Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p_winners.thumb.jpg.b3d48fd93cbd17bff31f578b27cc6f0d.jpg

Now that I have my new AVX Mount all set up, I realized that I have no way to power it up! Apparently, I need a power tank of some sort. The Mount came with a cigarette lighter cable but I’m no where near my car! Any suggestions??

3CA13EB8-6544-4B2B-80C4-7D7C69A5AB25.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Of you by chance have or have access to a deep cycle marine battery, they are fantastic for scope power supply, alligator to female cigarette plugs are a few dollars, aside from that, a regular power tank is great also. These sort of power supply units are usually kept in cars for boosting, I prefer a regular car battery (not my own car battery, a separate one just for my scope) kept in my trunk and charged occasionally with a trickle charger as a designated scope supply. I use a deep cycle marine battery I ran into for free, they are indestructible and last forever but if bought new they are pricey.

B5FAC33B-7EEC-4E25-9F2C-18D375CBE79B.jpeg

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 1

Greg

First of all welcome from Land Down

I use car jump start pack to power my EQ5pro

Lasts up to a week at Astrofests

John

jump start pack.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

LifePo4 is much better than old fashioned lead acid or gel cell as it is a fraction of the weight and size and it is much safer than lithium batteries as there is no risk of explosion or fire if damaged. Unfortunately this does mean they are a ot more expensive. 

The Celestron  power tank linked to has a 13ah battery which will last a long tome. The 17 hour mentioned just refers to the estimated time it will power the mount.

I use some higher capacity LifePo4 batteries but I allready have a couple bought for another use.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By bottletopburly
      Decided to put  cooling fans on my newtonians a 200pds and a 130pds ,used a 120mm on the 200 and a 80mm on the 130pds ,i used, Be Quite silent Wings2 fans they  use rifle bearings and are so quite German made, i did the 200 first and was impressed with this make so ordered the same make for the 130 pds it comes with a lead with four wires but only needed neg ang pos so snipped other two out ,  made a disc from plastic and cut out around collimation screws on primary then used velcro to attach to OTA  fitted a 2.1mm  dc socket on to the disc then bought a usb lead  to 2.1mm barrel though i may fit another 2.1mm socket on my power box and use 12v either way it works ,i used a dimmer on the 200pds but it doesnt need it and wouldn't use it again but its fitted now so will leave in place. 

• By DeepSkyMan
      Over the past couple of months have been putting together the components to build my own 12v  Power Tank.  Finally got around to putting it all together.  Not really being a DIY person, this was a bit of a leap into the unknown for me, anyway it’s all put together now and works a treat.  Thought I’d share my experience just in case there is someone out there thinking about a similar exercise, but a bit concerned about proceeding.  Here’s the list of components:
      Maplin heavy duty flight case - https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/large-high-impact-case-with-pre-cut-foam-interior-n14gr - £49.99
      Bluesea Fusebox . https://seamarknunn.com/acatalog/fuse-block-screw-terminal-blade-6-way-4695.html - £46.35
      Dual 12v Power Interface Panels with USB and voltmeter x2. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253302906460 - £30.36
      LED Blade fuses - 
                 3A x 4 £3.96
                 7.5A x 4 £ 6.78
      In-line LED fuse holders x 2 - £11.38
      10A Twin core power cable (3 metres) £7.47
      8A Rated crimp connectors (male and female) - £5.00 
      Total Cost - £ 161.29
      Connecting everything together was actually quite simple in the end, all that was required was to crimp the wiring together and connect the leads to the fuse box and the various device interfaces, ensuring of course that the live and earth wiring is correctly connected.
      To add to the build I already had 2 10ah Deben Tracer LiPo batteries with power leads which have supplied my field power for the past 4 years these retail at £149.99 bringing the total cost of the power tank to £311.28.  This might be viewed as a considerable outlay for power, however my view is that it’s money well spent.  My power is now contained in a waterproof, easily transportable container and greatly simplifies my setup and tear down procedure when in the field.  The proof of course as they say is ‘in the pudding’.  I used the unit for the first time last weekend and it delivered just as expected.  I’ve attached a couple of pics one showing the internal layout and another showing the unit connected up, supplying power to my dew controller, WiFi and Sphinx SXW Mount/Starbook.

• By kbrown
      Got tired of the mess of cables and loose devices I had to always put together and dismantle after each astrophotography session so I figured I'd do something about it. This tray will sit nicely under the tripod and provide a hub for everything including Fused Power, Raspberry Pi, USB Hub, GPS, Dew Heaters, Long Range WiFi etc...
      First version will be really crude as I need to have this working in less than a week as I'm going on a holiday taking my astro gear with me.

• By Myrialejean
      Someone a while back, most likely on a different site, was asking about the current draw of their mount so that they could factor it in.
      Anyway, I decided to measure mine out of pure curiosity  so here's my readings in case they are of any use whatsoever to anyone else...
      CGEM DX + StarSense HC + StarSense Camera + Celestron GPS
      (Measured using a regulated 12v supply and multi-meter)
      Normal RA tracking: 470ma max (5.56W)
      Full speed RA+DEC slew: 1550ma max (18.6W)
      I suspect there is also a momentary surge as the motors start as the power supply needed to be set to give up to 3A otherwise it cut the voltage on a full speed slew and the motor controller objected (although the hand controller was fine as it regulates down to 5v or so anyway I suspect).  This wasn't picked up by the meter so it wasn't sustained.
      Rich.
    • By carlosgib
      Hi, although I do not have an ASA mount (actually the 10Micron), my question is based if I can use for example a ASA Power Supply Unit 12V - 21A   throughout to power cameras, fw, dewheaters etc, separate to the mount. And if so, do I need to split the main output cable to connect to each unit. 

Normally , and in a generals context, a CCD works up to 1.5-2A, Filterwheel around that level of amps like the focuser and guide camera, its correct to say that we need to add all these amps of all the units I am using, and take into consideration that the total amp-age does not surpass the power supply amps.

Thanks 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.