Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging with the Samyang 135mm f2

5 minutes ago, AcapulcoRolf said:

As the image came out of Pixinsight untouched by iPad, noise reduction used was MLT and also SCNR

Wow! What a difference! Looks great - you are onto a winning formula and if it works for you stick with it.

I also use MLT-NR on my images with an inverted L mask but dialled back a little to (3.0,0.5,3 : 2.0,0.5,2 : 1.0,0.5,2 : 0.5,1,0.5 ) on the first four of five layers.

Look forward to seeing more images from your setup.

• Like 1

It was a clear night last night. Managed to capture around 7 hours of photons on IC1396 and SH2-129 with the Samyang 135

Initial post processing with no noise reduction yet applied.
Had to discard a few SII subs as dawn approached and the target started to disappear behind my neighbour's roof

Close inspection shows that some tilt remains in my image train
Will hopefully deal with that once my new lens adapter from FLO shows up

With about 5 more night's worth of data yet to be processed from the past couple of weeks, I'm looking forward to the "final" iteration and hope to tease out "the squid" (OU4)

Taken 17th/18th October 2022 from my back garden

🎯IC1396 and SH2-129
🔭 Samyang 135mm @f/2.6
📸 ZWO ASI294MM Pro
🔭 Celestron AVX
🔘SII 40x180s 125/30
🔘Ha 49x180s 125/30
🔘OIII 49x180s 125/30

IC 1396 and SH2-129_Channel_Combo_v2.jpg

• Like 8

On 18/10/2022 at 13:53, AcapulcoRolf said:

Close inspection shows that some tilt remains in my image train
Will hopefully deal with that once my new lens adapter from FLO shows up

Yeah, there are some issues as you go toward the edges... same happens to me despite having replaced the canon mount by the Astro Essentials M48 Adapte, I'm still trying to get the optimal backspace. But... the image looks fantastic! Love it. No need at all to go 1:1 to enjoy it.

Could you please share what SHO filters (brand, diameter, bandwidth) are you using? Thanks a lot :)

After spending most of the day sorting out a calibration issue (thank you @ONIKKINEN) I've had chance to reprocess some data with the right calibration files and man what a difference lol. This is the heart and soul neb, about 8 1/2 hours of data I think. Still learning pixinsight, but definitely happier working with better data. Onwards and upwards!

Heart and Soul V2.png

• Like 6

7 hours ago, aleixandrus said:

Yeah, there are some issues as you go toward the edges... same happens to me despite having replaced the canon mount by the Astro Essentials M48 Adapte, I'm still trying to get the optimal backspace. But... the image looks fantastic! Love it. No need at all to go 1:1 to enjoy it.

Could you please share what SHO filters (brand, diameter, bandwidth) are you using? Thanks a lot :)

Thank you

These are the filters I'm using (see photo). Working out ok so far

I'm  about to also pick up some RGB filters from the same brand

IMG_3695.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Has anyone ever used an OAG on this lens?

Why the need? OAG is more suited for long focal lengths where your guiding needs to better match the imaging scale. I would have thought an OAG prism will take up a lot of the light cone of the small rear aperture of this lens too.

3 minutes ago, Elp said:

Why the need? OAG is more suited for long focal lengths where your guiding needs to better match the imaging scale. I would have thought an OAG prism will take up a lot of the light cone of the small rear aperture of this lens too.

50 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Has anyone ever used an OAG on this lens?

"lens + oag + filter drawer + camera", the TS Optics OAG is only 9mm thick so it could 'work' in theory.

Most likely it depends on the sensor size of the main imaging camera and if prism shadow can be hidden/left out of the FOV and etc.

P.S.

I guess the idea is not to improve the guiding itself, - just make the setup even more portable.

Edited by RolandKol

Understand, depends on the mounting method too I suppose. I find the 30mm F4 guidescope is small enough to not be a burden, you can just about make it out in between the two cameras here:

Finally a few clear nights recently and the chance to hook up the Samyang 135 again.  This is with the Samyang 135 @ ~F2.6 (49mm step down ring).  Both processed in PixInsight.

Alongside the ASI 533MM - 4h Ha, 2.5h OIII, 1h SII.  NGC 7822.

NGC7822-SHO.thumb.jpg.8d234d5133d6471bf56edaea5a761356.jpg

A quick 2h on M31 with the ASI 533MC (as my 533MM had to go back for a look by the retailer)

image.thumb.jpeg.c2b5ec1ee1753f9a3adf2065c988d44b.jpeg

The Samyang punching above its weight again - it always puts a smile on my face (once the frown of spacing with a camera change has subsided 😅)

Thanks for looking.

Edited by geeklee
Updated M31
  • Like 15

Great work Lee. Love the Skull and the centre of the Little Rosette - that little burst of blue.

Looks like you've got the spacing close to spot on judging by the star shapes; it is so worth the time spent, effort and perseverance to get it right.

Adrian

• Thanks 1

On 23/10/2022 at 11:30, Gonzo said:

The ZWO OAG fits nicely, untested as my Player-one Uranus-c hasn't arrived yet (next week).

IMG_6032.JPG

IMG_6031.JPG

Where do you place the filter in this imaging train? Looks nice and tidy though!

• 2 weeks later...

TS-Optics T2 Thread 360° Rotation and Quick Changer now installed

I removed the 16.5mm ZWO M42M-M48F spacer that I had in place and replaced it with 
TS-Optics T2 Thread 360° Rotation and Quick Changer and
TS-Optics Adaptor from M48x0,75 to T2 
5mm T2-T2 spacer

I've got Baader spacers in place to get me to 44.5mm
Once the weather clears and I can get out into the field then I'll know for sure how far I'm out on spacing and then add/remove spacers as needed

IMG_3856.JPEG

IMG_3859.JPEG

IMG_3860.JPEG

IMG_3855.JPEG

• Like 2

Those PlayerOne cameras look very neat indeed! And I read that some cooled ones are coming soon. I would have loved to get one, but since I'm using an ASIAIR, I'm stuck with ZWO - which is totally fine, I don't think there's much difference between all those astro cameras anyway. Although the cooled IMX571 from PlayerOne seems to have a clever tilt plate that allows you to adjust tilt from the back, unlike other manufacturers... that is smart!

Sam was out again last night! I wanted to test my new NB filters, despite the Moon being close to most nebulae. Let's see what I can get out of the 7.5 hours worth of Ha and OIII!

EB2591B1-2EB9-4919-8C51-C9EFCDE2FEEE.thumb.png.26cd08b67e6daa4eacd6926d6d78dd54.png

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Space Oddities said:

Here is a first HOO version, without any dark... By mistake I selected BIN3 when I created the darks, so I now I have to do them again...

The color balance is a bit off and I think I was too aggressive on the curves, but let's see what version 2 brings :)

Love it! May I ask which filters are you using? Thanks :)