out that blue a bit more. This, as is, is 15 hours Ha + 11 hours OIII + 3 hours RGB.  This particular version saw me making an HOO image then, trying to smooth things out a bit....brought Ha back in to make it HaHoo. After that I brought the RGB data in - only to coulour the stars. Hours of work - and quite pleased with this one.....but will be better pleased if I can get more OIII.

This is extremely faint.....I think those of you with CMOS might be better placed to bring this out stronger......though it is always a challenge to make it sit out from the background Ha.

Image17_rotate-crop - Sign (1461 x 1008).jpg

Edited by Kinch
Slight change on image - though just the same data.
  • Like 22

1 hour ago, Adreneline said:

Very nice and well worth all the time and effort you've invested so far.

Thanks for that. As is I am quite pleased but of course....we always want to improve 🤓

25 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Incredible, nice to see such a great image of this very faint target.  

Yes.....one of the faintest objects I have attempted - can see nothing on 10 minute subs unless one adjusts the histogram way over......and even then, there is only a hint of something there. Of course a much larger scope would pull it in easier.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarkAR said:

Worth trying for some more Oiii it does look faint though.

As in my reply above.....the Ha is bad....but the OIII is even worse. But as you say....hopefully it will be worth trying for more....perhaps even another 6 hours of OIII.

1 hour ago, alan potts said:

26 hours, may not be a record but that is one heck of a lot of data

Thanks Alan......yes, a lot of data and perhaps more needed. (I am not commiting to that until I see how things go this weekend. From Monday next I think I will have to look for my next target.....too much time on one image is bad for the 'soul')

2 minutes ago, Kinch said:

Thanks Alan......yes, a lot of data and perhaps more needed. (I am not commiting to that until I see how things go this weekend. From Monday next I think I will have to look for my next target.....too much time on one image is bad for the 'soul')

I know you want to enhance the blue having read what you said about, can you not cheat and do this in PS by choosing Select, using Colour Range and then laying what ever you want into only that colour, I use it a lot and it will not touch the reds.

Alan

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the idea.....in truth, although I have PS I rarely use it and thus....cannot do very much with it. I guess I could also try something similar in PI ???. I was looking at other images of this object during the night and one I liked had a lot more OIII data than Ha data....hence my thoughts on which way I should go (i.e. get more OIII data). To date, my OIII data has not been the best and I have already dumped about 10 subs (over 1.5 hours) and still the background on the OIII master is very 'lumpy'........another reason that I want to try finish this by getting more OIII. I think I will have a chance tonight.....but I will stick with it over the weekend anyway. Perhaps by Monday, I will have a new 'final'    🤞 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Physopto said:

That is a cracking image. I had a look at your website and, Yes I do prefer the wider view, but very close.

Derek

Thanks Derek. (Like me re the 2 images on the website - I think the wider FoV just pips the crop.....but I was not 100% sure.......hence putting up the two of them). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Superb image Brendan.

1 hour ago, sloz1664 said:

Great image Brendan and well worth the imaging time.

Steve

Richard, Steve,

Thank you both for the comments. I know I have matched this data time before, but itseems like I have been going back and back to processing this one forever. In the end - I am happy enough with it.......but happy too to be able to move on to something new.  🤓

22 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Very nice indeed Brendan. Being so faint, it would be very easy to overdo the sharpening on this, but I think you've judged it perfectly.  

Thanks very much Ciarán - sometimes it looks fine to me and at other times I think I should do more......but I have spent too much processing time on this now.....time to move on 😏

1 hour ago, morimarty said:

Thats just superb Brendan. 10 minutes and still nothing there. Wow that is faint. I can see it as been meticulously processed and it's well worth your every second spent Excellent.

Thanks so much Martyn - very kind words indeed.