The deed is done....

... I've collimated my scope! I really don't know what all the fuss is about... :) Its a peice of cake, so I'm here to disperse any of those fears newbies might have, I mean if a woman can do it... :p

Collimation of 8" Skywatcher Reflector

Ok first things first, I had to be able to visually see the 3 mirror clips which hold the main mirror in place through the focuser. I could only see the one, so to bring all 3 into view I had to adjust the 3 screws on the secondary mirror, using a allen key loosening each screw alternatively, until each of the 3 clips revealed themselves. I have to say I found this part quite frustrating, and stopped breathing a few times with concentration... :shock: It took a few attempts. Once all 3 were in place, I had to tighten the screws back up, easy I thought, what a pain in the Bottom, tighten them too soon too much and the little critters move, nightmare! At one point I was getting really cheesed off and started to doubt my ability.... :? I sat at the pute and logged on here, and decided to type my post of dispair, but I said to myself 'No!... I can do this, why give a bunch of guys the satisfaction?... I persisted, and it paid off, I tightend the screws, and the clips remained in view. Success!!!! I felt quite good, but I knew the task wasn't over.... :)

Now for the main mirror, I felt quite daunted by this part, but it turned out to be easy. Looked back through the collimating eyepiece and the alignment of the 2 mirrors it was definitely out, but not as much as some people speculated... :) I removed the protective plate at the bottom of the scope, which revealed the 3 main mirror adjustment screws. I worked out which way the mirror had to be moved and turned only 2 screws accordingly, until the 2 mirrors were perectly aligned, replaced the plate, sat down and was overwhelmed by my sense of achievment. All I need to do now is tweek it by aiming it at Polaris (north star), when it finally makes an appearance... :p

Can I just say a huge thanks to James for donating the collimation eyepiece.... :lol:

Got nothing to throw at me now guys... :)

Ps...if anyone tells me I've missed something out, I don't care, it looks alright to me... :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A big well Done to you Caz iam very proud of you and your most welcome to the Eyepiece iam really happy it helped you out...

:hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :occasion1: :notworthy: :occasion6: :occasion9: :occasion8: :occasion7: :occasion6: :occasion7: :wave: :lol:

James :sunny:

Congratulations, was it because you needed to do it or all the nagging? :)

It wasn't rocket science after all Caz, easy when you know how, I bet you see an improvement in your observing, with nice clean round stars.

Well done, good report.

naz :lol:

... I've collimated my scope! I really don't know what all the fuss is about... :lol: Its a peice of cake, so I'm here to disperse any of those fears newbies might have, I mean if a woman can do it... :)

Excuse me Caz but we will have less of those sexist comments please.

Thats our job :)

Well done Caz :) :)

Just out of interest Caz - how far out was it, ie. did you have to twiddle it lots??

The reason I ask is, everytime I take mine out I check it first and I always have to adjust it! :? :?

I just wonder sometimes if i've got a duffer or something!! :lol:

Greg

Hey hey! Nice one Caz, got that monkey off your back :lol::)

The really exciting thing is that it sounds like it needed doing. I've found that with my SCT very small adjustments make a massive difference esp on high power. Next time out poke it at Saturn.

I've got Beethoven's ninth going through my head :)

I read the last bit, the tweak bit, and the cogs must have started whirring. What's that bit then? do you have to do some of it in the dark

Capt..

To check and fine tune the collimation you can do what's called a star test..

Focus on a bright star and gently turn the focuser till it's just out - if you see a series of circular concentric rings your collimation is bang on..

If the circles are slightly off center, then you just tweak a bit...Just make sure the scope is up to temperature bfore you start to collimate or do a star test.

To be honest I use the star test to see if my scope is out.

Greg

Trying to work out why Beethovens Ninth... :scratch:

Rog...hehehehe you just don't give up do you, I've borrowed a Nikon coolpix, so there might be a few afocal shots from me in the future.... :)

It's the classic celebratory music. Choral symphony - la la la la la la la la la la la la laaaa la la (can't type in tune) :lol:

I've just invested in some new lengths of M5 stud and some heads to make this task easier. I'll chuck up some piccies when I've done it.

Well done Caz - not so scary really, was it???

Congratulations, twink! It is easier than it looks, the second time I tried I made a real [removed word]-up out of it, but it's gotten easy since then. And I was thinking Beethoven's fifth, ta ta ta TAAAAA! ta ta ta TAAAAA! Or the 'Rocky' theme.

• 2 weeks later...

i must admit i find collimation a royal pain in my telescope.

see the thing has a corrector lense at the end of the draw tube. This i remove to collimate with a laser collimator.

I also have the collimation eyepiece.

I have had good views out of it, but i have been thinking of getting rid in favour of another instrument.

Al

Archived