Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon filters on Jupiter

Hi,

i have a Baader neodymium filter but Jupiter still just appears as mostly a white bright ball. I am working through issues. I got a bit of detail out the other night when I could see faint bands after more patience. Not noticed any details with filter in or out but could moon filters help? Like one of these? I know the planet is low. Have a 10 inch dob and tried with a mixture of Pentax XW, Myriad XWA’s and cheap plossls on a range of magnifications, X 120, 240 and 342. Will be trying eyepieces inbetween soon of around X 170-200.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/baader-neutral-density-moon-filters.html

Edited by MSammon

I find the Neodymium quite effective on Jupiter, and tend to leave it in for most targets from home as it just knocks the LP back a bit.

I guess something like a variable polariser might be worth a go to tune the brightness to your liking.

• Like 1

Over the years I've been observing I've tried a variety of filters on Jupiter including Tele Vue's rather expensive Planetary Filter but I didn't find that they added anything to the view for me.

Time spent at the eyepiece seems to be (for me at least) the best way to tease more detail from the planet. Observing the planet in twilight also delivers noticeable improvements in the contrast of the various features. Some of my best views of the giant planet have come when there was a fair amount of light still in the sky.

• Like 2

The very first filter I used on Jupiter was a cheap Moon filter that came with my 130mm newt. It did help bring out the equatorial belts for me though it gave everything a green tint. Since then I’ve tried quite a few different filters including a light blue (82A), Baader Contrast Booster and Baader Neodymium. The Neodymium is my preferred filter though I do regularly observe Jupiter with no filter too. I’m also using a 10” dob. I nearly always using orthos as I find these give better contrast and sharpness to wider field eyepieces. The narrow FOV and short eye relief can be challenging though. I’d be surprised if your Pentax XWs weren’t up to the job though. I know John rates them very highly. Magnification wise, I find myself most frequently using a 9mm eyepiece to give me 133x magnification. This is mostly due to Jupiter being so low often resulting in the seeing being quite poor.

I think Stu’s suggestion of a variable polariser is a good one. I remember doing this myself before I settled on the Neodymium as my preferred filter. 

There’s a nice guide here on use of coloured filters on the planets

https://agenaastro.com/choosing-a-color-planetary-filter.html

• Like 1

I would definitely keep the neodymium filter in as it increases the contrast in my experience. I think a lot of the problem is likely to be with the low position of Jupiter in the sky. Turbulent atmosphere will remove detail, more so with a larger aperture and by pushing the magnification too high, which I expect you have done with your 240x (maybe) and 342x (definitely) combinations. 120x is a bit on the low side for planetary but I think you should expect to see two clear bands across the planet at this magnification. I would also check your collimation as this can also have an effect on the detail you can see.

I have an 8" dob and observed Jupiter for a short while the other night using my Pentax XWs. The atmosphere was definitely the limiting factor with regards to the amount of detail visible.

• Like 2

Since Jupiter has been low down I've found my smaller aperture refractors have delivered better sharpness and contrast than my big 12 inch dob. When it's high in the sky again the dob will shine :smiley:

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, John said:

Since Jupiter has been low down I've found my smaller aperture refractors have delivered better sharpness and contrast than my big 12 inch dob. When it's high in the sky again the dob will shine :smiley:

John I’ve been wondering that too and tempted to buy a cheap refractor like an Evostar 90 just to see the difference. Why would this be?

Edited by MSammon

I've never found the need to use filters on planets. I've seen Joop in scopes from 90-200mm.

All 4 bands visible. Ive never seen the GRS though. I like wide field views. Then again, I've never tried to observe the GRS.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

In larger aperture scopes (above 100mm) the Wratten #8 is very good in pulling detail from Jupiter & Mars plus correcting CA in big Frac's. That said you will have to expect a yellow hue, if you don't mind this the results are fantastic!. 

I have managed (not this year) 4/5 belts, GRS, Occultations & transits in the 200P without a filter and super sharp!, but that's back in the days of height in the sky!. The small APO refractor's are really showing off what they can do on planets right now. I personally feel planet observing would have been a true wash out through 2018 & 19 with out them.

If you are looking for a small refractor seriously look towards an APO 70mm - 100mm if budget allows!.

Best Rob

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, MSammon said:

John I’ve been wondering that too and tempted to buy a cheap refractor like an Evostar 90 just to see the difference. Why would this be?

I would not opt for an achro scope for planetary. Something like a 100ED would be a good option.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MSammon said:

I’ll keep a look out second hand. Thanks. I was thinking a cheap achro might be okay if it’s a high focul ratio like F10. 

True enough. Personally I would go for something like a Tal 100RS or one of the 102mm f11 clones such as Lyra Optics or Altair Astro which will give good results.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

True enough. Personally I would go for something like a Tal 100RS or one of the 102mm f11 clones such as Lyra Optics or Altair Astro which will give good results.

Or this Tal on the Bay, must admit I have seen them cheaper second hand.

BC6377A7-BDD2-415B-A337-3AE569D135AD.png

I think a moon filter is worth trying, but be sure to give it a chance and don't immediately write it off if you see no immediate massive improvement.

I've also found colour filters useful, I've used yellow, light blue, and also my solar continuum filter (green).

Neither really... The moon filter dims the image but it will turn it green, a true neutral density filter only dims then image but doesn't ange the color.

The neodymium filter is very useful form picking out the fine detail on, for example, Jupiter... I love this filter when observing planets...

Another filter i use is the baader contrast booster stacked with the neodymium filter... Those two together really do improve the view... The color is slightly altered but that because the neodymium filter attempt to block orange skyglow.

• Like 1

On 23/06/2019 at 22:30, MSammon said:

I used a moon filter in Jupiter last week and all it did was make the planet less bright. So I suppose you could say it worked, but the effect was minimal. 

Cheers

• Like 1

On 24/06/2019 at 20:35, jock1958 said:

Bit like this one on Gumtree?

5B46AF50-C0DF-4C0D-AB03-981C7B352154.png

I have ED80 on EQ5pro mount

Find it easy to transport, and store

I have not tried lunar filter on Jupiter, have used red and yellow, and both bring out the red spot, 

The attached pic taken at recent solar day with my club

Was setup park, foreshore, and invited members of the public, to view as well, who were walking pass

John

Skywatcher ED80.jpg