SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Imaging with the Samyang 135mm f2

I've been had by the tentacles.     

Samyang 135mm Vs The Squid

Five nights over 3 weeks,  waxing and waning Moon,  skitty cloud.... various levels of transparency ......   1 Hour Ha   (ok)  .... 16 hours O3 ( not enough !!)

O3 exposures up to 10 minutes each as well....    

It beckons......

313868923_Ha-OIIIBiColorImage.jpg.dc72b30a0421fea86d6d69bdb02d95b7.jpg

Camera = Atik 414ex mono @-20'C

I'm wondering if the Samyang  ( under my suburban skies ) has enough light grasp to bring the creature out ?

Anybody else had success with our slippery foe from anywhere other than the Atacama ??

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Craney said:

I've been had by the tentacles.     

Samyang 135mm Vs The Squid

Five nights over 3 weeks,  waxing and waning Moon,  skitty cloud.... various levels of transparency ......   1 Hour Ha   (ok)  .... 16 hours O3 ( not enough !!)

O3 exposures up to 10 minutes each as well....    

It beckons......

313868923_Ha-OIIIBiColorImage.jpg.dc72b30a0421fea86d6d69bdb02d95b7.jpg

Camera = Atik 414ex mono @-20'C

I'm wondering if the Samyang  ( under my suburban skies ) has enough light grasp to bring the creature out ?

Anybody else had success with our slippery foe from anywhere other than the Atacama ??

well done - posted my own a few weeks back - yup it is an ellusive squid indeed.

• Like 1

For those of you using the Samyang with an APS-C sensor (2600, 268 etc), what are you using to do your plate solving in NINA? ASTAP keeps telling me I need to use the V17 as the field of view is so big, but that's what I have installed.

Phil

9 hours ago, Phillyo said:

For those of you using the Samyang with an APS-C sensor (2600, 268 etc), what are you using to do your plate solving in NINA? ASTAP keeps telling me I need to use the V17 as the field of view is so big, but that's what I have installed.

Phil

In NINA, I use ASTAP. Told NINA focal length is 129mm rather than 135mm as that’s what astrometry.net said it was when I uploaded a sub. Have also been able to plate solve using ASPS as a standalone again inputting 129mm and the pixel size of the camera into settings. ASPS usually takes 30-40 seconds whereas ASTAP takes just a few seconds. Only issue is with narrowband filters but am using a parfocal glass filter to get round this. Think I downloaded the h18 sky survey for ASTAP but not 100% sure.  With ASPS the wizard tells you what to download by talking to astrometry.met. 

Edited by woldsman
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, woldsman said:

In NINA, I use ASTAP. Told NINA focal length is 129mm rather than 125mm as that’s what astrometry.net said it was when I uploaded a sub. Have also been able to plate solve using ASPS as a standalone again inputting 129mm and the pixel size of the camera into settings. ASPS usually takes 30-40 seconds whereas ASTAP takes just a few seconds. Only issue is with narrowband filters but am using a parfocal glass filter to get round this. Think I downloaded the h18 sky survey for ASTAP but not 100% sure.  With ASPS the wizard tells you what to download by talking to astrometry.met. 

Thank you. I reinstalled the V17 and it seems to be working ok now. Not sure what happened there!

• Like 1

I use ASTAP through NINA (but configuring ASTAP independently). I use the SW Star Adventurer tracker and, as it has no GoTo, plate solving allows me to considerably speed up locating objects in the sky (set in NINA telescope as 'simulator', connect Stellarium with 'simulator' using ASCOM, take picture, blind solve, sync mount, Stellarium updates automatically showing framing with Oculars plugin). The configuration I use for my Samyang 135 + ASI183MM Pro is the following. I have many issues with the 'Alignment' tab until I set the search radius and FoV but now it works very well with the H18 database (the W17 never worked for me).

1.thumb.jpg.0a44d5f5e2011b0e97760943b7f457c8.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.30b46a50114679e48f2140a77ff35471.jpg

Edited by aleixandrus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So got the 135 lens... seems really solid and well made.

It's first light tonight and this is a single pic of the preview on asiair. I using the lens at 2.8 I believe... why does one side (left) of the lens have the darker patch... is this normal or have I got a dud???

20220929_195221.jpg

1 hour ago, beamer3.6m said:

have I got a dud

Stars look odd, are you definitely using the ef mount lens? I suppose it wouldn't fit otherwise.... And you haven't got any stray light hitting the lens in that image? At F2.8 it should be all good.

Edited by Elp

2 hours ago, beamer3.6m said:

So got the 135 lens... seems really solid and well made.

It's first light tonight and this is a single pic of the preview on asiair. I using the lens at 2.8 I believe... why does one side (left) of the lens have the darker patch... is this normal or have I got a dud???

20220929_195221.jpg

Hard to tell what’s going on there. Do you have an actual sub or image to post?

Your veil result seems okay, shooting at f2.8 will capture a lot of stars. As people have said because the camera is standard you may struggle to capture the nebulosity of the veil. Try imaging something bright next time like Orion, Pleiades or Andromeda, you should get a decent result.

3 minutes ago, Elp said:

Your veil result seems okay, shooting at f2.8 will capture a lot of stars. As people have said because the camera is standard you may struggle to capture the nebulosity of the veil. Try imaging something bright next time like Orion, Pleiades or Andromeda, you should get a decent result.

Thank you.

It certainly captured a lot of stars!!! I was surprised just how many