Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Are there capture software for multiple cameras?

So far I have used separate laptops for my cameras when I have run a double rig. I wonder if there is a possibility to run more than one imaging camera on a single laptop. The program that came with my two ASI cameras (ASICAP) will probably only run one camera. In addition, I also have an ATIK camera (460EX) and with my new mount (Mesu 200) I could put three scopes on the mount, so three cameras. Ideally, I would like to do the image capture on one computer. I do not mind to run the mount and guiding on another laptop (as I do now).

Any suggestions how to do it?

Edited by gorann

3 minutes ago, wetwalker said:

Hi, I run two instances of Sharpcap pro on the laptop running 2 cameras with no problems

Ian

Thanks for the response Ian. What cameras are you using?

10 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

SGPro allows you to run two instances..  so you can control mount guiding camera with one instance and another camera with the other..  all on one laptop, as I do..

Dave

Thanks Dave. I am a Mac person that struggle a bit with Windows terms. Is an "instance" a separate and independent window of the program? If I get you right you run the guiding cam and mount one one and the imaging camera on another "instance". That is what I do now although on two separate computers with the imaging on one of them (a Mac) and the mount and guiding on a Win machine. But could you run 2-3 imaging cameras on one computer with 2-3 "inastances". I am fine with using two laptops.

Edited by gorann

Hi Goran..  I guess so, two windows each running SGPro, one, the main one, connected to the mount, CdeC, PHD2, focuser and the imaging camera on the Esprit150, the other to the imaging camera and focuser on the Esprit100. PHD2 also running and connected to guide cam and mount. The main one controls all the dithering, meridian flip, target plate solve.. 

HTH

Dave

Edited by Laurin Dave
  • Thanks 1

I've used two QSI683s in 2 instances of Maxim, the fly in the ointment is anything using ASCOM drivers as you can't run 2 identical ASOM drivers even in 2 instances of the same software.

Dave

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

the fly in the ointment is anything using ASCOM drivers as you can't run 2 identical ASOM drivers even in 2 instances of the same software.

I don't think that's strictly speaking true, it depends on the ascom driver. The Moravian driver for example is written so that you can specify the serial number of the camera in the ascom settings and will allow you to use the same driver for two cameras simultaneously. Other vendors I think provide two identical drivers with different names which can be installed side by side and also let you use two cameras of the same type simultaneously.

Edited by AngryDonkey
Spelling

1 hour ago, jjosefsen said:

NINA has some basic functionality for running multiple cameras. In short it has synchronized dithering, and I think it will support x amount of cameras..

Ooh! Synchronized dither. I like that. :smile: SGP hasn't implemented that yet and so was losing around 1 out of 3 images on the second camera. I tried NINA 64 bit about a month ago (it looks impressive) but the Atik cooling acted strange and the filter wheel wasn't recognized. I tried the 32 bit version which worked with the Atik and filter wheel (some drivers don't work 64 bit) but had a problem with the program suddenly terminating after about 5 minutes. I tried running it several times but it happened each time, generally when clicking on text boxes to enter info.

I'll try again with the latest build to see if it runs OK.

Alan

• Like 1

I’m surprised no one has mentioned APT? This is what I use for synchronised dithering of my 2 ccds with a variety of options to either allow strict or loose activation of the client camera.  It also worked for two 40d cameras and had no problem identifying each one.  It can run any number of cameras too 

Edited by tooth_dr

I have used APT with an 1000D and 1100D simultaneously as well as 1100D and ASI296MC Pro combination, works flawlessly. I look forward to trying NINA to do the same.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Stu Todd said:

Prism will handle all this - https://www.hyperion-astronomy.com/

Absolutely fantastic, comprehensive software. And I don't work for them.

I don't think it does. At least not in a fully automated way. Last time I checked you could run two cameras but not as part of an automated sequence (only if you setup the target manually) which I guess is what everyone is after.

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 17:02, AngryDonkey said:

I don't think it does. At least not in a fully automated way. Last time I checked you could run two cameras but not as part of an automated sequence (only if you setup the target manually) which I guess is what everyone is after.

No you can't control the three cameras in the fully automated route.  This only allows you to use two cameras (guider/main imaging camera).

In the advanced version you can control 3 cameras though. You can setup one as the guider and two as imaging cameras.  You can set a sequence (e.g. LRGB) for each of the imaging cameras and then start them independently whilst guiding, so is a semi-automated sequence but using only piece of software/computer.   You can't use dither though because the sequences aren't linked.

In principle, as it has a scripting language built in to the software you could set up a script that allowed dithering if you are software minded.