Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baby steps... baby steps...

I'm totally new to astronomy and somehow am amazingly interested in it. I never learned constellations as a kid, and since i'm about to buy my first telescope (SW Hermitage 130/650) in a month or so I figured I should learn the skies with my own eyes first. I was so enormously surpised that I could actually see a constellation with just my eyes and i'm mad no one told me ever šŸ˜› (With 10x50 binoculars was way too zoomed-in)

A totally new world opened up for me. IĀ tried navigating and finding more using some cool apps that really helped me a lot!

Here's a picture of Ursa Minor (Galaxy S10), my first one ever. I'm so hyped to get my scope.

Also thanks to everyone for helping me this week in finding out which telescope to get and explaining some terms. I couldn't be any more happy :)

Screenshot_20200523-232834_Gallery.jpg

• Like 7

Nice picture, although it isĀ Ursa Major not Minor. Absolutely, your eyes are the best thing to use to learn the constellations, even binoculars are to much power for that. TheĀ Milky Way too is best see with the naked eye from a dark site. SimpleĀ pleasures but amazing all the same.

GladĀ you are enjoying the hobby and getting sorted with a scope.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nice picture, although it isĀ Ursa Major not Minor. Absolutely, your eyes are the best thing to use to learn the constellations, even binoculars are to much power for that. TheĀ Milky Way too is best see with the naked eye from a dark site. SimpleĀ pleasures but amazing all the same.

GladĀ you are enjoying the hobby and getting sorted with a scope.

AhhhhĀ a minute after I posted I saw there also existed Ursa Major and was so confused which one I photographed. Thanks for bringing clarity :D

• Like 1

Welcome to the Universe!

I started many years ago, just me and my eyes! I loved discovering new constellations and in the days before gross light pollution and with young eyes, I didn't need a telescope to be blown away...literally!

There is something for everyone up there. No competition!Ā 

Baby steps are best, you don't want to miss the best bits in the rush for technology and gadgets. It's taken me 45 years to dip a toe into imaging but the other night while my camera was clicking away, I spent a lot of time just looking up. No telescope to distract me. I rediscovered a couple of constellations I'd lost track of!

Ā 

• Like 1

Thing is with Astronomy itā€™s such a vast hobby to learn and once Neil Armstrong said? One small step and so on itā€™s the small steps we take which leads to the bigger picture and the small steps we take first leads to a bigger gain

• Like 1

There are very few moments that will stick with you like the moment you look up and say to yourself, "wow, I see it now!"

Here in Florida, Orion is amazing and easy to see during the right time of the year.

He's gone for a while because another easy one has chased him across the sky. That's Scorpios.Ā 

One word of warning, if the constellations make you smile, you better have a chair nearby when you turn your telescope to Saturn.

• Like 2

The trouble many have is that imaging shows up so many more stars that it makes picking out the constellations or specific stars difficult unless you really know what to look for.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

The trouble many have is that imaging shows up so many more stars that it makes picking out the constellations or specific stars difficult unless you really know what to look for.

Yes! This! I shouldnt have brightened up this image so much šŸ¤£

• Haha 1