NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Something from the weekend - the Flaming Star Nebula

Laurin Dave

Captured over last weekends clear nights, 3.3 hrs each RGB and 4hrs Ha through Esprit150/SX46 and 1 hr G, 2hrs B and 6.5hrs Ha through Esprit100/ASI1600.  Processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop, the ASI1600 B and G data was taken in an attempt to enhance the reflection nebula, which I think it did.  Much use made of StarNet++ to produce starless images which were used as masks in Photoshop to a) mask stretch the blue and green components of the reflection and b) to merge two final images, one with small stars and one with greater nebulosity.  I reckon its worked rather well.. C and C welcome

Hope you like it and thanks for looking .. 

Dave

IC405_HaRGB_Final_levels_SELcol.thumb.jpg.98fc4932b381d0dd1104ddc62e7ae56c.jpg

Edited by Laurin Dave
oops forgot Selective colour
  • Like 19

3 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Very nice result Dave. Your processing is really good, I like the softness of the blue reflection regions, which looks very natural to my eye, whereas it can appear too harsh in some images that I've seen. Well done.

Thanks Geof,  the reflection bit is tricky,  it tends to disappear when you add in the Ha.

Dave

• Like 1

A beautify image and an interesting process. I must try StarNet++ on nebulae. From this and other posts it is making it much easier to balance up the components where you have a lot of stars present. COmpare with my IC405 taken at the same time with an OSC camera. It's nice to see the Milky Way starfireld, but it doesn't half get in the way!

• Thanks 1

Thanks all.

1 hour ago, old_eyes said:

A beautify image and an interesting process. I must try StarNet++ on nebulae. From this and other posts it is making it much easier to balance up the components where you have a lot of stars present. COmpare with my IC405 taken at the same time with an OSC camera. It's nice to see the Milky Way starfireld, but it doesn't half get in the way!

It certainly helps control the stars and nebulosity separately..  Been fiddling again, here's a version with further enhancement to the reflection nebula - hopefully not too harsh for you Geof.

Dave

IC405_HaRGB_Final_24Jan20.thumb.jpg.ca0498003a9df737660db9441ea6f348.jpg

• Like 3

Yes, Dave, you nailed that nebula!

I need to try that StarNet. It is a [removed word] that it does not work on my Mac so I would have to go back and forth on a Windows machine.

Edited by gorann
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Goran..  StarNet’s a really good tool and the Starless images have many uses..  I used to swop back and forwards between a Mac and Windows machine, a bit time consuming but well worth it.  Just make sure the images are properly registered before doing it..  as it’s a bit tricky registering without any stars! 

Dave