Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Oh Joy, thanks neighbours . . .

Tim

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to ask how long they are left on? I have lights which albeit more subtle would affect an astronomer next door. I only put them on when needed though. I hate log burners of any kind as much as lights. They are antisocial in my opinion making the whole area, my clothes and my house (unless I shut all windows) stink.

IMG_20190131_173403.jpg

23 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

I was going to ask how long they are left on? I have lights which albeit more subtle would affect an astronomer next door. I only put them on when needed though. I hate log burners of any kind as much as lights. They are antisocial in my opinion making the whole area, my clothes and my house (unless I shut all windows) stink.

IMG_20190131_173403.jpg

Do those distant City  pose any problem Shane?, do you get much sky glow from them?

My neighbour persists in burning all their paperwork in a clapped out chimenea, and the fumes
are dreadful. I did a Google on this, and apparently it can give out some pretty 
toxic fumes. Their Chimenea is right next to my garage, and the fumes can penetrate under the UVPC trims.

I printed out a paper spelling out the health risks produced by burning paper, and determined to present them with it.
Unfortunately, they are both not well health wise, so I'm reluctant to add  to their troubles.
Ron.

Yeah, the lights are Manchester which is north so I don't bother that way. My obs will be in a well this side of our hedge at the bottom end of our garden. It drops 20 feet from the patio in the picture.

Maybe not burning paper will improve their health!

To be fair to the neighbours.......the lights are not left on all night, and they do tend to go to bed on the early side.  The bloke is an electrician, and because he CAN wire things up, he DOES....... as someone mentioned, lighting up a plain fence seems bizarre

2 hours ago, Tim said:

To be fair to the neighbours.......the lights are not left on all night, and they do tend to go to bed on the early side.  The bloke is an electrician, and because he CAN wire things up, he DOES....... as someone mentioned, lighting up a plain fence seems bizarre

Well, if you're sitting next to me on a bench, just because I can stretch my arms doesn't mean I can poke your nose... :) 

3 hours ago, Tim said:

You'd have thought he'd have left the day-job at work.

That is serious light pollution, Shane's neighbors may be trying to grow their flowers faster?
Or possibly plants that one smokes? Legal where I live but no light pollution of that kind!

Besides it has to be expensive in electricity!

On 02/03/2019 at 08:58, barkis said:

I'll pen a letter to your local Newspaper Tim, drawing attention to  a Hollywood obsessed family who have, without any consideration for the rights of very talented neighbour, who as an Astro Photographer, has captured several awards for his superb images of night sky wonders.  Their backyard over lit swimming pool, has destroyed any hope of any future Astro Photography being possible.  The monstrosity next door has put paid to that.

That seems a reasonable idea.

Now, how many members do we have who could write letters to the "local newspaper" ... with enough people writing, it may even make the nationals ...

Don't listen to You and Yours yesterday, two people rang in basically saying council shouldn't be dimming off lights or even using directional leds as they no longer lit their front door or pavement. Get your own TORCH.

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

Don't listen to You and Yours yesterday, two people rang in basically saying council shouldn't be dimming off lights or even using directional leds as they no longer lit their front door or pavement. Get your own TORCH.

More likely they will install their own mega watt lighting.

Please folks - no more suggestions of any vandalism or anything illegal. Each time a topic like this comes up we get one or two posts that we have to deal with and it's pretty exasperating to be honest with you.

Thanks.

Archived