NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

To flex or not, that is the question.

Hi Folks, 

I appreciate that this has probably been asked time and again, sorry! 

So, I am in the valley of indecision here. I have a 130pds for AP and love it. I also enjoy visual and am after a 10" dob. I've narrowed it down to the Skywatcher 250px rigid tube and the Skywatcher 250 flextube. I have read just about every review on both scopes but just can't make up my mind. 

I believe that the rigid scope will fit in my car across the back seat and that the flexi will take up less room height wise for storage. But does one have an advantage optically over the other? 

Will the flexi version require collimation more frequently?? 

Can someone put me out of my dilemma 🤔

Ideally someone who has used both! 

Stay safe guys

I'm sure someone who has used both will come along soon with specific answers. I've only owned the solid tube version.

Optically, they are the same, I know that much. The Flextube version weighs slightly more.

Not sure re: collimation frequency although it's something that should be checked and tweaked as needed each time a dob is used anyway. Like tuning a guitar before playing.

Flextube is not a great name for a dob is it ?. I guess they were referring to the ability to reduce the tube length for storage / transport but still ..... :rolleyes2:

Good point on t

1 minute ago, John said:

I'm sure someone who has used both will come along soon with specific answers. I've only owned the solid tube version.

Optically, they are the same, I know that much. The Flextube version weighs slightly more.

Not sure re: collimation frequency although it's something that should be checked and tweaked as needed each time a dob is used anyway. Like tuning a guitar before playing.

Flextube is not a great name for a dob is it ?. I guess they were referring to the ability to reduce the tube length for storage / transport but still ..... :rolleyes2:

Good point on the name 😂

One other option is the Orion. I believe that these are produced by the same manufacturer as Skywatcher but retail at a slightly higher price here in the UK. 

What we're your impressions of the solid tube, would you buy one again? 

Cheers 

I don't think there is an Orion branded version of the Flextube in the 10 inch aperture. There is a solid tube version though, which is the same as the Skywatcher in terms of optics.

Yes, I would buy one again and either the Flex or solid tube versions. I would want a light shroud for the Flextube version though. I would also consider the Bresser 10 inch dobsonian as well which is solid tube but has some nice features. More £'s though.

32 minutes ago, JamesF said:

The 10" flextube is probably a fair bit more storage-friendly if that's an issue.  A 10" solid tube is not an easy thing to disguise in the living room.

James

That’s what big lamp shades are for. 😁😁😁

Edited by johninderby
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, John said:

Care to expand on that for the OP's sake John ? :smiley:

Storage was no problem so no advantage for me although that could be an issue for some.

The things I didn’t like.

• Flex tube is about 1kg heavier than a solid tube. 
  • Needs a light shroud
  • Solid tube is quicker to set up as you don’t have to extend the tube and fit the light shroud.
  • Solid tube held collimation better.

For an 8” or 10” dob just prefer the solid tube and will stiill fit across most car back seats. BTW fit a carry handle to the tube.

12” is where having a flextube does have real advantages in storing and transportation.

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

I have a 10" flextube and whilst I've never owned the solid tube version I'm inclined to agree with John.  If the solid tube had come up first I'd probably have had the solid tube because storage isn't really a problem for me either and with the 10" I think that's really the only advantage of the flextube.

(In fact mine is a bit of a Frankenscope as I bought the bits over time in several lots and then made a base myself.)

James

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John said:

Indeed not a great name.........reminds me that several decades ago early folding bicycles were called........

COLLAPSING bicycles..........always sounded rather dangerous to me 😳 so I didn’t buy one !

Ed

• Haha 3

And beware when talking Orion.

Orion are a US brand which are similar to Skywatcher.

Orion Optics Uk are a UK based manufacturer making scopes here in the UK, up in Cheshire.

As to flextubes, sorry, never had one, could not see the point until getting big, then I would have gone truss tube.

and having just noted the OP, hello Simon.

Edited by Alan White

30 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Orion Optics Uk are a UK based manufacturer making scopes here in the UK, up in Cheshire.

As to flextubes, sorry, never had one, could not see the point until getting big, then I would have gone truss tube.

Hi Alan, Thanks for the reply. Just need to sell my kit and then I'll see... All pie in the sky right now 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

Hi Folks, 

I appreciate that this has probably been asked time and again, sorry! 

So, I am in the valley of indecision here. I have a 130pds for AP and love it. I also enjoy visual and am after a 10" dob. I've narrowed it down to the Skywatcher 250px rigid tube and the Skywatcher 250 flextube. I have read just about every review on both scopes but just can't make up my mind. 

I believe that the rigid scope will fit in my car across the back seat and that the flexi will take up less room height wise for storage. But does one have an advantage optically over the other? 

Will the flexi version require collimation more frequently?? 

Can someone put me out of my dilemma 🤔

Ideally someone who has used both! 

Stay safe guys

I had a Meade Lightbridge 12" for about 18 months, some while back and whilst it was a very nice instrument to use, I had only to look at it with usage in my mind, for it to need collimating again. I used it from home mostly because I have Bortle 4 skies, so once I had assembled it, and tightened everything, it stayed that way for months. Lifting it from the Conservatory to the garden required re collimation, as did moving it around the garden, not by much it is true, but it still needed doing. The Skywatcher 12" Dob that I used prior to the Lightbridge was a solid tube, and rarely needed collimating.

I now have owned a OOVX12 Dob for a couple of years or so, solid tube aluminium, light to carry about, but which holds its collimation really very well, and certainly no matter how many times I move it around the garden in a nights observing, it is sound.

So my experience is FWIW, a solid tube dob is better.  It may not be true with the much more expensive Flex Dobs, in fact for what they cost I would expect them to hold collimation.

I hope that helps.

The  Orion 12" Dob  OOVX12 is a very good scope in my opinion  and is likely to stay with me for a long time.......:smiley:

Edited by Saganite

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

I usually put "Orion (USA)" in my posts to differentiate them from Orion Optics but I omitted that on this occasion. Sorry for any confusion caused.

Orion Optics are great scopes at long as you buy them pre-owned :smiley:

• Like 1

I've got an 8" Skywatcher flex-tube.  I've been very pleased with it and given the chance to buy again would not buy the solid tube.  I love the way it collapses - this makes storage easier - my 8" folds to about the size of a dining chair to store on its base (though your contemplated model would obviously have a wider base).  Other things I like are the folded size when it comes to moving it.  I store it inside the porch and my goto base weighs a bit and I find it easier to move the OTA and the base separately (it is a work of moments to separate the two) .  The advantage of moving the OTA comes when it collapsed - it is an easy reach to pop my fingers around the open end and under the ridge at the closed end and lift it safely within an arms width which makes it easy to move through household sized doors.  I don't know what the collapsed size of the one you are looking at is, but I imagine there would be a similar advantage - my arms are not that long and if you are a taller person than me you might still find the collapsed tube of a larger model is still an easier lift to shift through small spaces than the longer length of a tube that won't fold.  FWIW I have not found any issues with a possible loss of collimation and the tubes of the Skywatcher provide an entirely convincing rigid immovable structure when locked into place.  I'd buy again.

FWIW here is a picture of my 8" you can imagine the difference in size when folded.  The two pieces entirely butt up against each other and the whole length of the extension rods is lost.

skywatcher sm.jpg

Edited by JOC
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, JOC said:

I've got an 8" Skywatcher flex-tube.  I've been very pleased with it and given the chance to buy again would not buy the solid tube.  I love the way it collapses - this makes storage easier - my 8" folds to about the size of a dining chair to store on its base (though your contemplated model would obviously have a wider base).  Other things I like are the folded size when it comes to moving it.  I store it inside the porch and my goto base weighs a bit and I find it easier to move the OTA and the base separately (it is a work of moments to separate the two) .  The advantage of moving the OTA comes when it collapsed - it is an easy reach to pop my fingers around the open end and under the ridge at the closed end and lift it safely within an arms width which makes it easy to move through household sized doors.  I don't know what the collapsed size of the one you are looking at is, but I imagine there would be a similar advantage - my arms are not that long and if you are a taller person than me you might still find the collapsed tube of a larger model is still an easier lift to shift through small spaces than the longer length of a tube that won't fold.  FWIW I have not found any issues with a possible loss of collimation and the tubes of the Skywatcher provide an entirely convincing rigid immovable structure when locked into place.  I'd buy again.

FWIW here is a picture of my 8" you can imagine the difference in size when folded.  The two pieces entirely butt up against each other and the whole length of the extension rods is lost.

skywatcher sm.jpg

Hi Joc, 

Thanks for your message. 

I think that you have hit the nail on the head. The solid tube makes sense on every level, price, collimation and weight, but I keep coming back to the size and portability of the OTA. 

Although I would be keeping it in the garage (my wife has some oversion to peering around a telescope to see the TV, where as I'm happy just to look at the scope😀) I wouldn't need to worry about doorways but getting it out to the car and onto the back seat is a concern. Light pollution is not so much of a problem but rather restricted views, consequently I will have to transport it to a better location. 

Plenty of food for thought from you all. Sadly no further forward in making a decision though. 

On another side note, is this the shroud essential? 

Thanks again 

Fitting a carry handle to the tube makes it easy to carry the tube single handed and load into the back seat and remember the solid tube OTA is a kg lighter than the flextube.

Yes you do want a shroud with the flextube not just for stopping stray light but also the heat currents coming from your body passing through the open tube.

4A88B36F-729D-4265-81B4-543D62B74910.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

I own both  (300p) 12" Skywatchers: flextube and solid. There are pros and cons to both.

The flextube definitely requires more frequent collimation although once set up for an observing session, the truss design is stable. The benefits to this design is space saving, although you may get questions asked, such as, "what are you brewing in there?". In addition, you can use binoviewers with the flextube as there are two stop positions, fully extended for eyepiece use, partially extended for binoviewers. The flextube is also slightly heavier. The two stop positions don't exist with the 400p and I don't know about the 250p.

You will also need a reinforced shroud due to the three truss design letting in stray light (astrozap is the go-to brand for these)

I like both types of telescope...the solid tube can hold collimation for a few sessions although it is good to check every time.

Oddly enough, I prefer the flextube design...

• Like 1

I also keep my 8” Dob in the garage and made a platform trolley so I can be up and running in a minute. The reason I made a trolley rather than attach wheels to the base is that it allows you to easily add height if needed. Weight is not an issue and if you use at least 2 locking wheels the base is solid.

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Interesting reading the different viewpoints. Some love their flex-tubes and others think they are a waste of time. 🤔

Definitely a love it or hate it topic with nothing in between. Interesting but doesn't help when wandering around in a confused telescope review induced state. 

BTW, for a 10" dobsonian, will I need a step up to reach the EP? I'm just under 6'

9 minutes ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

BTW, for a 10" dobsonian, will I need a step up to reach the EP? I'm just under 6'

No you’ll need a chair to sit on to put the eyepiece at a comfortable height most of the time. Or raise the scope up on some sort of base.. 😁

275570EF-7548-4001-9B25-8B0BCE4EA79F.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

The 8" is useable by standing, but 100% more comfortable sitting.  I got a couple of cheap, lightweight bar stools and have a high one and a low one.   It has to be said that I don't use my scope very often, but IMO the collimation holds quite well between uses.  You def. don't need a light shroud, I think it depends on location and what you are expecting to see.  If you are somewhere pitch dark, then there won't be any stay light to enter the system.  I've got a light shroud (a home-made one), but given the relatively low ability of my 8" to capture light from DSO's anyway I don't find much difference at night with and without it - I actually think the entire system performs better at night without it. for various reasons.  You would 100% need one during day time use if used a solar filter to look at the sun - that is always when I do use the light shroud.  However, you are looking at a 250P which I think is the 10" isn't it?  Since you might therefore be more interested in DSO's that I was (I wanted a first general purpose see most things scope) then I guess you might find a light shroud might give you an edge on seeing those feint grey fuzzies particularly if you are in a light sensitive area.  

As to fitting a handle on a larger scope - in my case, I wouldn't have wanted the hassle or the fear of drilling into my brand new OTA to fit one.  Also if you look at where the handles are often positioned right in the middle of the scopes I am still not sure they look the easiest things to get on the back seat of a car.

Now talking of cars, and I've had mine in the car on several occasions what you do have to watch is not as much can you fit the OTA on the back seat? but the question that isn't so obvious is, can you also fit the Dobsonian cradle mount in the boot/on the spare passenger seat?  I have a fairly massive Estate Octavia and the Mount def. requires careful positioning - then obviously you want to add in a folding chair, EP box possibly some warm clothes and the space rapidly diminishes - I would def. say to be as aware of the size of the mount if you want to transport it as much as the size of the OTA.  Even the mount for my 8" is a respectable size and I have to lie it down in the boot - it is another awkward thing to load in the car.

Edited by JOC
  • Like 1