Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Metal or Concrete pier for Dome?

tooth_dr

6 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

heres my concrete one . 600mm cube under the deck and rebar up through the duct. all cabling internal. I figured i needed a concrete block whatever i was doing so easier to knock up a little more and make the pier as one big 1 ton lump. all in i think it came to £150ish with the concrete, stainless fixings, plate and duct

20190212_161841.thumb.jpg.d4aee84ce07d6d3b09e0bfd83ae70cce.jpg

20190216_170411.thumb.jpg.7bf9f604000ad54997056a8ddd4f4573.jpg

20190217_135247.thumb.jpg.f0c3af9b8d5ea739ee59766f3d7b77d9.jpg

20190514_165252.thumb.jpg.987c4f2f11453a59aef5ab266561f964.jpg

Ok @Anthonyexmouth, next sunny day, we're all coming down with our floral garlands, Hawaiian shirts, etc and ukuleles. Can you supply the Mai Tai's?

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Hi John

That is a nice looking pier.  Yes that would be great, I would love to have a look at the plans.

Pier Drawing.pdf

Hi Adam,

Attached is the pier drawing, and the top plate for the pier which was designed around an Altair pier adapter, which worked perfectly with my AZ-EQ6-GT and my iOptron CEM60EC, I have also attached a drawing of the pier plate that was made for my iOptron CEM120EC and I had some holes drilled to allow it to be bolted to the top of the pier.

HTH

Head Design.jpg

120EC Pier.PNG

1 hour ago, bottletopburly said:

Cost of a metal pier should be sub £200 , and I would source tube from a local engineering company next time , powder coating cost me £20 , lasermaster done my plates , and I used 5” tube , rock solid 

Pier _installed

That’s really great looking. 

• Like 1

Mine is thick walled high pressure steam pipe (from a submarine!) - the flanges were welded on each end.

The concrete block was drilled for the studs when it had cured and they were set in construction epoxy.

The top is just a steel disc with bolts welded to it that match the holes in the top flange. I am not a fan of the 'rat cage' design but with 8 x M16 bolts there is no flex.

Painted with 4 coats of Smoothrite and filled with sand. 

If/when we move house its easy to unbolt and leaves nothing but a concrete pad (after cutting the studs off flush).

Total cost - well under £100. If I did it again I wouldn't do anything different.

Photos here

and here

• Like 1