Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Three Abell Galaxy Clusters

kirkster501

All with TEC140 refractor, Atik 460 and Astrodon LRGB filters.  I hope you like them :) 

Abell 426 - The Perseus Cluster, between 230-280 million light years away

LRGB_Perseus_A.thumb.jpg.8ee5521fab6497aea06f81b59567f6cf.jpg

Abell 2151 - The Hercules Cluster, about 500 million light years away.

1989520805_Abell2151_Complete.thumb.jpg.6c157d6ec814977b2868832b4298b385.jpg

Abell 1656 - The Coma Cluster, about 340 million light years away.  Some bright foreground stars make this extremely difficult and it is a bit beyond my processing abilities currently.

1921374858_Abell1656Complete.thumb.jpg.fe9b3b1e4d1590d2ee40ccf8fb5d262b.jpg

• Like 20

25 minutes ago, cfpendock said:

Very nice.  I like these kind of images.  What are the spikes on the two bright stars in the last image caused by?

Chris

StarSpikes Pro mate (a photoshop plugin).  The only way I could "disguise" the bloated stars in that image.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

There are details on my website (skastro.net) about the images including annotations.  There are PGC catalog galaxies billions of light years away in these fields. 

I am expanding much of the wording on the website as well.  After my security breach in March I just wanted to get material uploaded to the new site at stage 1.  My next step is editing the posts with the addition of more details and adding new posts of images that I have in development.  My processing skills have expanded too so I may be editing many of the images as well.

Three glorious galaxy clusters there, images like this are right up my street the Hercules cluster looks interesting as it’s dominated by spiral galaxies rather than the usual ellipticals that we normally see, I’m putting this cluster on my top of my list of clusters to have a go at 

The TEC 140 is indeed a fabulous scope.  It is great for imaging and for AP. 

I feel it can be a bit "bloaty" on bright, blue stars even with the additional field flattener I have installed.  If the incredible FSQ85 is anything to go by then I think I'd prefer a FSQ 150 but those are insane money.