NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hey guys.Its kronos here, and i m here with my Celestron firstscope.As you know ,its quite small with a focal lenght of 300mm.That means i can clean the mirros without unscrewing anything.What can i use to clean them that i can find in my house?Also can i use babywipes to clean them?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ideally a mirror should be removed and immersed in water for cleaning, as I do about about once per annum with the mirror of my 14in Newtonian, trying to clean in situo will almost certainly leave smeary marks.

If your mirrors can't easily be removed, then I would also advise don't try to clean them.

John

Just in case you will decide to go for cleaning anyway... which I would not recommend, as yours is more than Clean for it's purpose:

1) use air initially... do not blow at it your self, but if you have a simple "Air Blower", use it first.

2) if dust has not came off after "windy procedures", - not sure how to clean it without taking of primary and secondary... if you take any of them off, you will need to Collimate the scope. 

Collimation of the secondary, - quite a nasty task.. and deserves the special place in hell!!!!

3) better, - do not touch! :)

1 hour ago, Kronos831 said:

Hey guys.Its kronos here, and i m here with my Celestron firstscope.As you know ,its quite small with a focal lenght of 300mm.That means i can clean the mirros without unscrewing anything.What can i use to clean them that i can find in my house?Also can i use babywipes to clean them?

I would leave it. But if you feel compelled then, initially blow large particals off the surface then place it in some water with a tiny tiny bit of pure soap and agitate followed by running your finger tips gently over the surface. After this rinse with distilled water to prevent water marks from forming. 

DO NOT USE BABY WIPES!

Adam

Just test it next possible night :)
Look at the moon and check if you see any obstruction :)

You will not! :)

Of course, I do understand, -  it is annoying to see the dirt inside, but believe me, you will have much more problems once you remove mirrors for cleaning.

Simply ignore

Archived