NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Upcoming ZWO ASIAIR 'Pro'

Yes, I believe other solutions like mini PC or even the upcoming Stellarmate on Raspberry Pi 4, offer more value for the money than the ASIAIR. Same with the AstroBar1 from QHY or the Eagle Core from Primaluce Lab. And they are compatible with most camera brands, unlike ZWO's closed system, which is a big advantage.

I think where the ASIAIR really shines though, is its simplicity. Astro software are often complex and provide a lot of options. But my time in the field is usually limited to 2-3 hours per night, so I need something that is plug and play, simple to use, to get as much photons as possible. And I really hate struggling with the software in the middle of a public park... Been there, and it's very frustrating. 

Also, the fact that I don't have to bring a laptop, because I control everything with my phone, is also a big plus for the ASIAIR. The native app for iOS and Android is rather simple, but works very well for my limited usage :) It's definitely a tool aimed at beginners and travellers, as well as people who don't want to spend too much time learning complex software.

However, if I had a garden and therefore a more permanent setup, I would probably switch to a mini PC or Stellarmate at some point. Software like Ekos and NINA seem very promising, once you understand how they work :) 

Anyway, it's great to have lots of options, for different budgets and situations. We're living exciting times, and I can't wait to see what's going to happen in the next 10-20 years!

• Like 2

On 01/11/2019 at 13:35, Space Oddities said:

Perhaps they've placed a fan inside to cool down the CPU. They seem to be cutting down the temperature quite effectively: https://www.martinrowan.co.uk/2019/08/cool-cases-for-the-hot-raspberry-pi-4/

I don’t reckon that’s a metal case (paint would typically show a brushed aluminium grain), looks more like plastic, which would also support the wi-fi wireless transmission without the need for an external antenna.

Maybe also the power adapter from V1 is now incorporated into the box, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Telescope Express in Germany’s has the pro listed for €249

Further Information is limited even in the ZWO Asiair Facebook group.

Wish they would take there time and hurry up :D 

I am in the same boat as you. I was going to get the pocket power box due to not having an anything to combat dew.

Hopefully this can control dew strips as it seems to be very handy .

I seem to spend a lot of time trying to get the laptop to do what I want it to do! :) 

On 07/12/2019 at 18:07, Muzz said:

I am in the same boat as you. I was going to get the pocket power box due to not having an anything to combat dew.

Hopefully this can control dew strips as it seems to be very handy .

I seem to spend a lot of time trying to get the laptop to do what I want it to do! :) 

From the specs that leaked, there doesn't seem to be any output for dew heaters, like there is on the Pocket Powerbox. That's a pity! I was in the same situation, and went for the Powerbox instead, figured it's more future proof too.

On 01/11/2019 at 13:25, FLO said:

The rumour is real. There is a new ZWO ASiair in the pipeline. But because it is still in development we don't know when it will be released. 

We are now accepting pre-orders for the new ZWO ASiair Pro 🙂 

We are also offering an ASiair trade-in service that enables you to trade-in your original ZWO ASiair to receive £100 discount off the price of a new ASIAIR Pro. 

HTH, 

Steve 

35 minutes ago, FLO said:

We are now accepting pre-orders for the new ZWO ASiair Pro 🙂 

We are also offering an ASiair trade-in service that enables you to trade-in your original ZWO ASiair to receive £100 discount off the price of a new ASIAIR Pro. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Didn’t see the trade in offer on your website when I pre-ordered mine Steve. How will it work? 

25 minutes ago, Grierson said:

Didn’t see the trade in offer on your website when I pre-ordered mine Steve. How will it work? 

11 minutes ago, FLO said:

If you pre-ordered one from us then no problem. Please email us 🙂 

Ah. I have just looked though our current pre-orders and cannot see any with your name so probably best you contact your supplier to ask them if they will offer the same or similar. 

Alternatively, you could offer your original ASiair for sale in the Astro Classifieds board here at SGL. 

HTH

On 11/12/2019 at 13:37, Space Oddities said:

From the specs that leaked, there doesn't seem to be any output for dew heaters, like there is on the Pocket Powerbox. That's a pity! I was in the same situation, and went for the Powerbox instead, figured it's more future proof too.

I asked about dew heater connectivity on the facebook group and was told that dew heater connection is included.  No idea if that's true or not though.

I'm going to put my order in, my laptop doesn't like the outdoors!!

Looking at the known specs, could anyone tell me if the ZWO EAF (elec. auto. focuser) can be powered direct from the ASIair, or does it still require external power?  Same goes for the cooler fan on the ASI 1600mm Pro?   I'm hopeless when it comes to electronics!

Edited by Jammy
spelling mistake

1 hour ago, FLO said:

Ah. I have just looked though our current pre-orders and cannot see any with your name so probably best you contact your supplier to ask them if they will offer the same or similar. 

Alternatively, you could offer your original ASiair for sale in the Astro Classifieds board here at SGL. 

HTH

Certainly did pre-order from you. Are there any other suppliers. 😀 I will e-mail. 

John

They have had the EAF out for a while now but still no autofocus on the original Air. Will this version support autofocus with the EAF? Not that it matters to me but it raises an eyebrow or two when they release a new product like this while not having "finished" support on another...

4 hours ago, Jammy said:

I asked about dew heater connectivity on the facebook group and was told that dew heater connection is included.  No idea if that's true or not though.

I'm going to put my order in, my laptop doesn't like the outdoors!!

Looking at the known specs, could anyone tell me if the ZWO EAF (elec. auto. focuser) can be powered direct from the ASIair, or does it still require external power?  Same goes for the cooler fan on the ASI 1600mm Pro?   I'm hopeless when it comes to electronics!

I read on the agena astro site that the 12 v outputs can handle up to 3 A each (10 A max, total), and some are pwm controlled = can be used for dew heaters. That should be enough for the eaf and camera power. I just wonder how much heat will be generated if you run both the sbc and the power outputs at full capacity.

• Like 1

Interested to see how the final production model shapes up. Love the idea of what this is but personally i am struggling to justify the price point over an Intel based NUC. I can see the attraction but am looking forward to the final specs and real world reviews 🙂

5 hours ago, Zayvin said:

personally i am struggling to justify the price point over an Intel based NUC

Those must be cheap in your neck of the woods. Over here a barebones nuc with zero storage costs about the same as an asiair v1. And then you still need to configure that nuc and get all the software.

If I didn't have a working Ekos/Kstars solution, I'd definitely go for either this or the StellarMate. The real downside of asiair imo, is that it's locked to only zwo and dslr cameras. 

The difference with the Intel NUC and any other PC based solution, is that it works out of the box and is extremely simple to use. That's what you actually pay for, I think, and these 2 products are for different people I would say.

For beginners like me, who need to go to a public park to take pictures... that makes a huge difference! I just need my phone, click a few buttons and everything just works.

Astro software on Windows also work great, but they're often not user friendly, with outdated or complex UI, lots of options and features that someone inexperienced doesn't need :) 

As an analogy, it's just like point & shoot vs. DSLR. The DSLR has more options, is more reliable, but also more complex. A point & shoot just works out of the box, and that's all you need sometimes :) 

Perhaps an in-between solution is the Stellarmate. It has more features and is compatible with non-ZWO products, and comes as an "out of the box" device. Also, they're working on making it compatible with the Raspberry Pi 4, which is much more powerful and supports USB 3.0. I think that's a great and mature alternative to small PC/ASIAIR, for those who need more control and compatibility!

Edited by Space Oddities

Hi, I really am confused, I have been looking at thePrimaluce Eagle Core, with everything I would need to buy it would be in excess of £800.00 but that would allow me to use my Canon 600d as my main imaging camera and Iwould need to buy a new ZWO 120mm-s camera for the guide scope, it never ends.

Anyway would the ASIAIR allow me to use my Canon and would the ZWO camera I already have (zwo 120mm) work on the guide scope? Also would my Primaluce Sesto Senso focus work with the air?

My scope is an Explore Scientific ed80apo and my mount is an AVX.

44 minutes ago, Dinoboy said:

Hi, I really am confused, I have been looking at thePrimaluce Eagle Core, with everything I would need to buy it would be in excess of £800.00 but that would allow me to use my Canon 600d as my main imaging camera and Iwould need to buy a new ZWO 120mm-s camera for the guide scope, it never ends.

Anyway would the ASIAIR allow me to use my Canon and would the ZWO camera I already have (zwo 120mm) work on the guide scope? Also would my Primaluce Sesto Senso focus work with the air?

My scope is an Explore Scientific ed80apo and my mount is an AVX.

Which ASI120 do you have? The older version, the MM-S which is the same shape as the older one or the newer 1.25" version?