NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astronomik or Baader NB filters

ApophisAstros

Do you *really* want [NII]? You'll have to get both HII and [NII] as 3nm filters from Astrodon, at £570 at time for the 1.24" size. As for Na, I don't know, maybe have a look in the Edmund Optics catalogue but be prepared for near Astrodon prices. My guess is you'll need to get a 2" / 50mm unmounted filter and either try to source a filter holder or put it in a 2" / 50mm wheel.

Edit: Found this Sodium (Near enough) filter from EO. Don't be shocked by the price, EO are notably pricey.

Edited by DaveS

5 hours ago, DaveS said:

Do you *really* want [NII]? You'll have to get both HII and [NII] as 3nm filters from Astrodon, at £570 at time for the 1.24" size. As for Na, I don't know, maybe have a look in the Edmund Optics catalogue but be prepared for near Astrodon prices. My guess is you'll need to get a 2" / 50mm unmounted filter and either try to source a filter holder or put it in a 2" / 50mm wheel.

Edit: Found this Sodium (Near enough) filter from EO. Don't be shocked by the price, EO are notably pricey.

it will be 1.25 inch filters and efw

Baader have good enough revuiews i think,,

Roger

Just so. Carole has it right.

Unless you are going to make a study of Planetary Nebulae, and possibly SNR then I'm not sure just how effective [NII] will be. I've hared down several blind alleys with [NII] and am no longer sure just how much real data I've acquired, given the 15% overlap between HII and [NII], even with 3nm filters.

I'm still investigating my old HII / [NII] data to see whether I have genuinely separated them.

• Like 1

On 23/12/2019 at 22:00, DaveS said:

Just so. Carole has it right.

Unless you are going to make a study of Planetary Nebulae, and possibly SNR then I'm not sure just how effective [NII] will be. I've hared down several blind alleys with [NII] and am no longer sure just how much real data I've acquired, given the 15% overlap between HII and [NII], even with 3nm filters.

I'm still investigating my old HII / [NII] data to see whether I have genuinely separated them.

Thanks Dave, shame no advice from any others i thought they may have the astrodon filters as i am going for them,

Roger 

OK, Re: the thread title, Astrodon, or Astronomik? There's a HUGE difference in price.

If you *can* afford them, then 3nm Astrodon (Or the slightly less ruinous Chroma) filters will make a big difference to your imaging, as the 3nm HII is very nearly moon-proof, and even the others will cut through LP very effectively. Just save yourself £570 or so by forgoing the [NII].

• Like 1

I use Astrodon , but if i had to choose  would go with Astronomik because i think they give a little bit better on the nm , and my next best choice would be Chroma...i haven't try them but i wish i could because i have seen some very interesting results.....

Don't forget though the most important factor, light pollution.....so it depends on which side you are.......

I would make up my mind depending on that factor and then my budget......😀

Edited by Nikolas74
correction

I mostly have astronomic NB and LP and RGB types , I have some baader but only for special imaging like UV or moon and planetary imaging, so I would stick astronomic make. but others are out there like optolong etc, but I have no experience with them. ton

I bought some Baader ones off a kindly seller on here. Not tried them yet but looked at some images on Astrobin etc and for the money thought they’d be plenty good enough for me at the moment. 

Of course I’d love a set of Astrodons but then I’d love a Tak in every focal length they do and a Ferrari. 

If I manage to get my imaging to the next level then I may make the step and given my LRGB set are Baader so made sense to have a complete set :)

Note I’ve not used them in anger yet. As for Astronimk - similar price to Baader but strictly from reviews and forum comments only they don’t seem as well received. 

Edited by dannybgoode

The [NII] lines are either side of the H-alpha line, and very close so you need a 3nm or narrower bandwidth to separate them, most Hydrogen images are actually H+N. The [NII] lines are most strongly shown in planetary nebulae, and some SNR. I have had some success with [NII] in the Rosette, giving a nice 3D effect, but think [SII] might be more effective there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, apophisOAS said:

All purchased and eventually got Baaders at Astrofest at the Widescreen Centre , Ha 3nm , Oiii 4.5nm and Sii 4.5nm with a hefty discount.😉

I think you will be very happy with them - I too was undecided and went for the Baader 2" LRGBHaSiiand Oiii and I have been very happy with them

I have seen amazing images made with Baader filters and some real shockers taken with Astrodons !!  

• Thanks 1

Chroma originally made the filters for Astrodon, they are every bit an equal to Astrodon. If in doubt ask @swag72

I bought mine direct from Chroma, and I use 2” unmounted.

Off the top of my head the LRGB were about £800 and although I got a special deal on the NB you are probably looking at around £2k for them.

I am having zero halos and some lovely images even with a full moon.

Did you mean sodium as I think you might have meant Sulphur SII.

I looked at Nitrogen but to be truthful can’t really see the point for now and as Dave said, probably more useful for planetary.

Edited by Jkulin

3 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Chroma originally made the filters for Astrodon, they are every bit an equal to Astrodon. If in doubt ask @swag72

I bought mine direct from Chroma, and I use 2” unmounted.

Off the top of my head the LRGB were about £800 and although I got a special deal on the NB you are probably looking at around £2k for them.

I am having zero halos and some lovely images even with a full moon.

Did you mean sodium as I think you might have meant Sulphur SII.

I looked at Nitrogen but to be truthful can’t really see the point for now and as Dave said, probably more useful for planetary.

Just to clarify, not planetary, but planetary nebulae. M27, for instance has a very strong [NII] signal. Unfortunately I stuffed up the focus when I was trying to image it, then ran out of time due to the run of rubbish weather.

• Thanks 1

On 03/02/2020 at 20:46, DaveS said:

Did Widescreen really have Baader 3.5 H-alpha?

I've been waiting for @FLO to deliver mine since forever. Got my [OIII] and [SII], but no sign of the HII :( .

yes got it yesterday , but have to wait for the sii and oiii to be ordered from makers, a couple of weeks apparently , got all 3 for £600!

Roger

• Like 2