Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anybody experiencing loss of contact between mount and power supply?

I have a 2014 Atlas EQG (EQ6) mount and i am experiencing loss of power supply when slewing fast.

Connector is a simple 5,5mm outside/2.1mm inside jack.

Anybody else having these issues? Solutions? I am thinking about fixing the power cord with a velcro strap...

Clear skies!

1 hour ago, uhb1966 said:

Connector is a simple 5,5mm outside/2.1mm inside jack.

These connectors are a regular cause of problems on various mounts. Two tips: expand the split centre contact slightly with a craft knife to give firmer contact. Use a cable tie or similar to restrain the cable near the connector. 

• Thanks 1

I just filled the gap between it and the data cable with a couple little strips of rubber, a short one at the end where the power cable narrows and a couple zip ties secured it.

Now it plugs in with the data cable and the screws secure it.

Not a great pic, its heavily zoomed in from a wider angle, but you can get the idea, fill the gap and tie the 2 together, never had a problem ... theres fate tempted 🙄

Screenshot_20231018-111652_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f70cd9137afd084b55cbbebbe9bdb0eb.jpg

• Thanks 1

These comments are valid for a lot of mounts.
There are a lot of threads on SGL talking about mount power connector problems.

We have to remember that these DC connectors are the definition of cheap and cheerful.

The contacts are not precious metal plated. Contact pressure is not well controlled at manufacture.
After a few years what bit of bright plating they did have has worn away - or corroded.
The spring contact pressure may well have relaxed.
Then the very flexible power cable may have broken strands inside the (by now hardened) PVC sleeve.
A new (quality not cheapest) power lead is plug and play, and a few quid.
If you have the soldering skills, replacing the PCB connector by new will give a good solution.

If you are going to the bother of dismantling the mount to replace the power connector, consider an alternative connector type.
Something with proper strain relief and good contact materials.
Just add (thin) wires to the PCB running to your new connector somewhere on the mount housing. No need to desolder the old connector.

HTH, David.

• Thanks 1