Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Waiting the new Mesu200 (mk2?)

carballada

12 hours ago, MakeItSo said:

What do you think the imaging capacity realistically is for this mount -  I know its rated for 100kg and some reviews of the Mark I have suggested 75kg for imaging. What do you think about this?

Soon I will give some info about the results with 40kg....

• Like 1

On 12/08/2019 at 13:09, Jonk said:

Yes, the same method also applies to a newtonian mirror which I have done countless times - I was more interested in seeing drift aligment using 3 bolts, as that is likely to be what I end up having.

I don't plan on using a polemaster and have tried a lot of software PA routines, but for me, nothing beats pure analogue drift aligment without software errors to worry about.

Vlaiv is right, the backlash reading seams odd (1/4 of a second?), so unless you have slippage, that could be software not telling the truth, or maybe the motors aren't responding quick enough to the command?

Good luck with your dual rig tests, I'll be watching for the report!

I did the fine polar alignment and I found better results using the Phd2 drift alignment.

The alignment with the drift procedure on Phd2 was more easy than expected.

On the first step Phd2 ask you to move the Azimuth, in this case you need to use the two lower bolts on the wedge. (no difficult here, is very similar to other mount)

on second step Phd2 ask you to move the Altitude alignment, in this case you need to adjust the top bolt and in this case you have the Azimuth ok and practically don't move that axis when you adjust the Altitude! 

It was necessary to do several iterations, of course, like with any other mount, but the result was really precise.

spacer.png

and validated with the wizard (polar error 0.0 after 316s), also on this position the backlash was better (40ms)...

spacer.png

and some drift on RA (about -3 arc-sec/min) that I will correct on the controller at some point.

Regarding Sharpcap... the result was worst than with Polemaster and the Phd2 wizard reveals more that 1arc-minute error. Basically your are right, seems better the Phd2 drift procedure and I could say than is easy with the three bolts.

Edited by carballada
  • Like 2

Looks like you have a great polar alignment there.

Regarding the Backlash, my understanding is that because its friction drive, the 'Measure Declination Backlash' should be unticked. Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong. 

I agree about PHD2 drift alignment, I found it very easy to use. For me, maybe one hour in total, to get as I wanted, but definitely worth the time :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, we had some moon and that means I have more time for tests.

Few days ago I passed Pempro for 98 minutes.

This is the graph of capture, without any kind of guidance, of those 90 and a few minutes, the PointXP model stopped.

There are 7 seconds captures using the main camera and with the telescope pointing near the meridian and equator.

spacer.png

I think you can already see a reduced and spaced PE in the time.

Pempro is designed to find PE in mounts with  worm gear and we all know that MEsu does not have that, but you can use it to measure the PE of any mount and look for some frequency where you appreciate a higher PE.

Here is the graph processed with the Pempro log viewer, applying drift correction to hunt the frequencies and get an idea of PE peak to peak.

spacer.png

In that case the figures are: PE of 1.7 arc-sec (Pk-Pk) with a period of almost 1800s (half an hour), with all other frequencies with relatively much lower values.

and here the same data applying drift and rotation correction

spacer.png

In that case the numbers are: PE of 4.6 arc-sec (Pk-Pk) with a period of more than 2500s (more than 40 minutes), with very few additional frequencies and with very low values in them.

I need more captures and more time to be able to make some comparison. And also see what the values are like with the PointXP active (to check its effectiveness)

I'm looking to find some pattern in the PE and try to apply some PEC curve... but as I supposed: it not worth it, with guiding all these errors are corrected without problems, on the other hand, all errors are really small and prolonged in time.
Another thing is to find out the value of drift in RA to adjust the values of the servos into the configuration and reduce/cancel it. For now it seems to be -0.402 arc-sec/minute in RA axis.

But all it's about playing, isn't it?  ;D

By the way, if anyone is interested, ask me for the logs privately.

• 4 weeks later...

After few weeks running and some good weather I have some updates on that.

Here you find the last picture taken with the mount and the RC10, ASI1600MM-C, Astrodon filters and Riccardi. (close to 27kg at 1500mm)

spacer.png

all data of this capture at Flickr and Astrobin

https://www.astrobin.com/slwz3t/

https://flic.kr/p/2hmHkMQ

I could confirm that the mount runs well, the phd2 graphics are very good with long good guiding time, for sure, no frames are excluded because the guiding.

spacer.png

Currently I started a dual column setup on the observatory with the idea to move the second telescope to the main column (mesu200 mount) in dual rig config.

More info at http://astro.carballada.com/first-night-with-dual-column-ager/

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/12/2019 at 00:35, mrpizza said:

Can you tell us how far past meridian your setup can image for?

Chris

As far as I want it to as long as there are no obstructions to the view, but I haven't got to the installation stage yet.

Carballada can probably go for 3-4 hours as he doesn't have a non flip pier, but he'd have to test and let you know himself.

On 04/10/2019 at 14:47, carballada said:

After few weeks running and some good weather I have some updates on that.

Here you find the last picture taken with the mount and the RC10, ASI1600MM-C, Astrodon filters and Riccardi. (close to 27kg at 1500mm)

spacer.png

all data of this capture at Flickr and Astrobin

https://www.astrobin.com/slwz3t/

https://flic.kr/p/2hmHkMQ

I could confirm that the mount runs well, the phd2 graphics are very good with long good guiding time, for sure, no frames are excluded because the guiding.

spacer.png

Currently I started a dual column setup on the observatory with the idea to move the second telescope to the main column (mesu200 mount) in dual rig config.

More info at http://astro.carballada.com/first-night-with-dual-column-ager/

Beautiful image. Stunning.

Olly

Hi , sorry if this is a stupid question ☺️, But  back I need August you posted the video of you moving the balanced scope around , but with the sound up you can here what appears to be gears slipping , though from what I've read the mount is a friction drive , so can you tell me what that noise is please ? , sounds like my CEM60 if I don't wind off the clutches properly when balancing ..  

Brian 

I have the same mount and the motors can be decoupled from the drive disk, therefore freeing it for balancing.

I can’t watch the clip to listen right now but from my point of view it isn’t an issue.

He may have balanced with the motors coupled which will make a noticeable noise like a dynamo.

2 hours ago, Brian28 said:
22 hours ago, Jonk said:

He may have balanced with the motors coupled which will make a noticeable noise like a dynamo.

Ok .

But this doesn't sound like a dynamo ..  

I always balance with the motors coupled (but depowered) - I didn't know they could be decoupled - how do you do that ??

7 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

I didn't know they could be decoupled - how do you do that ??

You buy the Mk2! 🤣

It's one of the improvements over the MK1, but I haven't tested it in anger as the mount is still indoors on a table.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/12/2019 at 10:14, Brian28 said:

Ok .

But this doesn't sound like a dynamo ..  

sorry for the delay, now I have another video balancing the mount, as Jonk said, the movement is completely free, on the e200 or mk2 you detach the motors to the axis

(completely silent :D )

and one of the first movements

• Like 3

On 19/12/2019 at 11:52, Skipper Billy said:

I always balance with the motors coupled (but depowered) - I didn't know they could be decoupled - how do you do that ??

I would also like to know how this is done on the Mk 2. Is there a lever which can disengage and re-engage the drive motors? I’m interested in how difficult this would be to do on the Mk 1 as I would prefer to balance the mount without the drive drag, particularly as mine is, at long last, properly loaded up with kit.

1 hour ago, tomato said:

Is there a lever which can disengage and re-engage the drive motors?

Yes, each motor is on a lever to do just that.

Mine’s packed under a cover outside at the moment but if you wait until Saturday I’ll be able to do a quick video of it.

There are also 2 levers to lock each axis in position.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, I’ve fitted my new weights and recorded a quick clip to show the sound it makes when freewheeling.

I would imagine that it’s roller bearings that can be heard, and as they probably don’t contain oil or grease, this is why it’s audible.

Yes it sounds crunchy but I don’t think it’s anything to worry about.

3 minutes ago, Jonk said:

Sorry for the delay, I’ve fitted my new weights and recorded a quick clip to show the sound it makes when freewheeling.

I would imagine that it’s roller bearings that can be heard, and as they probably don’t contain oil or grease, this is why it’s audible.

Yes it sounds crunchy but I don’t think it’s anything to worry about.

IMG_8928.MOV 18.39 MB · 0 downloads

My Mk1 sound just the same...