SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Oh Joy, thanks neighbours . . .

Tim

Saw them mucking about in the garden. Pic shows the new lighting they have installed ? Right next to my obsy. Mind you, if the Coventry gateway South project goes ahead, these lights will be the very least of my worries :(

20190301_183224.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel for you, on the bright side (pun intended, sorry) they are not 100's of watts spotlights shining directly onto your whole property.
Two of my neighbours have 22 floods and spots that illuminate my house and garden rather well.
After some conversation, they were adjusted and shine far less onto my property now, but it took a lot for one of them to oblige.
Perhaps a polite and friendly chat might get things adjusted or a curfew off time set?

I feel for you Tim. Whatever you do don't let it get to you, there's a whole load of grief if you go down that road. I know it's much easier said than done but try to live with it, maybe you will be able to identify some work around. 

Jim 

Perhaps a word along the lines of....Take your choice.

Please pop round and have a look through my telescope. See how your lights are affecting me.

It is strange how these days some people feel the need to leave their outside lights on all the time.
It does though makes sure burglars don't trip in the dark and sue you for the injury and ensure they can see exactly what they are after.

Yes young children are often frightened of the dark. But they usually grow out of it by school age.

Your pastime (illumination) is spreading waste on to my garden.
My pastime is drinking lots of beer and we all know what the waste product is.
Should I return the favour?

I have collection of unused CDs. I also have dozens of old computer software CDs and DVDs that I no longer need.
Would you like me to construct a line of mirrors on top of the fence to reflect the light back to you?

Some are less helpful than others.

I once lost patience with a distant neighbour who had a far too bright light. After gentle words had little effect I went round to his house and shone a torch into his face.
When he asked why, I told him I was simply spending a few seconds doing what he did to me for hours.
Not long after he fitted a different (more sensible) light and it was on for a much shorter time.

The only good thing about them is that they tend to go to bed early. They also installed a huge log burner which runs on the coldest (clearest) nights on my best horizon........

Yikes! Most of these folks just watch TV or surf the web from an interior room where there own brightly lit garden is nowhere in sight, its likely they are extremely concerned about saving the planet though they have no clue why or how ?

I sympathise. My neighbors to the rear now light up their garden and gable end all evening. As long as I point away from that it is bearable. Neighbours are just so selfish and do not care how their actions may affect others.

Peter

I'll pen a letter to your local Newspaper Tim, drawing attention to  a Hollywood obsessed family who have, without any consideration for the rights of very talented neighbour, who as an Astro Photographer, has captured several awards for his superb images of night sky wonders.  Their backyard over lit swimming pool, has destroyed any hope of any future Astro Photography being possible.  The monstrosity next door has put paid to that.

Light pollution is vile enough, without vain people trying to outdo the Kardashian.

Ron 

4 hours ago, SIDO said:

Yikes! Most of these folks just watch TV or surf the web from an interior room where there own brightly lit garden is nowhere in sight, its likely they are extremely concerned about saving the planet though they have no clue why or how ?

In this case, these people are saving the planet.

By discouraging creepy crawlies from their garden, they avoid the pollution that is a consequence of slug pellets, etc.

Quite logical really!

27 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

In this case, these people are saving the planet.

By discouraging creepy crawlies from their garden, they avoid the pollution that is a consequence of slug pellets, etc.

Quite logical really!

A quick google, second item that came up.

New research has found that street and security lights can attract nearly 30 times more slugs and snails to a garden. ... The researchers are unsure exactly why light has an effect, but one theory is that predators such as hedgehogs which feed on slugs are scared away by light, encouraging the slugs to come out.26 May 2018

That is really annoying. My neighbours lit up their trees a while back. Luckily after the novelty of having them lit every night all night they are more often switched off now.

20170916_212256-800x450.jpg.b761f50d2ba5bb6eac2fd79d034a7af5.jpg

One *never knows* with neighbours? Was glad to rid myself of "The Stalker"! ?

I have done a LOT of favours (Cat-minding, even helped put up a new fence) for
my immediate neighbours... but I am more wary now. The endless promises of
return favours... that don't happen. The not infrequent (transparent) LYING... ?

No BIG problems yet... but another one obsessed with converting his small plot
into a sort of "Mar-a-Largo" (No politics please!). lol. He is aware of my need for
darkness... But still put up (slightly irritating) security lights. "Please tell me if it
annoys", he smiles sweetly. Neighbours are devious? It is about impressions...

I THOUGHT we would become Good Mates... He is a keen Photographer... But
it is another difficult area... He has a thriving "grey economy" business in that?
To my mind he treats his Wife disrespectfully, his son is a "Millennial Wimp"...
His parents are "irritating" (I found them to be down to earth and quite fun!)
He treats his Cats neglectfully... Got busted for a (Howling) "Dog Nuisance"! ?

Don't mind me? lol. This whole "neighbour thing" winds me up! ? I still have 
a capacity to make friends! But they tend to live at modest distances away? ?

I feel for you. We, my wife and i , have spoken with our neighbors three times over the past year  with no avail.

They're big claim is security for the firestation.

To my West, I can see very little below 45 degrees above the horizon, but my biggest issue is when I look into my dob, pointed East, I'm facing into their lights.

There goes my night adaptation.

They are having a laugh, surely?

Tim, I seriously think it's time to find a new home.

Or at least contact the local authority and complain about light tresspass affecting sleep. That is a valid complaint that is taken seriously.

Archived