NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

whats wrong

2 hours ago, Frank the Troll said:

APT dosent work with your nikon

Hi. No. I don't think the d3500 will work with windows based astro software; nikon only supply connection details for higher end models.

It does however work fine on Linux. Do you have to use Windows?

HTH

Edited by alacant

11 hours ago, Anthony1979 said:

So its not my equipment then... Its my processing still are bad

3 hours ago, Anthony1979 said:

I nearly packed it all in yesterday and was going to sell up... But im not going to let it beat me... I will try to processing it again later

Not at all and try not to get disheartened.  As mentioned by @alacant and @vlaiv include a pre-processing element with a suitable calibration routine - specifically flats to help with the aforementioned vignetting.

It's unfortunate that by default, the Nikon D3xxx series does not easily support software control (it's one of the reasons I stopped using my D3100) due to lack SDK support.  As already mentioned, the Nikon should have "Bulb" mode where a timed exposure beyond 30s can be done - I have previously used an intervalometer for this.  You can set a shooting plan on these then press start and walk away - it'll take X number exposures of Y duration with Z interval between.

Edited by geeklee

2 hours ago, Anthony1979 said:

I only changed because there not much software for the nikon... The d3500 doesnt work with APT or any other software and was limited to 30 seconds... Thats why i bought the 450d because of use of software 

A lot of dslr cameras are 'limited' as you put it to 30 second exposures but if you look, there should be the word "bulb" next to the 30 second exposure setting (or somewhere else in the cameras settings. This bulb setting allows a longer expsure than 30 seconds. If the camera is not connected to a pc/laptop then the longer exposure can be controlled with a intervalometer. With this device you can set the exposure time, interval time between exposures, number of subs etc..

Edited by Chefgage

1 hour ago, Anthony1979 said:

I cant seem to find an intervolmeter for this camera 

According to the manual the nikon camera does have a bulb mode in manual. Does this not allow you to go above 30 seconds?

I can’t comment on your camera but what I will say is AP is by far the hardest, most frustrating hobby I’ve ever tried. 

I am now at the point I know how to get everything set up and get a good imaging sequence done etc but I still lose whole evenings just messing everything up. 

It just takes something small like forgetting to press go on guiding to ruin a whole precious cloudless night. But I won’t be beaten - I will get this hobby nailed down. 

The satisfaction when you get your first Nebula, first galaxy, first colour image, first really nice tightly focus image etc is just so satisfying it makes all the frustrating lost to equipment issues or just plain stupidity worth it. 

I mean think about what you’re actually doing, what you’re actually capturing. I can take photos of galaxies from my back garden and that’s cool :)  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

I can’t comment on your camera but what I will say is AP is by far the hardest, most frustrating hobby I’ve ever tried.

It's an absolutely crackers hobby. What with the cost and the weather and never ending issues with kit. Yet here we still are! I've been doing this for couple of years now and still have to deal with kit niggles. I've just learned to streamline the issues and problem solve quicker! Trust me, 90% of nights I'm out something goes wrong! Keep at it and gather as much data as you can on a target. You'll get there. M81 and M82 are starting to rise this time of year if you can see them, nice beginner targets as they are fairly bright. Theres nothing better for a beginner once you start to see a galaxy or nebula emerge out of the darkness of your stack. Keep your data and as you get better at processing you can always go back and reprocess stuff as you learn new techniques. 👍

• Like 3

1 minute ago, david_taurus83 said:

It's an absolutely crackers hobby. What with the cost and the weather and never ending issues with kit. Yet here we still are! I've been doing this for couple of years now and still have to deal with kit niggles. I've just learned to streamline the issues and problem solve quicker! Trust me, 90% of nights I'm out something goes wrong! Keep at it and gather as much data as you can on a target. You'll get there. M81 and M82 are starting to rise this time of year if you can see them, nice beginner targets as they are fairly bright. Theres nothing better for a beginner once you start to see a galaxy or nebula emerge out of the darkness of your stack. Keep your data and as you get better at processing you can always go back and reprocess stuff as you learn new techniques. 👍

I’ve had a couple of stabs at M81 already but now it’s a bit higher I’ll have another crack at it. Trying to get a few hours in M51 at the moment because it’s just such a cool target. 

And yes, it’s madness to do what we do :D 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Anthony1979 said:

Went out again last night and thought i would try and get an image of the whirlpool but couldnt find it so tried for bodes and couldnt find that either... Spent all night look but nothing.. 

I have no chance of finding targets manually - too much light pollution. Do you have a goto mount. If so which one? An EQDir cable, APT and plate solving is the answer. 

Its really quite easy to use as well - takes literally a couple of minutes to get any target bang centre. And it’s pretty much automated so you don’t have to even try and find the target first. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anthony1979 said:

I use a eq5 with Enhanced duel axis motors... But went through my random images of last night and found an image with the whirlpool right on the edge of the image

All you need then is an EQDir cable (get a good one from somewhere like FLO - cheap ones cause more hassle than the initial saving is worth) and you can use the Goto++ feature of APT. 

This will gives you perfectly centred targets every time. The whole routine only takes a couple of minutes.

9 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi. No. I'm afraid not. You'd need this modification to be able to goto and plate solve.

@alacantThe Onstep goto controller you link needs the stepper motor kit as well - the skywatcher dual axis motors aren't suitable. The mod OnStep controller recommended is listed at 330 Euros (with stepper motor kit). Remember also that it looks like the OP's Nikon is also not compatible with APT, and so even with the upgrade, computer-controller automatic plate-solving and goto++ won't be possible.

To be honest, @Anthony1979, the kit that you have is almost identical to my starting kit and I found it is only suitable for doing really basic AP; 

- Your camera doesn't appear on the APT compatibility matrix, so I think your only choice is to use an intervalometer (this on ebay for a D3300 which *should* work for a D3500, but check first)  to take multiple exposures. 

- Your mount and current motors will track objects once you've found them in the sky, but can't cheaply be upgraded to goto to let a computer do it for you. You will have to find your objects by using the finder scope and a star atlas or mobile app to 'star hop' and find your way around the sky (a useful skill once learned, but needs time and dedication).  Once found, your mount will hold the object in your field of view for a reasonably length of time but it will drift. You may be lucky and get decent 60-second exposures with this mount, depending on your OTA.

I started with a Nikon D3200 and a motorised (but not goto) EQ5. At one stage I was copying files from the camera to a laptop so I could do a platesolve on the Astrometry web-site, then try to adjust my view manually based on the results!!! Painstaking and slow, but you've got to use what you've got if you don't have the budget to upgrade. As a novice I truly marvelled at some of the photos I achieved - they were at the bottom end of the AP scale, but they were *on* the AP scale 🙂

I did eventually upgrade to stepper motors and added AstroEQ, (a DIY equivalent of the Onstep).  The DIY aspect of doing this was fun, but to be honest I would recommend changing the mount for a second-hand goto mount as a better choice unless you relish the challenge. I also replaced the Nikon camera with a modified Canon 1000D bought from the forums to get the computer control and automatic platesolving, which was as @alacantsays, a game-changer.

You are doing well in persevering. If you can afford it, money will improve your set up. If you can't afford it, don't give up and see what you can achieve with what you've got.

Good luck!

Ady

* Disclaimer: there's a vast amount I don't know about AP, but budget AP is where I live 😉 

Edited by adyj1
Typos

16 minutes ago, alacant said:

The OP has canon.

Cheers

D'oh! Apologies... I misread the thread (late night, page two, on a mobile screen...)

Hopefully my advice on the mount stands up to scrutiny... 😁 

Hi Anthony. Have you got your 450D to work with APT now?

Before you spend more money on either a goto kit for your EQ5 (£300) or a new mount altogether, you could do "manual" platesolving and goto in APT.

Point your scope where you think your target is, take an image, platesolve in APT, send the result to Stellarium and it will show you where exactly you are pointing including the orientation and field of view. You can then move the scope with the hand controller and repeat the steps. It's still a bit trial and error but a hell of a lot better than blind guessing.

You can follow my tutorial on setting up platesolving here:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/334568-setting-up-platesolving-in-astrophotography-tool-apt/

• Thanks 1

Hi Anthony 

you have come to the right place for help and advice, I have been practicing this hobby for 10 or so years, I had the wrong kit for AP originally and spent nights frustratingly struggling to achieve any decent images.

I often popped up on this forum for advice, (still do) and always got it! 

It can be disheartening to see all the fantastic images people can achieve on this and other forums then compare your efforts but we all have to start somewhere. 
I vowed to squeeze every last bit out of the kit I owned before spending money on a complete new rig based on what I had learned, but in those early days I was hooked by the pure delight and satisfaction gained from finally seeing a nebula or galaxy or star cluster on my screen! Images that would never win any awards by any means but I did it! 

I also had a 450d, I loved it! I used it for about 6 years, and now I finally own a second hand cooled CCD I still miss the simplicity of that lovely little camera! 

Keep at it! 

Cheers 

Bryan 

Edited by assouptro
  • Thanks 1

This is my equipment......

Skywatcher explorer 150p and st102

Standard eq5 no goto just the skywatcher Enhanced dual axis motors 

Canon 450d and nikon d3500 unmodded

Im not really bothered about getting goto because i enjoy the challenge of looking manually pls budget is really low now