NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Massive prom southern limb

Steve Clay

That prom is absolutely stunning! I had a look just now on my lunch break, and watched two bright patches in the prominence literally falling down towards the surface, moving visually in a matter of a few minutes until the lowest one merged with the surface and the other just seemed to disappear. It’s the most dynamic prom I’ve ever seen!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Highburymark said:

Can’t remember a more stunning prom!! Filament’s very nice too.

Bet it looks amazing in your kit Mark. Looks pretty cracking in the PST Mod, plenty of detail in there and it’s very bright considering the size, often the big ones can be faint. I assume it is arcing over from behind the limb and touching down just on the limb, gives an excellent perception of how it actually is in three dimensions when you think about it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Bet it looks amazing in your kit Mark. Looks pretty cracking in the PST Mod, plenty of detail in there and it’s very bright considering the size, often the big ones can be faint. I assume it is arcing over from behind the limb and touching down just on the limb, gives an excellent perception of how it actually is in three dimensions when you think about it.

It does look incredible, but requires full blackout due to faintness as you say Stu. I suspect it looks even better through your 100mm scope though - aperture all important. Think where the Solarscope really delivers is on filaments and active regions - where etalon finesse and narrow bandwidth are particularly important 

20 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

It does look incredible, but requires full blackout due to faintness as you say Stu. I suspect it looks even better through your 100mm scope though - aperture all important. Think where the Solarscope really delivers is on filaments and active regions - where etalon finesse and narrow bandwidth are particularly important 

Yes, the hood really helps the contrast and shows up a lot more detail. The PST Mod is very good on proms, but is a bit lacking on surface detail. I can see the filament but it is not ‘in your face’. As you say, each has different strengths.

Looked again just now and it seems to be fading.  Noted the falling blobs of plasma mentioned by Stu.  I got the impression that it was a solar mass ejection rather than an arched prom(?), was hoping to see it lift off.     🙂

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Peter Drew said:

I got the impression that it was a solar mass ejection rather than an arched prom(?), was hoping to see it lift off. 

Interesting Peter, thanks. I guess I saw the arched shape towards the top and put two and two together to make five! 🤣 Amazing sight, would be good to understand it more fully.

Hence the (?), could be either.  Proms rarely elongate like that unless they lift off just one end.  Interesting object, the Sun!.   DSO imagers see stars only as points of light, we solar enthusiasts see a star in action with close up detail!      🙂    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

Hence the (?), could be either.  Proms rarely elongate like that unless they lift off just one end.  Interesting object, the Sun!.   DSO imagers see stars only as points of light, we solar enthusiasts see a star in action with close up detail!      🙂    

Thanks Peter. I guess in terms of speed of change it was unlike a prom. The motion was very much downwards so I guess it must have gone up from somewhere else?  I saw three or perhaps four plasma blobs (I like that description!) falling down to the surface, I’ve never seen anything like that before.

26 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

It’s still being described by Space Weather as a prominence rather than a mass ejection or flare. But it was remarkable how fast it grew and how quickly it faded. 

I guess I saw this kind of arching shape and assumed it was a prominence, albeit a large and fast moving one. @Ibbo!, I hope you don’t mind me marking up a crop of your image to illustrate what I’m rambling on about?

B7EB4EB3-104E-4DFE-AA98-4EC0612B5A87.jpeg

• Like 1