SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

c9.25 dso imaging and guiding

Hi please could anyone provide me advice about using a C9.25 for deep sky imaging?

I currently have a SW 200P (F5) reflector and a SQ Equinox 80 (F6.25) refractor and an EQ6. I have been guiding reasonably successfully using a finder guider (QHY5).

I'm thinking of changing the 200P to an C9.25 (f10) Schmidt Cassegrain (with a reducer (F6.3)) for a different and hopefully positive experience. I intend to image planets and DSOs and also general observing.

I thinking of setting up my scopes permanently using a dual mounting bar so that I can have both wide field short focal length views and narrow long focal length views. I assume that this is sensible but if not please let me know. :)

I see 3 opions open to me

1. Use the C9.25 with a reducer and a QHY5 finder guider - has anyone have any success with the approach?
  2. Guide with using a combination of the equinox and the QHY5, as both the EQ80 and C9.25 would be mounted on the dual bar. I expect this would be a bit fiddly though as I would need to move the camera when switching between  imaging scopes
  3. Buy an OAG and attach the QHY5 (if this is even possible). This is may least favourite as its additional cost and I have no experience with OAG, but if it mans more time actually imaging that kicking and shouting at my gear then Ill continue saving. :)

Any advice would be very much appreciated before I waste any money and time, as both are always scarce.

Thanks for looking

Ian

1. with C11, "works"

2. not worth it, either 1 or 3

3. Some OAGs are cheaper (Celestron old SCT OAG, some Baader and alike). Use OAG if 1 fails due to mirror flip/flop and alike. I used OAG with SCT for some time. It's very good for guiding but it may struggle to find any guide star.

Archived