SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Orion optics help

34 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Do any of the tubes unscrew ? It could be that you don't need all of them to reach focus.

I thought that but op tried and could not reach focus with them all in he had to pull the eyepiece out a bit to achieve focus. He has now used a Barlow without the lens and is getting focus so definitely needs that extra piece. 

Another option is to drop your primary cell a little,i don't know what your cell is like,but my one has two sets of holes where the cell is bolted to the tube,giving you the option to move the cell up or down,also tighten the springs up as this will move the mirror further from the eyepiece.

Edited by paul mc c
typo
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Neil H said:

Do you guys that have Orion Optics do you know if there is a micro focuser kit I can fit to the OC1

I just retrograded a skywatcher electric focuser using some cogs. This I attached to the tube as in my pic of the moonlite focuser. I use that with the USB interface to computer to control focus. 

• Thanks 1

Orion Optics UK Newtonians are constructed to be used for visual as well as imaging.   This means the focus point is well away from the tube to enable a camera to reach focus, so for visual with an eyepiece an extension tube is required.

For visual use only, it’s a compromise because a low profile focuser could be used with a smaller secondary mirror, and the primary mirror further away, perhaps with a longer main tube.

But I suppose I can understand OO doing it the way they do, it simplifies production if they make dual purpose scopes, and probably it’s hardly noticeable if the secondary is a bit larger than they could use if their scopes were for visual only.

Better a slightly oversized secondary than undersized because that would not catch all the light from the primary.

Ed.

• Like 1

I'd upgrade the focuser asap. The scope deserves something better.

See if you can get hold of a moonlite.

You don't say what size the scope is ? It looks an 8" or 10"

If it is a 10, i have a Moonlite fitting kit for it (the base plate & spacers)

They are normally around £30-£40 i think. You can have it for nothing if you want it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Space Hopper said:

I'd upgrade the focuser asap. The scope deserves something better.

See if you can get hold of a moonlite.

You don't say what size the scope is ? It looks an 8" or 10"

If it is a 10, i have a Moonlite fitting kit for it (the base plate & spacers)

They are normally around £30-£40 i think. You can have it for nothing if you want it.

36 minutes ago, NGC 1502 said:

Nice folk on here........👍

Thank you mind is the VX8L 

Your all nice folk on here it's the best forum by far 

2 hours ago, dweller25 said:

@Neil H

You will not need the extension tube when you focus on astronomical targets

Well it does seem to focus so may be I don't need one , so how can I set up the spotter scope in the day time unless I can find something miles away