NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Alt-Az mount + GoTo system which has the option for manual usage (without electricity)?

Adam_Wade

Hello everyone. I am looking for suggestions for a replacement mount for my 120ED refractor (about 22 lbs/10 kg total with EPs and accessories).

I am drawn to a manual alt-az such as the Gibraltar, and admire the simplicity, the lack of electricity/cables/hand controllers, etc. However, it would be nice to have optional GoTo capability along with tracking for high-magnification objects.

Current contenders include:

• TV Gibraltar HD5
  • Rowan AZ100
  • NoH Mount CT-30
  • DiscMount DM-6
  • Desert Sky DSV-3

I currently have a AVX with Error Code 16/17 issues. Due to 2-way shipping and repair costs from Celestron, I am not sure what to do with it given that I bought it for $650 in 2013.

I use the AZ100 with my TEC140 and C 9.25.  I previously used the Skywatcher AZEQ6. Totally concur with JeremyS’s assessment.  Excellent performer in manual and motorised configurations - I recently had the motors fitted - and very user friendly.  Beautifully engineered to very high standard. Couldn’t be more pleased.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adam_Wade said:

I currently have a AVX with Error Code 16/17 issues. Due to 2-way shipping and repair costs from Celestron, I am not sure what to do with it given that I bought it for $650 in 2013.

That same error is a straightforward DIY fix on a Celestron SLT mount - just reload the mount (not handset) firmware. It actually means 'no response from mount'.  If that doesn't work, check connectors.

What is your tolerance to weight versus manual controls?

You could look at the HAZ31 that is around 3.7 kg and can take an AP130GTX easily.

Almost grab n' go and with great tracking at the loss of manual controls.

If you want manual controls and possibility of tracking (GoTo guidance) then AZ100 is unbeatable,

The Panther if you need a top loader however twice the price for that feature, no manual guidance,  I'm not sure it is worth it.  

8 hours ago, JeremyS said:

I use the AZ100 with my Tak TSA 120. Manual mode. Superb performer and engineering. Recommended.

Go Longhorns!! 

8 hours ago, JTEC said:

I use the AZ100 with my TEC140 and C 9.25.  I previously used the Skywatcher AZEQ6. Totally concur with JeremyS’s assessment.  Excellent performer in manual and motorised configurations - I recently had the motors fitted - and very user friendly.  Beautifully engineered to very high standard. Couldn’t be more pleased.

From my understanding, if you order the AZ100 with encoders + GoTo motors,

1. You have the option of using it with or without electric power?

2. If so how quickly can you transition between powered and manual mode? 

I wasted 10h driving to and from a dark site because my AVX didn’t work, and using it manually is not feasible at higher powers. Given the enthusiasm here I think the Rowan will be my pick. 

6 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

That same error is a straightforward DIY fix on a Celestron SLT mount - just reload the mount (not handset) firmware. It actually means 'no response from mount'.  If that doesn't work, check connectors.

I will try this. Thank you.

I ordered a replacement hand controller, cleaned out all the connection points with isopropyl alcohol, and switched from lithium battery to in-wall power supply. No luck with those. 

The astro shop from where I purchased the mount diagnosed it and checked the connections. They suggested sending it back to Celestron since they could not identify the issue.

1 hour ago, Adam_Wade said:

If so how quickly can you transition between powered and manual mode? 

It's in the manual linked above, however you can turn the motors on and off from the web app.

Personally I'd use the handle to move the mount and then the motors for fine adjustment. 

Due to the encoders the mount does not lose its position.

No need for the telescope to wobble with manual adjustment.

if needed the slo mo cables can be fitted quickly, just leave them in the bag/case.

2 hours ago, JTEC said:

Thank you for sharing. Page 8 is key.

I wanted a mount that I can pick up with the 120ED on it and start observing within seconds from my rooftop balcony. No power supply or phone or cables needed. This is 90% of my observing session due to my career. 

The AZ100 can function that way, but not if I order it with the GoTo motor configuration.

I think I may need to buy two mounts to get what I want. An unpowered high quality alt-az for quick sessions after work and a GoTo mount for dark site trips 2-3x/year.

Edited by Adam_Wade

9 hours ago, Deadlake said:

What is your tolerance to weight versus manual controls?

You could look at the HAZ31 that is around 3.7 kg and can take an AP130GTX easily.

Almost grab n' go and with great tracking at the loss of manual controls.

If you want manual controls and possibility of tracking (GoTo guidance) then AZ100 is unbeatable,

The Panther if you need a top loader however twice the price for that feature, no manual guidance,  I'm not sure it is worth it.  

I forgot to respond to you earlier. Thank you for mentioning a mount which wasn’t on my radar. I am physically active and young so mount head/tripod weight is not a concern for me, unless over 100 lbs.

I likely will just order the AZ100 (or similar) without any motors to have a sturdy and simple alt-az mount. 

It’s similar to why I have Bluetooth and wired headphones. It feels good to just plug and play something in a 3.5mm jack.