Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Keeping dew off of DSLR ?

kirkster501

8 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

What solutions do you guys use please to keep the dreaded dew at bay?  I don't want to use a dew band because that could disturb focus.

I couldn't image very long without a dewband on my DSLR.  I use one wrapped around the lens, with the lead held up around the body to avoid it trailing.  This is my SA setup.  I'm not sure what other options you have TBH?

6 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

My DSLR dewed over after 8 x 90s subs the other night.

What dew band do you use?  Would need to be slim one?

Just a regular dew band designed for a 2" eyepiece.  My Newtonian secondary dewed over the last night I was out, luckily the wifes hairdryer cleared it.  A dew shield on my DSLR wouldn't be enough especially at higher dec targets.

1 minute ago, kirkster501 said:

The focus is extremely sensitive I have found.  Concerned that a Dew band will disturb this focus, or make it more difficult to achieve.....  I'll have a look into it.  Thanks folks.

That was concerned of mine also, but I just have the band on both moving and non-moving parts, and it doesn't seem to move the focus, as long as the lead is not hanging down.

Once I reach focus and happy with it I use a small piece of decorators masking tape (low adhesive and leaves no residue when removed) across the focus ring and zoom to hold focus. I then use a coowoo lens heater/dew band which runs off usb.

• Like 1

I get focus then use a small piece of gorilla tape to stop the focus ring moving then pop a dew band for a 3" scope on the lens shade. Its powered by a 11.1v 5000maH lipo battery which also powers the camera.

Even after 5 - 7 hours on a damp night there is no dew on the lens - plenty on the camera body though!

• 2 weeks later...