Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power Tank for Celestron AVX Mount

Now that I have my new AVX Mount all set up, I realized that I have no way to power it up! Apparently, I need a power tank of some sort. The Mount came with a cigarette lighter cable but I’m no where near my car! Any suggestions??

3CA13EB8-6544-4B2B-80C4-7D7C69A5AB25.jpeg

Of you by chance have or have access to a deep cycle marine battery, they are fantastic for scope power supply, alligator to female cigarette plugs are a few dollars, aside from that, a regular power tank is great also. These sort of power supply units are usually kept in cars for boosting, I prefer a regular car battery (not my own car battery, a separate one just for my scope) kept in my trunk and charged occasionally with a trickle charger as a designated scope supply. I use a deep cycle marine battery I ran into for free, they are indestructible and last forever but if bought new they are pricey.

B5FAC33B-7EEC-4E25-9F2C-18D375CBE79B.jpeg

LifePo4 is much better than old fashioned lead acid or gel cell as it is a fraction of the weight and size and it is much safer than lithium batteries as there is no risk of explosion or fire if damaged. Unfortunately this does mean they are a ot more expensive. 

The Celestron  power tank linked to has a 13ah battery which will last a long tome. The 17 hour mentioned just refers to the estimated time it will power the mount.

I use some higher capacity LifePo4 batteries but I allready have a couple bought for another use.

Archived