SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Barnard's Loop

Just before I went to bed tonight (Saturday 20th December) I let the dogs out and couldn't believe my eyes - a gap in the clouds! By the time I had set up and started imaging, I had 14 minutes before the cloud rolled in and I had blanket cover again!! s6.gif Luckily, I had used a wide aperture lens so I was only taking 100 second subs. and I managed to get 8 of them. This is the result:-

barnards_loop_201208_l.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus that loop really pops out.

And for only 800 seconds it's a cracker.

Taking nothing away from the superb image , I think the relatively fast 50mm prime lens helps with capruting the nebulosity is such a short time... thats the big advantage of using primes over zooms when doing widefield as they are invaraibly a lot faster.....

I'll have to keep an eye on Ebay I think...

Billy...

It's not often we see that Steve, in fact I bet a few are surprised at the existence of Barnards Loop.

It is amazing how some things done on an impulse, can yield such amazing results.

A very informative image, and I think your magazine of choice would grab this one.

Ron. :thumbright:

Jesus that loop really pops out.

And for only 800 seconds it's a cracker.

Taking nothing away from the superb image , I think the relatively fast 50mm prime lens helps with capruting the nebulosity is such a short time... thats the big advantage of using primes over zooms when doing widefield as they are invaraibly a lot faster.....

I'll have to keep an eye on Ebay I think...

Billy...

So would say a Canon F1.8 lens have a field wide enough to capture this. As being F1.8 it would be pretty fast.

So would say a Canon F1.8 lens have a field wide enough to capture this. As being F1.8 it would be pretty fast.

This image was taken with a 50mm focal length F1.8 standard Canon lens so the answer is YES! I always calculate the required field of view in advance and my spreadsheet told me that the 50mm lens and my 'APS' size sensor (typical size for a DSLR sensor) would give a FOV of approx. 26 x 18 degrees, perfect to frame this object.

The reason I have captured such a large amount of data is purely down to that wide aperture.

Archived