Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging with the Samyang 135mm f2

This is a work in progress, and I also posted this in the deep sky forum but as it's with the SY135 I thought I'd upload it here too to show what this awesome little lens is capable of. 

This is a 12 panel mosaic of the Cygnus Region of space, in a 4x3 layout. It's only around 1hour or so of data per panel, so up close it still looks noisy but at this scale it isn't super noticeable. 

Capture details are the SY135 @f3.5, ASI533MC Pro, Antlia ALP-T 5nm dual band filter, EQ6R Pro, ASI120mm guiding. Controlled via NINA, PHD2 and Green Swamp Server. Editing was all done in Pixinsight.

I'd like to keep adding to this, but hopefully my new camera is arriving in the next week so it might have to be finished there and the ASI533 retired and sold on to someone else. 

Thank you all for looking,

Phil. 

4x3 Mosaic.png

• Like 8

20 hours ago, Phillyo said:

This is a work in progress, and I also posted this in the deep sky forum but as it's with the SY135 I thought I'd upload it here too to show what this awesome little lens is capable of. 

This is a 12 panel mosaic of the Cygnus Region of space, in a 4x3 layout. It's only around 1hour or so of data per panel, so up close it still looks noisy but at this scale it isn't super noticeable. 

Capture details are the SY135 @f3.5, ASI533MC Pro, Antlia ALP-T 5nm dual band filter, EQ6R Pro, ASI120mm guiding. Controlled via NINA, PHD2 and Green Swamp Server. Editing was all done in Pixinsight.

I'd like to keep adding to this, but hopefully my new camera is arriving in the next week so it might have to be finished there and the ASI533 retired and sold on to someone else. 

Thank you all for looking,

Phil. 

4x3 Mosaic.png

Nice one. Inspired me to have a go last night.

HSO of some of the same area, shot with asi2600MC and L-extreme

SadirHSOs.thumb.jpeg.58dc6f76d92018386cabeae63fd89b4e.jpegstu

Edited by powerlord
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, powerlord said:

Nice one. Inspired me to have a go last night.

HSO of some of the same area, shot with asi2600MC and L-extreme

SadirHSOs.thumb.jpeg.58dc6f76d92018386cabeae63fd89b4e.jpegstu

That's lovely. I have a Risingcam IMX571 arriving in the next day or two so my field of view should be the same as that. I might redo this mosaic again with the new camera, or perhaps move onto somewhere else. This is a very busy area of space, lots to see!

13 hours ago, Gonzo said:

If one was to buy an APS_C size mono camera for this lens (asking for friend there... 😉), what sort of filters would I be looking for?. In terms of brand/quality and size please.

2" filters would work well and you can just use the drop in filter type unless you wanted to go mono. If mono then you might get away with 1.25" if they are close enough to the sensor. As for brand, the world is your oyster. l-enhance, l-extreme, l-ultimate if you are feeling very rich. IDAS NBX/NBZ, I use the new Antlia ALP-T 5nm filter and it is fantastic. They make a 'fast' version for use with fast systems like this Samyang or a RASA etc.

57 minutes ago, LaGuille said:

Hi guys. 
A question about the weight of your equipment. How much is it ?  (135mm Lens + ASI + guide + autofocuser).
A Neq5 Go To can handle that ? 
Thanks for your answers!

Damien 

Yes, NEQ5 would very comfortably handle this.

My Risingcam IMX571 should be here tomorrow and I was just wondering if anyone has one attached to the SY135 and how they have achieved the correct back focus? The connection is slightly different to the ASI2600 so just making sure I have everything I need.

Phil

46 minutes ago, Phillyo said:

2" filters would work well and you can just use the drop in filter type unless you wanted to go mono. If mono then you might get away with 1.25" if they are close enough to the sensor. As for brand, the world is your oyster. l-enhance, l-extreme, l-ultimate if you are feeling very rich. IDAS NBX/NBZ, I use the new Antlia ALP-T 5nm filter and it is fantastic. They make a 'fast' version for use with fast systems like this Samyang or a RASA etc.

yes I've been reading about the distance between the filter and sensor, a 1,25" would introduce vignetting if it's not super close.

And mono is probably the way to go...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gonzo said:

yes I've been reading about the distance between the filter and sensor, a 1,25" would introduce vignetting if it's not super close.

And mono is probably the way to go...

If you're going mono then 1.25" filters are a cheaper option if nothing else. They will introduce some vignetting, but I think it should be correctable via flats? I'd definitely do some more research and not just trust me word on it though as I shoot with a 2" filter with a 533 sensor so I have no first hand experience to go on.

7 hours ago, Al_N said:

I finally have something to contribute to this thread SH2-170 and SH2-171. I really like this lens.

NGC7822_5.jpg

very nice. what camera did you use ? I've only imaged bits of this before, you've inspired me to try my 135mm on it.

stu

8 hours ago, powerlord said:

very nice. what camera did you use ? I've only imaged bits of this before, you've inspired me to try my 135mm on it.

stu

I used a QHY183m and Optolong 7nm filters from a Bortle 5-6 site. About 6 hrs per filter for 18.75 total integration.

Al

Edited by Al_N
added total exposure time
  • Like 1

Tbh if you don't have the means of imaging with a telescope or if you have a compatible DSLR or spare astro camera you should just buy this lens, it's that good. You can save a considerable percentage if buying used and can also utilise the video version which is what I have.

9 hours ago, Elp said:

Tbh if you don't have the means of imaging with a telescope or if you have a compatible DSLR or spare astro camera you should just buy this lens, it's that good. You can save a considerable percentage if buying used and can also utilise the video version which is what I have.

whats the video version ? not heard of that and a search didn't show anything that helped.

stu

The video versions are measured in T stops which is an actual measurement of the light transmission coming out of the back of the lens. This way when doing video any switch in lenses or using the same lens will result in the same or close recording of light exposure between footage. An f stop is only a ratio calculation.

• Thanks 1