Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Obsy for the rich and famous

gorann

1 hour ago, SIDO said:

take plenty of money I think the drinks may be pricey

Isn't this supposed to be a private dwelling? I am Dutch, but when I got to a private party, I don't expect to go that way. (If you catch my drift.) I expect free drinks and free views.

(Oh @gorann, what a nice thread you started.)

It's just a ploy to part the fool from his money, a toy for a wealthy twit, you'd be better off with a superyacht to get to dark skies and and a deckchair and stabilised binos to watch the stars when the captain turns the lights out for you. Now where's my Euromillions ticket...

2 minutes ago, dunc said:

It's just a ploy to part the fool from his money, a toy for a wealthy twit, you'd be better off with a superyacht to get to dark skies and and a deckchair and stabilised binos to watch the stars when the captain turns the lights out for you. Now where's my Euromillions ticket...

I bet you there is already some twit that has put an observatory on to the top of his super yacht?.

15 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Isn't this supposed to be a private dwelling? I am Dutch, but when I got to a private party, I don't expect to go that way. (If you catch my drift.) I expect free drinks and free views.

(Oh @gorann, what a nice thread you started.)

Thanks Wim, yes ignorance and stupidity combined with wealth is apparently a popular subject!

On 21/04/2019 at 22:13, gorann said:

I just started on building a second obsy next to the old one, so I can double my efforts on the few clear nights I get. Thought it could be considered a bit extravagant but then I found this one:

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/style/article/1694189/super-deluxe-home-observatory#&gid=1&pid=1

By the way, this is what my second obsy looks like right now (with the first one in the background).

Skärmavbild 2019-04-23 kl. 20.48.51.png

This one does not look like a Man's Cave at all!!! 

And where should the main lab go? To collimate, to solder AutoFocuser... drill additional holes for mounting plates and etc? :)

no, thanks.... not for me...
I am way too lazy to clean 3 floors on a weekly basis....

P.S. 
How to get to the second and the third floor? 
I have not noticed any teleporting device in the picture...

2 hours ago, RolandKol said:

P.S
How to get to the second and the third floor? 
I have not noticed any teleporting device in the picture...

That's in the other half of the cutout.

2 hours ago, RolandKol said:

And where should the main lab go? To collimate, to solder AutoFocuser... drill additional holes for mounting plates and etc?

Outsourcing. ?

34 minutes ago, bingevader said:

In fact, not rich, just enough for a little windmill conversion, is that asking too much?! :D

Depends on the conversion. ?

3 hours ago, RolandKol said:

And where should the main lab go? To collimate

For the kind of person who can afford this obsy, a Cheshire collimator is a person from Cheshire who collimates the scope. No need for extra space.

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Gina said:

It's a cross-section drawing except for the dome.  Well, I say "drawing" with tongue in cheek!  More a sort of "artist's impression" by a failed artist.  The dome isn't over the telescope so no views would be available (or very restricted).

I know its a cross section. I did mechanical and technical drawing in school.

Hated it.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Haha 1

I dident give it the credit of a cross section drawing, like Gina's failed artist description best so far.

My obsy consists of a table some chairs several scopes, cameras computers and other bits all on wheels now newly conserved in garage, completely all utilitarian of course but I do understand the need for an in ground pool and a couple Jaguars nearby...I have built in bar and senic over look close by too ?

So I guess I'm not so innocent on the luxury side of things, intresting to know what others posting here have nearby their observatories...

Edited by SIDO
  • Like 1

Guest chaz2b

Perhaps the indulgence of “ up periscope “ is how the scope will get to a better elevated position, then there will be the very expensive camera controlled from the downstairs to the non Astro, cigar swallowing wine spilling hordes he’ll call friends. “ look chaps....I can see ur...anus ...haw haw haw! “

Go anywhere close to my scopes with cigar smoke, and I’ll guarantee you’ll get to see your an#s!

chaz

• 3 weeks later...

Just found another one - here the scope seems a bit small for the setting and you need to have a giraffe neck for viewing - but you could bring your friends around comfortably seated or laying down while admiring your acrobatic skills......

7ba7f66de7f82d45b1e16497b07ddcb4.jpg

Edited by gorann

Good luck with your built...

the HK$170m obsy seems impractical... would distract from astronomy.... and the wine cellar ??? the more wine you drink the more stars you see?? why not include spirits, he might see an alien or two.... seems like a compensation for something move...

I love the way they've got a diagonal in the back of the OTA in that observatory, with the eyepiece pointing upwards.  You'd have more chance of seeing something through the finder :)

James

5 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I love the way they've got a diagonal in the back of the OTA in that observatory, with the eyepiece pointing upwards.  You'd have more chance of seeing something through the finder :)

James

The pier can be lowered. If you lower it to eyelevel, the only area of sky you can point it at and see something is zenith. In that position the diagonal makes perfect sense. In short, the diagonal compensates for a poor obsy design.