NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

whats wrong

can someone please tell me why my image is like this never had this on my nikon d3500

31 60sec lights

10 darks using sw explorer 150p and canon 450d

stacked in dss and quick process in gimp

beehive 450d.png

Edited by Anthony1979

What exactly do you find to be a problem with that image?

Artifact on the right is due to stacking - select "intersection" mode in DSS to remove it - or crop it out.

Black corners are consequence of vignetting - use flat frames to correct for that.

There is coma, but that is to be expected from newtonian scope without coma corrector.

I really don't see anything else that might be "wrong" with this image.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Anthony1979 said:

background black

Hi. Yes. No problem. You can have any background shade you like, but you may not want to go for black.

You can adjust the background easily in gimp using colours - levels.

But don't forget the flat frames or other method for treating the corners first. Unless you choose black of course.

HTH

26 minutes ago, Anthony1979 said:

I used level in gimp but this is what it came out like

How about this?

image.png.8c9900255768f52129c2072a0daa2416.png

That does not look bad, right?

That is same image from Canon 450d - and Gimp processing.

• Like 1

Or this - same image:

image.png.6e5d4e3c8b11bcd366ef50616e656c56.png

The question is of course, like alacant asked already - what do you want from your image?

There is a lot in your image if you know how to process it.

I'm going to show you, but in order to get good images containing that level of detail - you will need to change some of your workflow.

1) Flat calibration - that will be very important because you have gradient in your images that is really hard do remove. Flats will take care of that

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Anthony1979 said:

I used level in gimp but this is what it came out like

Definitely some good data in there.  As already mentioned the gradients are strong and hard to remove.  Here's a quick 5 mins in PI - purposely overdone to show the data there and some star colour too + rotated.

image.png.0701433fdd38d98ca2661c5d4ba2d21f.png

• Like 1

You can get a darker image by adjusting the BP (Black Point) in levels of any program . Just make sure you don’t darken so much that you clip the BP . Watch your Histogram and try keep all peaks close to center or mid center . Just remember not all dark skies are actually black . Some may look dull or flat black and still makes for a great image . Some areas of space have cloud dust and if you over darken or clip the BP it will cover the cloud dust . 

Hi

Maybe your expectations for the 450d are the same as for the nikon? The 450d has bigger pixels and you'll probably find it noisier, but more sensitive. That's certainly the case when comparing our 450d with our 700d. Anyway, I think you've done fine. Vignetting can be corrected in software but I'd still recommend using flat frames in case of sensor irregularities such as dust and scratches.

I'd recommend ISO400 for the 450d.

Anyway, here's a coloured and coma corrected version. Is that more what you had in mind?

Cheers and HTH.

beehive.jpg.d4824a104e3e48e41585c3f5d99ebd05.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi

Maybe your expectations for the 450d are the same as for the nikon? The 450d has bigger pixels and you'll probably find it noisier, but more sensitive. That's certainly the case when comparing our 450d with our 700d. Anyway, I think you've done fine. Vignetting can be corrected in software but I'd still recommend using flat frames in case of sensor irregularities such as dust and scratches.

I'd recommend ISO400 for the 450d.

Anyway, here's a coloured and coma corrected version. Is that more what you had in mind?

Cheers and HTH.

beehive.jpg.d4824a104e3e48e41585c3f5d99ebd05.jpg

Yes this is what im looking towards.... But i was told the 450d was a decent camera for imaging 

1 hour ago, Anthony1979 said:

was told the 450d was a decent camera

Hi

The 450d dates from 2008. A lot has happened to dslr innards since then. It is noisy and prone to horizontal banding. The newer 18 and 24Mp eos cameras are in a different league and make life a lot easier. That doesn't mean to say that you can't get good results from the 450. Just that you'll have to try that bit harder. 

1 hour ago, Anthony1979 said:

But im not going to let it beat me

That's the spirit.

Not sure why you switched cameras. If you're happy with the nikon, stick to that. It should be streets ahead of the 450 for astro stuff.

Cheers and HTH.

Edited by alacant

I only changed because there not much software for the nikon... The d3500 doesnt work with APT or any other software and was limited to 30 seconds... Thats why i bought the 450d because of use of software 

27 minutes ago, Anthony1979 said:

I only changed because there not much software for the nikon... The d3500 doesnt work with APT or any other software and was limited to 30 seconds... Thats why i bought the 450d because of use of software 

Are you sure APT dosent work with your nikon, try Bulb mode & manual, that will also work with NINA too

Edited by Frank the Troll