Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show me your Giro Mount

djpaul

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some of the Giro-style mounts that I've owned. I have retained the Skytee II as it's proved the most capable of all of them. Not perfect but overall it has the highest capacity for it's weight and does the best job of holding my 130mm F/9.2 triplet refractor steady at high powers. I've enjoyed the other Giro-types that I've owned though :icon_biggrin:

P1080670.JPG

amillemount.jpg

ed120giro.jpg

tmb130sabre01.JPG

orionmn61.jpg

takandsw01.JPG

tmb130bbst01.JPG

The one I had was good Paul but the Ercole (pic 1) was better and the Skytee II better still. I rated the Sabre that I had (a mk II) about the same as the Giro II/III (not sure which it is ?) that I used to have (pics 3 and 6). The black mount in pics 2 and 4 was made by Ambermille Engineering in Norfolk and is one of those items that I really should have hung on to - it was really substantial and steady with a large capacity and very smooth action. The DT clamps were rather basic though.

I've owned a couple of Ercole's which are lovely mounts and I really thought (and hoped !) that they would prove better than the Skytee II but it was not (quite) to be with my largest scope. The Ercoles are super quality though and a lovely mount for an ED120 or even a shorter tubed 130mm frac.

I'm told balancing is the key and harder to get right with 2 scopes on a giro mount. 

I will be using a dual mount with an ed120 and zenithstar 73.

Would I be better off with a skytee2?

I have the chance to get a sky tee 2 with adm  saddles and extension pier.

Paul

My Tak 100 mounted on a Skytee 2, its a very stable and steady platform with added bonus of slo mo controls - great for high powered targets!

Have just acquired a Giro Ercole second hand but to early to say how good it is in use. 

984A780E-21D5-4D76-8118-822B2D964AF8.jpeg

2 hours ago, djpaul said:

Hi

I have just been offer this 

Skywatcher Giro 2 

Npt much on google about this model

Anyone know of it or tried it

image1.thumb.jpeg.42dd9b69776837d12c32de9f81eb80c1.jpeg

First time I’ve seen it looks rather nice, I would like to know more about it.

Mines the skytee2, the chap I bought it from had a 14kg 250p reflector on it, along with a big old Meade counter weight.. I used it with a 200p for a while, no issues.. now just has to cope with an 4kg refractor.. I've added a adm saddle, long slow mocontrols and extension.. with a home made tripod.. very steady capable mount..

20180717_205310.thumb.jpg.5b40400cbf2e51c1afdd09b8d616fabc.jpg

Can be good value second hand!

3 hours ago, djpaul said:

Hi

I have just been offer this 

Skywatcher Giro 2 

Npt much on google about this model

Anyone know of it or tried it

image1.thumb.jpeg.42dd9b69776837d12c32de9f81eb80c1.jpeg

Also known as the Giant Alt-azimuth mount:

https://www.365astronomy.com/Giant-Alt-Azimuth-Telescope-Mount-with-Stainless-Steel-Tripod.html

Mark at Beaufort used to have one - it seemed a pretty stable solid mount. Similar in ability to the Skytee II I think.

1 hour ago, djpaul said:

John

Are these still available to buy new?

Paul

Yes - https://www.365astronomy.com/365Astronomy-Giant-Alt-Azimuth-Telescope-Mount-Head-ONLY.html

I think it would fit the EQ5 / HEQ5 tripod.

Apart from a brief go with Marks I've not used one for any length of time. He had a 102mm F/7 refractor on a the time so no strain at all. Its a very similar design to the William Optics EzTouch mount.

3 hours ago, heliumstar said:

Hi Piero, how do you find this combination at higher powers? Which Manfrotto is this?

The Manfrotto model is in my signature. It works fine with my shortest eyepiece f.l. (2.4mm - 150x with the TV60).

My favourite tripod for the TV60 is a video tripod I used some time ago (it's in Italy now holding my mother's binos). It was not easy to use at the zenith because of the tension, but it was very stable for anything else. 

The giro + tripod in the picture are fine with that short telescope though. Light and portable. I use that combo when cycling, but of course it can be taken on a plane easily.

Thanks Piero, missed the sig. I have 60edf and looking for something like this. Looks like a great combination and Manfrotto 190 is actually quite cheap in comparison to 055. The whole setup with mount for around 300. Not bad and very usable.

16 hours ago, heliumstar said:

Thanks Piero, missed the sig. I have 60edf and looking for something like this. Looks like a great combination and Manfrotto 190 is actually quite cheap in comparison to 055. The whole setup with mount for around 300. Not bad and very usable.

I picked up a new 055 Carbon Fibre 4 section a bit less than £200 on Ebay the other day. It's a great tripod.

Archived