Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

QHY 5 II M - Drivers Help

johnb

Sorry its the old driver issue (I think)

Im running win 10 and have a QHY 5 II M

Installed

QHY5 Driver
Update
ASCOM 4 driver

Camera shows up in Device Manager as: 
Astroimaging - QHY5II

Start Sharp Cap and it finds: QHY 5 II M and connects - however if i start to capture there is just a dark screen (given it day time and the camera has plenty of light I would have expected basically a white screen)

Start QGVideo and it just says No Camera Detected

Im sure it is a driver issues but I find the info online overwhelming as there is so much
Pointers really appreciated

Regards
John B

Louise

At this stage I have not connected the scope etc, the camera will be used for Guiding and maybe moon imaging - I have an SPC900 which works fine in sharpcap so the software is working, however when I use sharpcap and connect to my QHY whilst it clearly connects it seem to do nothing, I would expect to see something in live view when I take the cap off and let natural light hit the sensor

Regards

John B

• 1 year later...
On 03/02/2019 at 13:42, johnb said:

Louise

At this stage I have not connected the scope etc, the camera will be used for Guiding and maybe moon imaging - I have an SPC900 which works fine in sharpcap so the software is working, however when I use sharpcap and connect to my QHY whilst it clearly connects it seem to do nothing, I would expect to see something in live view when I take the cap off and let natural light hit the sensor

Regards

John B

Hi John, 

Just found this thread and wondered if you solved the problem. I'm having exactly the same issue. I have Windows 10, installed drivers and Sharpcap. I get either a dark, light or flickering screen. 

Appreciate your help 

Kind regards 

Simon 

5 minutes ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

Hi John, 

Just found this thread and wondered if you solved the problem. I'm having exactly the same issue. I have Windows 10, installed drivers and Sharpcap. I get either a dark, light or flickering screen. 

Appreciate your help 

Kind regards 

Simon 

What scope have you attached it to? It helps to use a very short exposure and focus during the day on a distant object.

Louise

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply. 

The scope is a Skywatcher evoguide 50ed. 

I tried it in the day but still nothing. I'm not really sure what I'm doing with the settings, so I'm probably down to my incompetence. 

Trying to find a clear and step by step guide is not easy. 

Novice problems!! 

Thanks again 

Simon 

1 minute ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply. 

The scope is a Skywatcher evoguide 50ed. 

I tried it in the day but still nothing. I'm not really sure what I'm doing with the settings, so I'm probably down to my incompetence. 

Trying to find a clear and step by step guide is not easy. 

Novice problems!! 

Thanks again 

Simon 

The camera is very sensitive. Focus can be difficult to find. So best set up during the day with qhy's EZPlanet software. You need a very short exposure - perhaps just a few ms, you have to adjust the exposure so it's nether a bright white field or a pitch black one. Once you have a reasonable exposure then you can try and focus on a distant object e.g. a pylon or church spire that is several km away. The focus point is quite critical.

Louise

OK thanks, I'll try it on a clear dry day. Thanks again for your help. 

I wrongly thought it was a matter of just plug and play. 

I'm guessing that the fact that the screen goes light or dark depending on if I cover the lens or not is good sign that the camera is working?

Just now, Simon Dunsmore said:

OK thanks, I'll try it on a clear dry day. Thanks again for your help. 

I wrongly thought it was a matter of just plug and play. 

I'm guessing that the fact that the screen goes light or dark depending on if I cover the lens or not is good sign that the camera is working?

Yep. Don't worry, with a bit of practice you'll be fine. Once you have focus on a star or the Moon, you probably won't have to focus again.

Good luck

Louise