Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar system planetary positions

Andy R

Hello all

i am currently using a planisphere and the SkySafari app to basically learn the night sky. What a brilliant tool the planisphere is incidentally, basic but effective. SkySafari too holds a lot of nuggets of information. My question is, are there any phone apps/tools/websites anyone can recommend that shows the planetary positions of the solar system. I read in a thread that Mars is quite far at the moment but I have no idea when it will be near. Same with the gas giants I know when they rise and when they set but when will they be near?

thanks in advance 

Andy r

I assume you have the free version of Skysafari? I have Pro, but I believe Plus is the same ie in the planetary information it tells you when the next opposition is. If you tap the clock next to it it takes you to that time in the star map.

Screenshot_20190202-024225_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

Basically, apart from Mercury and Venus, planets are closest to Earth when they are due south at Midnight (ignoring daylight savings time). 

There are various apps that show you the positions of the planets relative to the Sun and the Earth, if you search for the term Orrery, you should find one that works for you.

30 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

Basically, apart from Mercury and Venus, planets are closest to Earth when they are due south at Midnight (ignoring daylight savings time). 

There are various apps that show you the positions of the planets relative to the Sun and the Earth, if you search for the term Orrery, you should find one that works for you.

Well they tend to be at their highest altitude when due south, but the distance depends on their position in their orbit relative to the Earth and is independent of being due South at midnight. Actual opposition normally happens at a different time eg the next Mars opposition happens at 2.55am.

54 minutes ago, Stu said:

Well they tend to be at their highest altitude when due south, but the distance depends on their position in their orbit relative to the Earth and is independent of being due South at midnight. Actual opposition normally happens at a different time eg the next Mars opposition happens at 2.55am.

Yes, obviously, if you're being  pedantic, that's true - the exact moment of opposition isn't necessarily when YOU are experiencing  local midnight, but the point is that the planet will be due south (or very nearly) at midnight at opposition because we're both going around the sun,  and that's when the Earth is between the planet and the Sun (give or take complications due to the Equation of Timel. 

Here is a quick link for the Sea Sky yearly Astro Calendar, the planetary opposition's, meteor showers and some conjunctions, moon phases and eclipses are noted

...A yearly calendar works as a nice addition to a planetarium app or software and there are many of them publised every year some more inclusive than others of course. As you progress you may seek a more and more detailed annual report to plan your sessions.

http://www.seasky.org/astronomy/astronomy-calendar-2019.html

And here is a monthly publication with more detailed information...

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/649063-february-2019-celestial-calendar/#entry9116640 

Best of Luck ?

Freddie...

11 hours ago, Andy R said:

So much to research and learn thanks all looks like il be buying a few more apps

Apps, like goto kit, may tell you where to look. But not why a planet is where it is.

But if want to understand why a planet is in a particular part of the sky, and why it is smaller, or lower in the sky this year, then read up about planetary orbits.

In reality, planetary views (assuming the planet is reasonably above the horizon and you have a reasonable scope) tend to be determined by our atmosphere.

The sky map/atlas/whatever software is good for allowing you to say things like 'Mars is poor this year, but in 2021 it will be better'.
If you can move the calendar you know it will be higher over the horizon and it's orbit means it will be a bigger disc.
Disclaimer - I have not checked the position of Mars! I only give this as an example of what a half decent computer software package can do.

I have also used planispheres for armchair planning. When I go on holiday in 6 months time, how will the sky look?

Knowing this sort of thing will help you avoid chasing targets that will not give good views.
But you can plan ahead. Do I need a different scope, or mount, or eyepiece to enjoy the (potential) view next time around?

Everyone on SGL is still leaning. Don't rush it. Enjoy it.

Hope this helps, David.

I meant to say that you can also show planetary orbits and paths by selecting them in the settings menu of Skysafari, very handy. You can also go into orbit on any of the planets and then see how the orbits relate to each other.

Screenshot_20190205-064012_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20190205-064109_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20190205-064439_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20190205-064501_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20190205-064545_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

On 05/02/2019 at 02:03, cletrac1922 said:

Andy

Welcome from Land Down Under

I use an APP called HeavensAbove to show live details of planets and other constellations

The APP also gives you flyover of the ISS

John 

Thank you I’m in awe of your night sky btw. Nothing has ever come close to the amount of stars I saw when travelling round oz. 

On 05/02/2019 at 06:47, Stu said:

I meant to say that you can also show planetary orbits and paths by selecting them in the settings menu of Skysafari, very handy. You can also go into orbit on any of the planets and then see how the orbits relate to each other.

I’m definitely upgrading my SkySafari thanks stu

Archived