Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ok your right

Hi all , ok your right the spotter scope on the Celestron powerseeker is rubbish , I lined the telescope up then went to adjust the spotter scope and the image is upside down to start but the best is about 4 mm to the side of what the telescope is lined up on 

Now does sliding the scope  in or out more on its mount change the amount of left to right movement the scope has so I can get it over by 4mm so it lines up , just for now I will get a red dot scope soon it's top of my list 

If the finder scope is the type that is held to the scope tube with 2 nuts then you could shim the base of the finder mount to tilt it slightly when it is screwed on to the scope tube.

Assuming that your finder looks like the one below, I've indicated where you could shim the finder mount to tilt it:

050234210492_PowerSeeker_127EQ_21049_6_570x380.jpg.a3bbfdf9c8a52a49a06cf4ae67c11082.jpg

• Like 1

If you loosen the two nuts a little you might be able to wriggle the finder around and find a spot where it matches the scope view more exactly. They do seem to have limited adjustment in the fitting itself which is why some movement of the base on the scope itself is required.

That might get you by until you get the red dot replacement finder (which is probably a good plan by the way) :smiley:

• Like 1

I have a Terad finder on my NexStar 8se.

It is big, but it is so much better than the craptastic red dot finder that came with my scope.

Maybe for your scope a Rigel QuikFinder Compact Reflex Sight might be better, found here:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/rigel-quikfinder-compact-reflex-sight.html

Edit: Just seen John of Derby has beat me to it.

Edited by Mick H

i agree i have both a rigel and telrad  both are top rated

but if u have small scopes use a rigel if u got a larger one then really both or one of the 2 are good

ps iam glad u didnt get too upset on that other post where i said the 5x24 finder was not good if u get the rigel it comes with 2 bases so u can use that one unit on 2 different scopes. larter if u sell that scope take off the rigel base and just use googone to clean the padded tape from the scope and re use it on your new scope and give the oringinal 5x24 finder with the oringinal scope. ps the telrad only comes with 1 base and extra cost $13 so thats a good reason to get the rigel.

joejaguar

Edited by joe aguiar

Another good option is the Baader Sky surfer V

Its the Rolls Royce of red dot finders.  It wont dew up like a Telrad either. Telrads are great, for me its just the dew issue with them. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/baader-40mm-super-sky-surfer-v.html

I know its pricy, but for a lot less, they also do another much cheaper alternative : the Sky Surfer iii. I've used them both.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/baader-30mm-sky-surfer-iii.html

Thanks again guys i will get the rigal  quickfinder it will fit the telescope better 

Hi Joe no my friend you didn't upset me , you Guys and Gals on here know what your talking about and I am glad you all don't beat around  the Bush and tell it straight ,so thanks for that 

Neil

Some of the cheaper SW 'scopes have a similar finder fitting to the Powerseeker.

As John has pointed out, you need to get the base as square as possible on the 'scope using the two thumbscrews, then you will be able to adjust the finder.

The same problem might present itself with what ever new finder you decide on, so be prepared. ;)

That's very true I had to stick with tape due to the finger screws keep coming loose. I don't like the image being inverted and it's a very narrow field of view so was going to change it any way . I will tape the new one on till I know it's in the right place before I mount it for good 

Edited by Neil H

Neil

I have a Saxon right angle finderscope on my Dob

Has two adjusting screws to align the cross hairs 

With most finderscopes, you will find the image is upside down

Pic of my 10" flex dob with right angle finderscope

John

Skywatcher 10 inch Dobson.jpg

Ok for the price. It does the job, but out of that and the Rigel, i'd probably pick the Rigel.

The Baader Skysurfer iii is a bit plasticky, and i accidentally broke mine.

That was my cue to upgrade it to the all metal Skysurfer V and i haven't looked back.

It might be worth just changing your thought train if it's proving impossible.  Once you know how far out it is to the object you can see through the telescope view and you should be able to determine this (with care that you don't point the sun) during daytime.  You should be able to quite easily apply this in your mind as you use the scope.   I have a finder that I can align, and sometimes I just use that alone applying that method.

Hi all well I popped over to Tring Astronomy he had lots i could not afford lol , and a few i could he recommended the Celestron star pointer pro , well it fits well and took less than 2 mins to set up , he said it had less of a dew problem as lens is shielded, I will use this for now and when I upgrade telescope i will also upgrade scope 

Edited by Neil H
Spelling mistakes

On 02/12/2019 at 04:15, Neil H said:

I was looking as mine is a cheap telescope didn't want to spend loads just in case I don't get bitten by the bug , if I do get bitten by the bug i Will up grade everything

The original 5x24 finder-scope that came with my Celestron "PowerSeeker" 127EQ is not bad at all, although perhaps limited by its 24mm aperture.  Still, the view through it, albeit during the day, was most satisfactory; rather a wide view, bright, sharp and clear, and defying the usual first impressions of such an accessory.

The solution to most-easily aligning the finder-scope to the telescope is painfully, quite, and woefully simple...

376447191_5x24fix.jpg.d7990b0bdcfe931b8368a47ca10c7ca2.jpg

The finder-scope, the tube, must fit snugly there at the front of the holder.  I used about a 12mm wide strip of flocking, all round.  A few thicknesses of tape will work, in a pinch.  After that's done, aligning the finder-scope to the optical-tube with the three adjustment-screws becomes painfully, quite, and woefully easy.

Edited by Alan64