Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Double transit and shadow transit - Wed am

For the early birds, there is a nice double transit of Ganymede and Io and their shadows early on Wednesday morning around 02:00 am, when Jupiter will be about 15 degrees above the horizon (S of GB). Current weather forecast has a clear spell about then, if you believe weather forecasts.....

Simulated view (SkySafari) below

Chris

Screenshot_2019-06-03-07-27-36.png

Edited by chiltonstar
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Plenty of action to come:

GRS transitting at about 01:45 tonight/tomorrow morning.

DOUBLE TRANSIT 02:00 am tomorrow night/wed morning. 

Paul

Edited by Paul73
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Plenty of action to come:

GRS transitting at about 01:45 tonight/tomorrow morning.

DOUBLE TRANSIT 02:00 am tomorrow night/wed morning. 

Paul

One of the amazing things about Jupiter - there's always plenty of action!

Chris

16 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

Trouble is, you don't know if it's clear until you've got up........

Chris

Too true! Guess I'll get setup then set an alarm for 1.30 to check. I have work the next day so will be a bit of a challenge!

Some clear sky forecast here for the period of the double transit, but every time the Met Office has forecast clear sky recently they've changed their minds at the last minute, so I'm not entirely hopeful.  We'll just have to see.

James

Getting only about 1 to 3 nights a month here this spring due to clouds but if its clear I 'll likely see it as I'm an early bird or more of an all night owl, have yet to see transits via my new cameras and the laptop or planets for that matter and suspect it will be a bit of fun...

Despite a very unfavourable weather forecast, I managed to observe part of the transits of Io and Ganymede and their shadows across Jupiter this morning through gaps and thinner clouds in rather threatening cloud cover and the odd spot of rain in the wind.

At about 1.10 am there looked to be a few small mostly clear patches low in the SE.  Went out with the SW 72ED and had views from 1.25 am to 2.10 am when the cloud cover finally beat me.  I used a Baader Mk111 zoom and Baader x2.25 barow giving x39 to x118.  I adjusted the mag as the seeing varied.  x118 was really at the top limit for the conditions.

Seeing not good but there were some better moments when both shadows were visible at the same time.  Ganymede was always easier to see as it was in or near to the NPR while Io was moving along the prominent NEB.  The latter bing much darker than the NPR of course.  I never saw any of the satellites themselves with any certainty, due in part to the seeing but also as I was only using the 72ED.  If I’d known I was going to have had such a long window of opportunity I would have taken the 120ED out – when I went out with the scope I was only expecting to get a few glimpses at the most if I was lucky.  Not complaining though, I had some very nice and unexpected views  Early on Io was just off the disc and the shadow just on, with Ganymede’s shadow prominent moving toward the CM.  I also managed a brief, but nice, view of Saturn at one time further to the E of Jupiter.

I was very pleased to have the views I did.
  • Like 5

Under clear sky, I spent some time earlier in the evening, collimating the Dob to near perfection.

Set the alarm. Went to sleep. Woke up to ......cloud!!!

Surprised? No.

Disheartened? Never!

Glad that someone got it. And, my stars will be pin sharp next outting.

Paul

• Like 4

I like your enthusiasm Paul, it's nice to hear someone with a positive outlook.  Over the years I've found that as in most things, what you get out of astronomy is proportional to what you put into it.   You're enthusiasm and tenacity will be justly rewarded in the long term :smile:.

• Like 1