SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

GRS central on Jup 15th Aug 20:55 BST

dweller25

Nice views here currently :smiley:

Interesting to compare the apparent diameters of Ganymede and Europa while they are relatively close to each other in the sky. Ganymede has a noticably larger disk through the eyepiece at around 130x. It's apparent diameter is 1.5 arc seconds compared with Europa's .90 arc secs according to Cartes du Ciel.

I'm using the Tak FC-100DL this evening.

Β 

Thanks David - not looked at it for some time. Just had a look in the ST80 at 68x. Obviously disc isΒ small but GRS darker than i've seen it for a while and prominent, moreΒ blackish inΒ tone.Β Being still quite light and atmosphere steady helps with the glare, but the view is ok.

Β 

andrew

Edited by andrew63
spell

Views not so good here, seeing quite poor and not improved by having to observe through a tree just at the moment! That should improve in a little while. Perhaps a Tak would have been better than the 8", but the dob was easier to get out and setup tonight.

Annoyingly the beautiful clear evening has been infested with the high cirrus ahead of the incoming rain for tomorrow.

So my west and south horizons are busted even before dark.

I was looking forward to getting some Jupiter action on my newly acquired NexStar 127 SLT :(

12 minutes ago, johnturley said:

Just had a look, but atmospheric conditions too unsteady here to make out GRS,

John

Just gone back for another look, and can now make it out, although still very unsteady.

Agree that it is quite dark, definitely darker than last year, although a lot smaller than it was 30 years ago.

John

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

Views not so good here, seeing quite poor and not improved by having to observe through a tree just at the moment! That should improve in a little while. Perhaps a Tak would have been better than the 8", but the dob was easier to get out and setup tonight.

As usual views were better just after sunset and have now got worse.

Earlier the GRS was very easy and there was a definite thinning of the SEB to the right of the GRS.

Just swung the scope round to Saturn and could just make out the Cassini and the darker polar region on the planet but not much else.

The seeing hereΒ  is poor, like water flowing over the JovianΒ disc, however, I can see the GRS ,Β  so I will hope for some improvement.

Magnification is 57X through my Tak FC.

Edited by Saganite

Seeing is fair to middling here. Good enough to see GRS plus main belts clearly with some structure, other belts less clearly. Jupiter currently behind a tree though so an enforced break in planetary viewing to take in some Summer binaries. More planetary soon I hope :smiley:

Β 

Β 

GRS was quite obvious at low power but it was not a night for planetary observing here unfortunately, seeing just not good enough.

I managed to see the size difference between Ganymede and Europa which was good, thanks for pointing that one out JohnΒ 

• Like 1

Jupiter well past it's best here tonight so I've moved over to Saturn and the views of that are pretty good :smiley:

I can see that my fun is not going to last though - more and more patches of cloud are scudding across the sky.

If I get another 30 minutes observing I'll be doing well. It's been a nice session though so thanks for the "heads up" David :icon_salut:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John said:

Jupiter well past it's best here tonight so I've moved over to Saturn and the views of that are pretty good :smiley:

I can see that my fun is not going to last though - more and more patches of cloud are scudding across the sky.

If I get another 30 minutes observing I'll be doing well. It's been a nice session though so thanks for the "heads up" David :icon_salut:

πŸ‘

I caught a glimpse before Jupiter set in the trees - the seeing here was poor to average, but high cloud made things difficult. Saturn seemed to come with a cloud attached last night which tracked it for some time - very annoying.

I tried out my DIY azimuth circle for the Skytee2 mount and Wixey to find Neptune which was in a clearer patch of sky. Straight to it within 0.5 degrees - a very nice view, although too much background haze and Moon to have a chance at Triton though.

Chris

• Like 3

I'm getting cautiously excited! Clear blue skies and gentle winds at 4.30pm, could this be my first chance for 2 months???

GRS due to be centre stage between 9.30pm and 10.30pm, I'm going to throw everything I've got at it up to 375x with the Vixen SLV 4mm and see what's possible. :)Β 

sun.jpg.f598bc3026bb2eb285757b307b426179.jpg

• Like 2