SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Massive prom southern limb

Steve Clay

5 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Wonder how many earths tall it is? Hazard a guess at about 20?

Back of a fag packet calculation - it was one fifth the diameter of the Sun, or around 280,000km, which would make it 22 times the size of the earth.

I see what you’re getting at Stu - I didn’t see as much detail in the arch as you did - that second fork was quite faint in my scope. I should have tried single stack for that.

2 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Back of a fag packet calculation - it was one fifth the diameter of the Sun, or around 280,000km, which would make it 22 times the size of the earth.

I see what you’re getting at Stu - I didn’t see as much detail in the arch as you did - that second fork was quite faint in my scope. I should have tried single stack for that.

I reckon you are probably about right there, quite amazing!

There is a video of what SpaceWeather described as an eruption.

justerupted.gif

https://spaceweathergallery.com/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=167055

• Like 3

I’m trying to get my head around the dynamics of the prom/eruption as the plasma was clearly falling back down to the surface, so I can’t work out whether it erupted from the same place or not.

This was visible on Wednesday (29 July) or if not something in the same place.  Likewise on Thursday.  Today it was noticably longer (about 1/10th Solar diam at 8am, but maybe bigger as the reticle I was using is a bit cruddy).  By 10.10 am the top end seemed to have detached from the base.

Looking at the NISP views, it seems to have vanished  (22.50 UT+1).

Great while it lasted.