NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Camera that can connect to an iPad

Knighter

6 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Something like this.

Hi yes I have seen this one, but has mixed reviews I was wondering if there were better quality cameras that I could hard wire connect to an iPad that would give better quality images. 

2 minutes ago, Knighter said:

Hi yes I have seen this one, but has mixed reviews I was wondering if there were better quality cameras that I could hard wire connect to an iPad that would give better quality images. 

Depending on what you want to image you could look at other cameras that have a wifi link.

Some dslr's or Sony mirrorless perhaps. My A6000 connects to my android pad & windows 10 desktop via Imaging Edge remote  (over wifi with some playing around and some catchya's).

I don't know anything about ipads, it may be worth a look.

Edited by Mick J

Does the iPad not have a usb , I know that a kindle you can use a micro usb to standard size usb ,so you may be able to get this lead to work you iPad then down load nightcam on Apple store this works with most cameras then you may be able to use ASL camera from FLO

You can take photos off using the sd card connector into the lightning port (there's probably a new connector now and sd card reader) and you can also connect camera direct into it using the usb bit but only to take photos off and I've not looked into it Apple have kept this going the sd card thing. DSLR controller for Android is brilliant at controlling a lot of canon cameras, I'm not personally an apple user to know if there is an equivalent.

no idea re apple but most handheld devices don't operate as host controller for USB and would need a OTG type adaptor in order for an external USB device to work (such as a USB memory stick). Could be that their USB-micro adaptor serves that purpose but driver support in the device could well be limited to storage and audio. Do you have a regular USB webcam you could try before spending on something that may well not function?

10 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

no idea re apple but most handheld devices don't operate as host controller for USB and would need a OTG type adaptor in order for an external USB device to work (such as a USB memory stick). Could be that their USB-micro adaptor serves that purpose but driver support in the device could well be limited to storage and audio. Do you have a regular USB webcam you could try before spending on something that may well not function?

Hi unfortunately I don’t. I would just be nice to connect a camera to my iPad Pro, through the usb-c connector rather than having to splash out on a laptop which I don’t currently have. 

1 hour ago, Neil H said:

Does the iPad not have a usb , I know that a kindle you can use a micro usb to standard size usb ,so you may be able to get this lead to work you iPad then down load nightcam on Apple store this works with most cameras then you may be able to use ASL camera from FLO

Hi Neil my iPad Pro has a usb-c connector. I know Apple sell a usb to usb-c connector but just don’t know if for example a ZWO ASI 224MC Color Astronomy Camera would work through this so I can use an app to take video or phots 

15 minutes ago, Bobby1970 said:

You can get USB C OTG cables. Also if using ZWO Camera download AsiCap. 

As long as there's an iOS version. 

Hi Bob that’s great thanks for the advice will take a look 

Matt 

A cheap playaround may be a webcam, you may find info on modifying webcams to fit in the eyepiece on the scope, (remove case, break lens off, mokeup new case, use instead of eyepiece) connect to your ipad with some sort of usb cable - works on a windows tablet.

You may be able to take snaps of the planets/sun with filter/moon.  Most pictures seen on SGL of these subjects are the result of  video frames stacked to enhance detail,  is this sort of software available for the ipad, I wouldn't be surprised.  A webcam will of course produce video and can be good quality.

A lot of us started with a dslr (canon) taking long exposure pictures of stars/deep space, these are again stacked to produce better detail, different software is used on windows, ipad ? 

I hope this is helpful, @JamesF may have some ideas, and you may glean something from the StarGaZine with Steve Richards tonight or repeat.

Edited by Mick J

There are quite a few Canon cameras that can be fully controlled including use of live view by the "canon camera connect" app which works on Apple and Android, the app list the cameras that are compatible.

Alan

• 7 months later...
On 23/05/2020 at 17:04, Knighter said:

Hi unfortunately I don’t. I would just be nice to connect a camera to my iPad Pro, through the usb-c connector rather than having to splash out on a laptop which I don’t currently have. 

Did anyone here try the ASIair already with an iPad Pro?  AFAIK, you would still need the ASIAIR PRO "minicomputer" from ZWO to make the fully mobile connection:

iOS App:  ASIair App on iOS AppStore

ASIAIR Pro hardware:  ASIAIR Pro "minicomputer" (Raspberry Pi?)

Edited by obs30
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...