SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

C/2020 F3 and its ion tail

30 minutes ago, Ken Mitchell said:

First attempt and first clear morning after 2 weeks of bad astrophotography weather.

Taken about 2 hrs before sunrise on 07/13/2020

The image still has some startrails from the comet stacking mode in DSS. I've used the comet stacking mode and normal stacking mode and blended both together in Photoshop to get the comet with its starfield rather than startrails. 

Difficult process to do this manually. 

If someone knows a method/software that does comet stacking with its starfield, please let me know. DSS failed me on several occasions  using comet+star stacking method.

Ken

Equipment and image detail: 

Nikon d610
TS72 APO + TS72flat 
settings: 432mm, f6, iso400, 40min. Different exposures ranging from 30 sec to 5 sec.

Tracking: Skywatcher Star Adventurer
software: 
Stacking: Deepskystacker 4.2.2
Processing: Adobe Photoshop

1609454396_neowisecomet.thumb.jpg.f80ba7291ed5596f35b637474ea73c9f.jpg

Very very nice!  How much was cropped off this at 432mm

• Like 1

Beautiful image! I believe you can remove more of the stars in the comet stack by increasing the iterations and decreasing the Kappa in the stacking settings for light frames. Decreasing the Kappa does however introduce a little more noise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

Beautiful image! I believe you can remove more of the stars in the comet stack by increasing the iterations and decreasing the Kappa in the stacking settings for light frames. Decreasing the Kappa does however introduce a little more noise.

Thanks, I've thought about experimenting with these settings. I'll give it a go 👍

I just want to show you the results of the mixed stacking by DSS. No color and full of banding, no idea why it turned up like this. I believe the blending algorithm in DSS is just bad.

No idea if different stacking settings would give better results.

Ken

436837529_cometneomixed.jpg.66a31205247a26187870dbbd181dc3ff.jpg

22 hours ago, Ken Mitchell said:

First attempt and first clear morning after 2 weeks of bad astrophotography weather.

Taken about 2 hrs before sunrise on 07/13/2020

The image still has some startrails from the comet stacking mode in DSS. I've used the comet stacking mode and normal stacking mode and blended both together in Photoshop to get the comet with its starfield rather than startrails. 

Difficult process to do this manually. 

If someone knows a method/software that does comet stacking with its starfield, please let me know. DSS failed me on several occasions  using comet+star stacking method.

Ken

Equipment and image detail: 

Nikon d610
TS72 APO + TS72flat 
settings: 432mm, f6, iso400, 40min. Different exposures ranging from 30 sec to 5 sec.

Tracking: Skywatcher Star Adventurer
software: 
Stacking: Deepskystacker 4.2.2
Processing: Adobe Photoshop

1609454396_neowisecomet.thumb.jpg.f80ba7291ed5596f35b637474ea73c9f.jpg

Fantastic image. congratulations. thanks for sharing.

• Like 1