Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

To learn or use tech

Good point about astrophotography, when I first bought my telescope I had no intention of ever using it for picutres. Fast forward 3 months and I don't do too much visual work and have started up the long path of photography.

Just be aware that this can become a money pit very quickly so it might be worth saving now and building up a pot if you fancy this in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Having taken the journey mentioned above a couple of years ago, I definitely wouldn't go back and change it.  Looking back at that initial FLO order, the key items were - Skyliner 200P Dob, Turn Left at Orion and a Cheshire collimating eyepiece.  These items were based on existing advice throughout SGL that intimated at this being a great first step.  It was more than that - the things I saw through the 200P in my first year (and beyond) were amazing and it really got be me into the star hopping and associated pattern matching to find targets.  I now have a good number of sky atlas as well, but compliment these with something like Sky Safari too.

The cherry on top was a RACI finder (and Rigel quick finder) which just made everything that bit more comfortable too.

While I've added additional equipment since (including just recently a GOTO mount) I can't see a reason why I would ever sell the 200P.

Each person is different and learning the sky can also come with a GOTO depending on your approach.

Quite a number of good points mentioned here. I would also make sure that you could pick 2 x mid range eyepieces within your budget. Now I'm not suggesting big money. But I started out with a 114 (4.5inch Reflector on an un-driven/non goto mount) I had a ball with scope over the following few years learning so much about the sky, star hopping & also about the scope, mount setup.

I soon realised after taking advise that if I could upgrade the bundled eyepieces, what an improvement it would be.  Wow so not wrong I recall moving on to a higher grade plossl and the scope seemed to come alive yet again!. So I would make sure you leave a a little in reserve for lets say a couple of BST EP's. A solid step up from the bundled. Now i know you may say what size EP's, that's one for when you chose your scope - type & focal length.

Good Luck!. Welcome & enjoy the Hobby

Rob

• Like 1

At any rate, I'd return the  Capricorn - the wobbly EQ 1mount would be a source of constant hassle. The 200 P Skywatcher Dob is a lifetime scope  and  excellent all-rounder; if it's too big and bulky, the smaller Skywatcher Heritage 130 P Flextube is a good alternative. Very compact, easy to transport and to set up; very good f/5 optics, that hold the collimation well, decent Dob mount. If you are living under light-polluted skies, a versatile travel - or grab-and-go scope. Many pleased owners on here (including myself). A huge thread on CloudyNights (One Sky Newtonian = Heritage 130P); just to meander around:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/463109-onesky-newtonian-astronomers-without-borders/

Would leave enough money for red/white torch, Pocket Sky Atlas, SkySafari 6 Plus, and decent eyepieces, even a 10x50 binocular (Olympus DPS e.g.).

No need for GoTo - it's better to "learn the ropes" in the old fashioned style, IMO.

Stephan

• Like 3

if you can glimpse andromeda with naked eyes, then guide stars are visible, an you will be able to easily find objects, if you live in heavily light poluted areas as I am, then I would recommend GOTO, since it is pretty frustrating trying to find gudide stsr with red dot. 

I have found that you learn the sky with either, there is no "One or the other".

A lot will be a case of what do you want to do. If you want to go to an object and see them then move on after a while to another then the goto. If you want to scan around the sky a bit and see what you bump into then get a manual one.

The goto would mean you have to have an idea of what you would want to go look at to occupy an evening of observing. In effect you have some homework of making a short list up. They are useful as you can just let the scope track the target for 10-20 minutes as you need do little once the object is found. A goto is not automatic. There is a fair bit that you need to do before it will do its bit of going to a selected object. Most is actually manual strangely.

A scope like a dobsonian needs no real setup and if you ignore cool down - think everyone really does - you can be viewing in minutes or less. With a dobsonian you can sort of wander through a constellation and see what pops into view.

Biggest decision will be Astrophotography or not. A dobsonian is not the scope for any real imaging. So decide that aspect initially. Or decide to have a visual dobsonian and a separate imaging rig. A 6" dobsinian is something for you to use while the imaging rig is collecting an hours worth of exposures.

But the idea of "Learn or Goto" is somewhat invalid. Bet no-one has been at a star party where the owner of a goto has asked which star is which for them to set their scope up. Everyone I have met with a goto knows all the stars, where the targets are and whether to scope has gone to the right area of sky for the requested target - they know the sky.

• Like 1