SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

C/2020 F3 and its ion tail

Here is a new edit using the comet stacking mode and the DSS stacking settings for the lights on average to get the most startrails in the final. By looking at the startrails it seems there was some vibration in certain shots.

I tried to do the same post processing on this image as the original one, it's close but not a perfect match.

I like both images but personally prefer the one with the starfield. 

Ken

387774733_neowisecometstartrails.thumb.jpg.872040815d5e820f39ca3e9e25f9199b.jpg

Edited by Ken Mitchell
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Ken Mitchell said:

Here is a new edit using the comet stacking mode and the DSS stacking settings for the lights on average to get the most startrails in the final. By looking at the startrails it seems there was some vibration in certain shots.

I tried to do the same post processing on this image as the original one, it's close but not a perfect match.

I like both images but personally prefer the one with the starfield. 

Ken

387774733_neowisecometstartrails.thumb.jpg.872040815d5e820f39ca3e9e25f9199b.jpg

Love this one Ken. It really gives the impression of the comet zipping through space. 

May I ask, were you just hedging your bets by doing various exposures from 5s to 30s? Did they actually prove useful in the final image, or would the 30s subs have just done on their own? 

Just thinking, did you use the shorter ones for the comet's core?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xiga said:

Love this one Ken. It really gives the impression of the comet zipping through space. 

May I ask, were you just hedging your bets by doing various exposures from 5s to 30s? Did they actually prove useful in the final image, or would the 30s subs have just done on their own? 

Just thinking, did you use the shorter ones for the comet's core?

Ciarán,

The different exposures were planned for 2 reasons. 

First, as you mentioned, I wanted to make sure having enough short exposures/data to get as much detail in the core and surroundings.

Second, this was taken in the morning so as the minutes passed the sky becomes brighter and the comet will get lost in the background. So shorter exposure will compensate for the background brightness and at the same time get the detail for the core.

I started with a 30 second frame session and reduced the exposure with 5 seconds every 20 frames or so.

Hope that makes sense.

Ken

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ken Mitchell said:

Ciarán,

The different exposures were planned for 2 reasons. 

First, as you mentioned, I wanted to make sure having enough short exposures/data to get as much detail in the core and surroundings.

Second, this was taken in the morning so as the minutes passed the sky becomes brighter and the comet will get lost in the background. So shorter exposure will compensate for the background brightness and at the same time get the detail for the core.

I started with a 30 second frame session and reduced the exposure with 5 seconds every 20 frames or so.

Hope that makes sense.

Ken

Thanks Ken, much appreciated. 

• Like 1