Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Value for money

richard ashbee

I did have a Lunt 50 h-alpha scope for a while a year or so back but for me, my interest in observing the Sun did not really take off (probably the quiet Sun didn't help either) so I decided that I had too much tied up in that piece of equipment and sold it.

I now have a much less expensive Lunt Herschel Wedge which gives me nice white light views when I want them using the scopes that I use for nighttime use.

I guess if you get the h-alpha bug then the money will seem like a good investment as the solar activity gradually increases.

I'm feeling quite positive about my LS60DS ownership at the moment.

The LS60 has seen use virtually every day for the last 3 weeks thanks to the combination of lockdown and fine weather.

There is always something to see in H-alpha, even in the depths of solar minimum.

• Like 1

Mine also get more use than night time scopes and capturing and processing solar images is generally a whole lot quicker than night time ones.

Way up there you'll have Sun 24 hours a day so definitely worth it 😂

Dave

• Like 2

On 17/04/2020 at 15:34, Davey-T said:

Mine also get more use than night time scopes and capturing and processing solar images is generally a whole lot quicker than night time ones.

Way up there you'll have Sun 24 hours a day so definitely worth it 😂

Dave

Wish that was the case, lots of cloud more like. Although last two days wall to wall sun - but yet to receive my scope so all will change when it arrives. One plus is that I have virtually a clear view east to west for most of the day, lots of wide open spaces in Shetland, unlike when we lived in Sheffield, surrounded by buildings or trees

• Like 1