NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cycle 25 spot

Freddie

Typical, nothing much to see the last few sunny days, tiny AR appears along with clouds / rain.

May well be the start of 25 as I believe new cycle spots start low on the disc then gradually appear higher up as the cycle progresses.

Fingers crossed.

Dave

Got it visually in white light :D Looks like one small spot with two even smaller spots next to it on the limb side. Are these pores? 

There’s also a lighter region around the spot. Almost looks like a fries egg with the spot being the yolk. Is the lighter region what’s called plague?

Edited by Littleguy80

3 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Typical, nothing much to see the last few sunny days, tiny AR appears along with clouds / rain.

May well be the start of 25 as I believe new cycle spots start low on the disc then gradually appear higher up as the cycle progresses.

Fingers crossed.

Dave

:) I thought they started closer to either pole and then appear towards the equator as the cycle progresses. New cycle spots have the opposite polarity to the old ones but I have no idea if you can tell that visually. Would love to know the truth of this!

3 hours ago, eekeek said:

:) I thought they started closer to either pole and then appear towards the equator as the cycle progresses. New cycle spots have the opposite polarity to the old ones but I have no idea if you can tell that visually. Would love to know the truth of this!

You're probably right, read something recently in AN or S@N but memory is failing with old age, must see if I can find it :grin:

Dave

Yes, they start nearer the poles and gradually get closer to the equator as the cycle progresses. The northern and southern hemisphere spots tend to have opposite polarity and this reverses with each new cycle as mentioned. 

One can find a summary of the day's activity on several sites. I like the one at http://www.solen.info/solar/. This is indeed a cycle 25 spot, but not the first. 

• Like 3

Nice capture, there have been odd reports of cycle 25 spots for quite a while. I guess the previous cycle will keep going for a while, slowly being replaced by the new cycle. We have got a while to wait for the return of some Decent level of activity.

5 hours ago, eekeek said:

Can you tell visually (white light or Ha) what the polarity of the spots is?

I understand a little of Hale's Law and Joy's Law (or think I do! :) ). 

I don't think you can, but as far as I can tell, any 'cycle 24' spots will be nearer the equator, and (as has been said) new 'cycle 25' spots will be nearer the poles.