Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TeleVue 16mm Nagler T5 alternatives?

A McEwan

I've been going through my kit the last few days, and thinking and playing about, and remembering.

I used to have a T5 Nagler 16mm and at some point I moved it on, and I can't remember why or what I replaced it with.

I think I liked it? I know I love my 13mm T6 - it's one eyepiece I use in every observing session! I suspect I must have replaced the 16mm T5 with a 17mm T4 which I held onto for a few years before selling, as I now much prefer 1.25" eyepieces because of balance issues.

So... is there anything out now that is comparable with the 16mm T5 Nagler in 1.25" barrel?  Or will I ultimately want to just replace what I had originally?!

Thoughts?

Ant   :) 

6 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Ant

You sold it because you are an Astronomer and on the Merry Go Round of ever changing kit!

Funny how you return to old favourites though, sometimes an item is only truly appreciated when it’s gone.

True. One of my biggest regrets was the 90mm f6.6 Triplet Apo I sold.... another very sad story.   :(

I moved from a WO UWAN to a 16mm T5 Nagler but the differences were pretty small to be honest. Not sure if the additional £'s to get the T5 16 were money well spent.

Currently I use the 14 and 17.3 Delos and also have a 13 Ethos so that spot in the eyepiece range is quite well covered.

I guess the Morpheus 14 or 17.5 might also be a worthy contender ?

I used to love the 13mm T6 as well when I had a set of the T6's :smiley:

• Like 1

The Nirvana ES 16mm is a real bargain at the moment for a mere £85.00 from most UK dealers. Very, very nearly as good as the Nagler.

I have the 4mm, 7mm and 16mm and find them very nice to use. Prefer the new rubber eyecups over the old flat topped versions.

AD572A2E-31DF-4136-8387-FCD30E358B1D.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The Nirvana ES 16mm is a real bargain at the moment for a mere £85.00 from most UK dealers. Very, very nearly as good as the Nagler.

I have the 4mm, 7mm and 16mm and find them very nice to use. Prefer the new rubber eyecups over the old flat topped versions.

AD572A2E-31DF-4136-8387-FCD30E358B1D.jpeg

Interesting!  :)

This is what the Skywatcher Nirvana / WO UWAN 16 mm looked like when they still had a twist-up eye cup.

Nirvana.png.cd5d4666ce6ac344225077e5efbce9b1.png

I have this eyepiece. It's compact, comfortable and optically very good.

There aren't many focal lengths, just 4, 7 and 16mm. The 16mm has the largest eye lens and plenty eye relief.

Two months back, Agnes posted a report on the new 16mm Nirvana:

8 minutes ago, Ruud said:

This is what the Skywatcher Nirvana / WO UWAN 16 mm looked like when they still had a twist-up eye cup.

Nirvana.png.cd5d4666ce6ac344225077e5efbce9b1.png

I have this eyepiece. It's compact, comfortable and optically very good.

There aren't many focal lengths, just 4, 7 and 16mm. The 16mm has the largest eye lens and plenty eye relief.

Two months back, Agnes posted a report on the new 16mm Nirvana:

You forgot the big brother 

the 28mm

That review was with an ST80 which might not be the best scope to use an 82 degree Eyepiece in. A 68 degree eyepiece will suit it much better. Some interesting comments in this CN thread. 

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/590289-at-what-point-does-field-curvature-bother-you/

Edited by johninderby

4 hours ago, A McEwan said:

Thoughts?

The 16T5 Nagler I have is a good lightweight eyepiece, no better optically than the 18mm ES 82. If you want better optics, get a Delos- Very deep, contrasty eyepieces- they are heavier though.

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

That review was with an ST80 which might not be the best scope to use an 82 degree Eyepiece in

I was using two scopes - ST80 and Skymax 102. I had my doubts about the Nirvana because I was seeing more field curvature in the Nirvana than in my ES 24/68 which shows a wider true field.

Despite my initial scepticism the Nirvana is now my most used eyepiece in all my scopes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, A McEwan said:

Thoughts? 

I let my 16 T5 go, nice as it was, because I suspected I wouldn't miss it. I don't mind the gap between the 24 Panoptic and the 13 T6.

But this is unreasonably practical and all very well, I admit. :rolleyes2: 

The 19 Panoptic seems to provide just about the same FOV as the 16 T5, with less magnification, of course, but more of the Panoptic Charm, if that's your thing...

That's another reason I let the 16 T5 go - I really like the Panoptic views and I had the 19 mm as well. But, I don't really use the 19 Panoptic very often, either...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...